WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennis elbow

Boolit Master

Tennis elbow

I have suffered from what I am calling tennis elbow for about 10 months now. It is affecting my ability to shoot pistols. I have tried ice, compression bandages and Aspercreme but no help. No pain until I try to lift something or move my elbow. If I talk on the phone and hold the phone up for a while there is tremendous pain when I move my arm. Any remedies or supplements?

Boolit Master
    ii can tell you from experience the last thing you want is those shots where the orthopedic surgeon takes a syringe and jabs you about 30 times injecting a little bit of stuff each time.
    best thing to start with might be therapeutic excercises like a physical therapist would teach. probably can find such excersizes online somewhere

Count yourself lucky. It could be worse.
    Be glad you don't have golf balls.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Cortisone will work for a while- then it won't. In my experience.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I developed a really bad case of tennis elbow after using a two stroke weed eater in an awkward position for several hours. It sucked, so I totally feel for you.

Anyway, the Tyler Twist described in this video fixed it. I did the exercise religiously...it took a couple months, but it's 100% back to normal with no pain and full mobility now. Seriously...Cured it.

https://youtu.be/we4UoiKG3Co

You'll need this Theraband Flex Bar as well:
    https://smile.amazon.com/TheraBand-T.../dp/B00067E4YU

I have had tennis elbow a while and it finally started getting better. Mostly what I did was wear an elastic elbow brace. It helped a lot when sleeping. That and I did some cold and heat a while. Mostly heat though.

Had it pretty bad one time. I was told to buy the little strap that you place on your forearm just below the elbow! I called “BS”…..but made an immediate difference. Within a couple of months of dedicated wearing….healed! I’m a believer! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Buddy

I found a elbow wrap called "The Bandit" Two foam cushions with a velcro strap to tighten below the elbow. One cushion up and one down. Used to wear for 6 to 8 months at a time. More cofortable than elastic wraps, GW

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    Had it pretty bad one time. I was told to buy the little strap that you place on your forearm just below the elbow! I called “BS”…..but made an immediate difference. Within a couple of months of dedicated wearing….healed! I’m a believer! memtb
    This worked for me!

Boolit Master
    Are you on colesterol meds by any chance...... Worst joint pain I encountered prior to my bad meniscus tear was from statin drugs. Didn't realize it until I went on vacation and forgot the drugs, and realized about halfway through vacation that, for the first time in months, I wasn't in pain any more!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

I had it very bad in Nov 2020, I got it from painting and lifting (40) sheets 4 x 8 x 5/8" of siding by myself. Griping the paint roller handle with repetitive motion. Also rushed to put in (6) 16" dia x 48" deep deck footings before frost.

An old friend is an occupational therapist, she gave my some exercises to do twice per day. Ice and Ibuprofen and do not grip anything tightly and rest. It was horrible very difficult to sleep and painful to drive a car. If I made a fist the pain was instant or twisting wrist like using a screw driver was extremely painful. Shooting a revolver was very painful. It took about 5 to 6 months to stop hurting.

PT is the only way.....unless you are lazy. Sure...take the drugs but that just masks the problem.
    It will take 3-6 months of PT to get rid of it.
    I am working on bursitis now and it has been three months of PT....but it is getting better.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Been through it myself. Anti inflammatory drugs help as well as the band that goes around the big muscle just below the elbow. But it takes months to improve.

Boolit Master

I have been playing tennis since I was 8, I was also a tennis instructor, and I know about tennis elbow.
    Cortisone is a possible remedy but you can't over use it. The repeated use of your arm in a certain way is the root problem. Biomechanics and changing or modifying how you use your arm is the basic solution.
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy

They call it Golf or Tennis elbow for which ( upper / lower) hurts, Have never done either but chain saw really rips mine up GW

Boolit Master

Having "been there, done that", my recommendation is to see your physician for a referral to an athletic physical therapist. Over a two-year period, I ran the whole gamut of braces, OTC pain relievers, U-tube exercises, and "this worked for me" cures: all of which provided different levels of temporary relief. Finally, I went to my Persona Care guy who sent me to a PT who prescribed cold packs and a set of daily exercises. During treatment, I had a weekly session with my PT where he monitored my progress and modified my exercises as I progressed. This was about 12-15 years ago and ever since, I've been very conscientious about wearing a sleeve-type brace whenever I'm doing anything that might stress that elbow.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

I Stopped playing tennis and started taking Aleve (Naproxen Sodium), Excedrin and/or Ibuprofen , three OTC non-steroidal anti-inflammatories . I find all three help with inflammation and pain ... I don't take all three at once ...one some days and another on a different day depending on the pain .
    Tennis Elbow sounds nice but bottom line it is a form of old fashioned Arthritis with inflammation and pain . These OTC products work as well as shots, pricey perscriptions and they are non-steroidal .
    Do a search of the term - Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) and you can also read all about it at www.verywellhealth.com
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Be careful with Aleve...I have chronic gastritis courtesy of a incompetent MD insisting that it was safe to take more of that crap than the dose recommended on the bottle.

Tennis elbow isn't really arthritis as it's not inflammation of the joint. It's a tear injury caused by repetitive overloading of the tendons. Usual cause is a strength imbalance in the muscles of the forearm.

Pills and those strapy things can help the acute symptoms by reducing pain and inflammation and removing some of the load on the tendons so they can begin to heal, but the proper long term solution is correcting the strength imbalance that lead to the injury in the first place. This requires a regimen of specific exercise and time.

So you can go see your dr, then go to a PT. If you're lucky and get a good PT they'll help with the right exercises. If you get a bad PT (and there are LOTS of bad PTs...) they'll waste your time with IR lights, electro-stimulation, and other hokery that will only serve to reduce the inflammation in your wallet.

Or, you can short cut all that nonsense...Watch the Tyler Twist exercise video I posted, spend $13 on a flexbar, then do that exercise 15x a day. You'll be healed in a couple months and it won't easily come back.

Boolit Master
    Don't play third base. Daughter could make the throw from third to first better than anyone on her high school softball team. She was doing fine until tennis elbow struck. Gave up on softball and became a goalie in soccer and water polo. Water polo coach liked it when she would come out of goal to mid pool and score from there. didn't do it enough to bring on a sore elbow but often enough to win games.

My orthopedist put me in a wrist brace (for "tennis elbow") and gave me exercise to do.

When I complained about the length of time to heal, his comment was "yes it takes time, and it sucks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast