WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rechargeable weed eaters

Boolit Master

rechargeable weed eaters

today I was working on the lawn, cutting weeds down with a still km131. thing is a 2hp beast of a weed eater.
    ive been thinking of selling my older km130 and getting a rechargeable one.
    I was at the still store last week asking the salesman about them and they only stock the small homeowner ones and the one they currently make that has the same power of the 130 costs just under $1000 for complete package with battery and charger. no way the km 130 will sell for that much.
    has anyone tried a rechargeable weed eater of any brand. what's your experience?
    back when I was younger there was no such thing as a rechargeable drill today its difficult to find a drill with a cord. just saying things change.

I've had a couple and weren't happy with them.
    They either aren't very strong, or the battery doesn't last long enough for what I need to do.

So I went to a shop that is a Stihl dealer and also works on them.
    I got one of the smaller sized commercial ones. I think its a FS 70. It's a beast!

I've been babying it along since the 90s and hope it lasts forever.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have a Ryobi one that I bought for the wife years ago, so she could trim when I was away during the summer working fires out west. We've had it probably ten years... For anything 'lawn' related...it's become the one I grab. But still have my big commercial Stihl gas trimmer for bigger jobs. Battery life is probably 20-25 minutes, which is generally enough for me to take care of trimming around the 'lawn'. We don't really have a lawn...just a patch of weeds and clover that we keep reasonably cut and trimmed around the house, mabye 1/3 acre or so.... It's good for that....but wouldn't try to tackle any major trimming job with it. It just doesn't make the RPMs to tackle big stuff....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Having owned 2 battery weed eaters both were less than expected. Batt life was short, charge time was long and neither lasted more than a year or so..Junk IMO. My stihl is going strong after ten years and uses very little gas for all it gets done..

I have a Snapper 40 volt one that works quite well for cleaning up the yard. It runs for about 35-40 minutes and seems to do as well as any homeowner type machine. It's lasted for three years so far. But for real work, the FS250 2 stroke or the FS111 44-mix are the ones that get used. That 4 mix engine is surprisingly fuel efficient, and since I started running it on Aspen Fuel is always starts and works great.

SKIL PWR CORE 40-volt 14-in Straight Cordless String Trimmer (Battery Included) $159. @ Lowes.

Wife bought it. Ok for yard work. Recharge in under 2 hours. Less the a year old.

If i was buying on- STIHL FSA 130 R

Boolit Master

Like anything else you get what you pay for. Stay with 40 volt. Most likely one extra battery and you will be ready to put the back breaking torture device down before you run out of power. A good electric one is not a whole lot lighter than a gas one, but not having to mess with fuel is sure nice. If I could train a goat not to eat my good plants I would never touch one again of any type.

I have a Lynxx 40 v sold by Harbor freight. Came with some really tough gray string, small in diameter but heck on baby trees and weeds.

This is its third summer, think I've charged it twice. It has yet to run out of juice on me. But I figured after sitting around for a year it would not hurt it to give it a fresh charge. Now I don't have a huge yard, but to me that is all I could ask for and more.

It does not have the typical "bump" string dispenser. But it does feed new line each time it starts. And there is a button you can push if you want more.

Handle is incredibly adjustable for angle, position of forward hand hold, etc. It was around 100$ and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I have several area's where it is hard to get the big mower into and under trees. 5 minutes with the trimmer twice a year knocks down the weeds and trees trying to get started. Poles, signs and traffic lights get hit once in spring when it starts coming up again I nail it with roundup. Might get a cleanup with the trimmer in fall.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I have a Lynxx 40 v sold by Harbor freight. Came with some really tough gray string, small in diameter but heck on baby trees and weeds.

This is its third summer, think I've charged it twice. It has yet to run out of juice on me. But I figured after sitting around for a year it would not hurt it to give it a fresh charge. Now I don't have a huge yard, but to me that is all I could ask for and more.

It does not have the typical "bump" string dispenser. But it does feed new line each time it starts. And there is a button you can push if you want more.

