RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raining Boolits

Boolit Master

Raining Boolits

I always got frustrated when people talk about their molds raining bullets. I’ve had to beat the fire out of my molds to get the boolits dropping - it’s the bottle neck in my casting. I just had my first experience raining boolits. I used a five cavity Al NOE-454-255-SWC mold, lead was around 780F, alloy was 50/50 COWW/SOWW that I fluxed with Root Kill (0.2oz per lb of lead). At first I was beating the mold, noting sticky cavities so I could polish off burrs, wondered if this would be a mold break-in session with little output, and then quite suddenly it started raining! I got 150 boolits in a hour (including the warm-up), and letting the spruce plate cool was my bottle neck. Hopefully this mold performs like this from here on out.

Molds are like Grandma's old cast Iron frying pan.
    They have to season, and get better with use.

I've got a RCBS 2 hole for 190gr .45s.
    I've probably dropped a 5 gallon bucket full of boolits out of it.
    Now, I can see them turn loose of the mold when I just barely open the handles.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I just got a Lee .452-200 6 cavity from a member here. He said it cast very well and it does. I took it out of the box, it looked clean so I set the PID at 720 and when it reached temp I started casting, no cleaning, just lubed the spur plate, pins and hinge points. I culled 17 out of a run of 162 before I had to go in for dinner. It just rains them too.. I have a number of 4 cavity NOE and Mihi that do the same thing but this one the boolits just drop out then you open it shake, close and fill. No tapping it at all. Orygun trained it well.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Borrowed a brand new NOE 402-197 4C off a member here and there was no question when it had finally broken in. My first experience in a rain storm. ; )

Boolit Master

justindad: In my experience a 5 cavity should really put out more than 150 in an hour, more like 400. Try cutting the sprue sooner. With most of my LEE 6 cav and Accurate Molds 5 cavs I can do 5-600/hour on a normal basis.

Boolit Master

Springfield is right. I get more than 150 from a single cavity mold in an hour, including a whack to the handle bolt to open. One every 15 seconds (or less), 3 to 4 per minute, for 60 minutes, is closer to 200.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Y'all are killing me. I don't get near that many due to having to rehydrate often.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    If you're going that fast,it ain't fun anymore.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master

Agreed!

Boolit Master
    I don't agree, because when things are running right, and you can add an ingot once in a while and just keep running, it is hard to stop for any reason. That to me is fun. And your castings can be amazingly consistent.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I don't agree, because when things are running right, and you can add an ingot once in a while and just keep running, it is hard to stop for any reason. That to me is fun. And your castings can be amazingly consistent.
    I agree with this. I get in to a rhythm when it's going good and that is quite enjoyable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I am guessing you don't have severe arthritis in your hands. I can go like hell for a little while but then my hands really start to hurt. I have found it is much better to pace myself and I can go all day that way. I even have a couple 6 cavity Lyman steel molds I can use if I take my time, I have learned to keep a piece of wood in front of the pot and I rest the edge of the mold on that when I knock the sprue and open it. The wood does not draw the heat out.

Boolit Master

I'm certainly not knocking anyone who enjoys a slower pace. This is supposed to be fun. Do what works for you. There are times I want to cast, get everything up to temp. and it becomes a battle to get decent boolits even with molds that normally cast beautifully. I just shut it all down and try again another day. If it is not fun it is not worth it. My livelihood does not depend on it, it's a hobby.

Boolit Master
    Not arthritis but I do have some nerve issues in my arms. I'm one of the 'slow' casters. I can only keep up a pace for about 30min at a time, sometimes only 15min. Then set the mold on a hot plate and walk around a bit. So, yeah, 150-200 an hour even with a 4 cavity mold. With the 2 cavity it is a bit more than half that (the 2cavity doesn't weigh as much, and, yes, my arm can tell the difference).

My rifle shooting is only about 50rnds a week so this really isn't a big deal.

And, yes, I do this for fun I love shooting bullets that I made out to 500yd and seeing a 5inch plate swing (no, not every round ).

Boolit Grand Master

For me, speed, BPH (bullets per hour) or a "quota" removes the pleasure of casting. I don't count the boolits cast and I just stop when I feel like it. No sense in ruining a fun pastime...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I generally cast about 2 hours at a time and I generally get 200-400 bullets depending on t he mould and how good it’s running. I don’t cast in a hurry, but when it’s going good I might run a while longer and enjoy the building pile.

Boolit Master
    With Lee 6 or NOE 5 the production rate is pretty high but find that if every 200 or bullets putting the mold on the hotplate to keep warm and adding a few ingots is a good time for a short break. Wash hands and get a cup of coffee and a puff or two on my pipe re-energizes me. Have bad arthritis as well and this seems to keep the pain at bay. Re-lube the pins and sprue plate and run another 200 or so. Even at this pace can generally get 5-600 in an hour, and nice part can keep the pace up for several hours.

Moderator Emeritus

Raining Boolits, means to me, you don't even need to gently tap the handle/hinge...just open the sprue plate, open the handles and boolits fall out...NO TAPPING.

Honestly, of the 50+ molds I have, I only have one mold that does that, and that is a iron 4 cav Geo Hensley 38-150 WC (circa 1935). Funny thing, this old mold (and especially sprue plate) has many scars from previous owners hammering on it. Most of the corners of the mold blocks are rounded. BUT IT RAINS BOOLITS, right out of the gate (if it's preheated).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use now mainly 5 & 6 cavity brass molds. They do rain boolits!!!!! I generally get 500-550 per hour. A few hours with 4 main molds & am set for several good plinking sessions!....

Boolits sticking to your molds can be a ton of things wrong.

1. Alloy does not shrink enough due to bad/incorrect alloy mix.
    2. Dirty cavities
    3. Too fast a drop after pour
    4. Burr in the mold
    5. Too cold a mold or too cold an alloy
    6. Too hot a mold or too hot an alloy
    7. Not holding your mouth just right
    8. Phase of the moon

I never expect a new mold to perform perfectly. I know it will "get in gear" after a couple hundred are cast.

ALWAYS....................preheat your molds to full casting temp on an electric hot plate!

After that, it is just like Morton salt................"When it rains, it pours!"

banger

Boolit Grand Master

If you have to "beat" a mould to get it to drop boolits ... something somewhere is wrong .
    Even Lee moulds should not require beating and with a little hand finishing and break in ... they don't .

Another little trick to use is a mould cavity release agent ... Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant L504 - 4 ounce liquid bottle . Use a Q-Tip and apply a coat to mould cavities , top of blocks , underside and top of sprue plate ...dries in seconds and the cast boolits want to jump out the cavities , does not cause wrinkles and lead doesn't stick to treated surfaces ... and when coated steel mould sprue plate doesn't rust . I know this sounds crazy ... but the stuff works ...and works great on balky moulds .

I apply with Q-Tip while casting but have bought a spray can of LWDL to spray outside and sprue plate before storing mould . If you spray the insides of your pot and insides of ladle ...lead doesn't stick to these areas . The stuff is a big help in treating areas you want non-stick and it doesn't leave a thick black spray on mess like some spray on mould release agents .

Try it ... might just be the answer to a sticky problem !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast