Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: How many styles of boolits do......

Boolit Master

How many styles of boolits do......

You cast for each caliber? I tend to get alot of molds, try the boolits, find one that I like. Then only cast and load for that combination. 45ACP only load 200gr Lee SWC. 44mag 310 gr Lee RFN. I keep these as my 'can use for what I need' loads. When I find the 'one' load that shoots good , I get rid of the rest of the molds. Have done the same for 7x39.

I am a born 'tinkerer' so I have quite a few. Most of mine are .31 cal for my .303 Brits and .32-20. Always looking for the "better" bullet.

There is some merit is finding the one that works and stickings with it but I would get rather bored rather quickly.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I wanted to try to do that- streamlining down to one mold per caliber- but I find I get bored just casting 1 bullet per caliber. I liked to play with different profiles, but still I don't have more than a couple molds in any one caliber.

I think the most is three in one cal most are two and a few are one.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

can never have too many molds

Boolit Grand Master

I may not use all my moulds but I see no reason to get rid of them. I've done that in years past only to turn around and rebuy what I got rid of because my needs or wants changed later on. Besides when you get rid of something you usually get half of what you paid for it. Right now I am up to 56 moulds an I'm still waiting on 3 GBs. If someone is of need and I don't that's a diifferent story!
    Aim small, miss small!

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    can never have too many molds
    Ditto.

Boolit Master

By having way more 35 caliber firearms, I have way more 35 caliber molds. Some are particulat to one firearm while other work well in several. IMHO never too many molds in ones opinion.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    What ddeaton and Bret4207 said, particularly if it's for a .32 cal rifle!

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    I have about 200 molds This is collected over 50 years of casting I never sell a mold I'm ordering 5 more this week

Banned

11 different 44 cal moulds, and 5 others 44 cal boolits I have a cast from borrowed moulds and one 44 cal GB on the way.

I have 4, 35 cal moulds and 4 other 35 cal boolits I have cast from borrowed moulds.

and the list goes on....

Boolit Master
    I use the different boolit molds in the same caliber to provide an easy last check, before shooting, of the cartridge power level. It's handy for calibers like 45 lc where my old SAANF and New Service can't handle the same stuff I feed the Rugers.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

I own approx. 5 different styles for each caliber I shoot and im always looking for more. I currently own around 65 molds and I believe you can never have too many.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Quote Originally Posted by timberlost View Post
    I have about 200 molds This is collected over 50 years of casting I never sell a mold I'm ordering 5 more this week
    [ Jeff faints ]

I am not worthy.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Cool

The man who has "too many moulds" doesn't have enough guns!
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master

For me, I guess the answer is: "it depends."

Generally, for my auto-loading pistols, I have one mould. (An exception is the 45ACP, for which I have two moulds.) 9mm & 10mm have one mould each, because they are the "general purpose" mould for that caliber, and I use j-word bullets for most of my non-plinking/practice purposes.

Revolvers, on the other hand, are a totally different story. I like having a variety of designs for those. I have four or five moulds for the 38/357, and at least 7 (including two on order from group buys) for the 44. The 44 is definitely a weakness; I LOVE shooting cast boolits in that thing. (My first 44, a high school graduation present from almost 25 years ago, has never seend a jacketed bullet fired in it, and I'm planning on keeping it that way! )

Rifles are a new field for me. I have two 30-cal. rifle moulds right now, and I would like to get two more particular designs. This is where my experimental-mind is really playing havoc...
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
    This is where my experimental-mind is really playing havoc...
    Experimental minded..........................or experimental

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    Experimental minded..........................or experimental
    Probably some of both.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Technology is getting better

Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton and other of our patron saints didn't have access to chronongraphs, pressure testing equipment and the variety of moulds and powders that we take for granted. Veral Smith and Glenn Fryxell's experimenting and writing down their hard earned knowledge have kept us from "re-inventing the wheel." The number of mould makers, both custom and manufacturers like LEE, LYMAN, etc would make some of the early pioneers turn green with envy.

I consider myself average and there are about thirty moulds in my reloading room....30, 357, 44, 45 or for my BIG 50....and I am always looking for more and better.