Handle is incredibly adjustable for angle, position of forward hand hold, etc. It was around 100$ and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I have several area's where it is hard to get the big mower into and under trees. 5 minutes with the trimmer twice a year knocks down the weeds and trees trying to get started. Poles, signs and traffic lights get hit once in spring when it starts coming up again I nail it with roundup. Might get a cleanup with the trimmer in fall.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Mold
    I just bought a Stihl rechargeable for the house yard, and I love it. The old one was a 110v corded blackdecker.
    this new battery power beats the 110v in every way

Boolit Master
    The guy next door bought the Stihl with the external battery pack and Loves It. He uses it most on low power but cranks it up for the big stuff. I bought a Shindiawa C344 a couple years ago and it's going to take me YEARS to wear it out before I go electric. Shindiawa is the best gas powered, Echo bought them a few years ago. Weedwacking is serious business here for fire clearance.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I've an Ego 56 volt I think it's a bit heavy but does the perimeter of my yard 140ftx48 ft and rhe front of my house. Bought it mainly due to the warranty 5 years IIRC. Batteries are cheap either but charge up in less than an hour.

Boolit Master

I bought an EGO last summer. Not sure which battery it came with. The manual shows 4 levels from 2.5 amp hour to 10 amp hour. I feel sure that mine is one of the lower capacity batteries. Since my yard is fairly small, I can usually go over it twice on one charge.

The only criticism I have is that replacing the string is something I haven't mastered yet. I can't get the lower end to release so I can access the spool. Next week I'm going to call customer service to see what I'm missing. If I can shoot a .475 Linebaugh without dropping it, surely I have enough hand strength to push the tab to release the lower end.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

I've had the EGO for about three years now. I takes two charges to do my trimming as it can get thick in areas. I start trimming till it dies. Use the push mower then the ride on then back to trimming as it usually is charged by then. It is a bit heavy but you learn to tuck the battery under your forearm for balance. Other than wishing it could do the whole yard on a single charge, no complaints.

Boolit Master

I bought a Stihl 2 stroke weedeater a couple years ago. It is light, plenty of power and starts every time. It cost $210. I cannot imagine spending $1K on an electric weedeater.

If you cannot get gas, you will have more problems than keeping your yard nice. Plus, I'll bet that Stihl will still be going after the batteries on an electric unit are obsolete.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I bought a Stihl 2 stroke weedeater a couple years ago. It is light, plenty of power and starts every time. It cost $210. I cannot imagine spending $1K on an electric weedeater. If you cannot get gas in NY, you will have more problems than keeping your yard nice.
    I believe the $1000.00 price tag was with a bunch of attachments. If I were to go electric I would look at the brand my current gas tool was. Most likely they will use the same attachments.

I use a 20V B&D. Works for me. I've had it over 15 years. I have about an acre and a half, 50% trees, rest grass. I used to rent a big gas Stihl to knock down the grass if we were having a dry fire season. Dumb thing would not start hot so I wasted time I was paying for letting it cool after every refuel. So I just decided to do it with my 20V. It takes longer even with several batteries but I just work on the parts as they cure and it gets done and is sure easier on my back. I've been using it for nearly 10 years now and it just keeps going. I also got a little chainsaw using the same batteries that I leave in my Jeep. I rigged a set up to charge batteries off the Jeep. I've used it twice to cut out trees that have fallen across the road. Not a powerhouse saw but gets the job done and doesn't stink up the Jeep with saw gas so I always have it with me. YMMV
    Dennis

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Milwaukee m18. Lasts an hour 2 speed settings. Cuts thru most homeowner weeds. Batteries charge fast.

Mine is the split shaft, so i have a pole saw too. Lots of power for chestnut, fir, alder limbs up to 5-6 inches. 1 8ah battery can create 4-5 hours of dragging or chipping limbs with a 4 wheeler...

I still have a gas weedeater too for the bigger jobs away from the house.

I've a stihl that was the top of the line homeowner model when I bought it roughly 15 years ago. I used it on 3 acre lot for about 4 years till we moved, it would outlast me easily... it was intermittently used on my first home up here for 5 years and now back to hard work on my current location back in the woods. Replaced the bulb once. Starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull, and just works. Battery machine would have been replace two time..... not for me

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My gas powdered Stihl, bought in 2000 still works great. I'm on large acreage so an electric is out of consideration. I did buy an electric with two batteries to try. . It was always going dead on me . Very frustrating. Add some fuel to the Stihl, same as I use for my Stihl chain saws, a crank or two , & away I go. Lots of power , for even the toughest weeds. Add my saw blade to the Stihl, & cut down small brush. Maybe some day electrics will be practicle for me , but for sure not now.