Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bean time

Boolit Master

Bean time

Putting up first picking of (rattlesnake) pole beans. So far 10 Qts. Processing this morning. Shooting for at least 52 Qts. Anything extra go to neighbors and friends.

Already gave away about 100 # new potatoes extra and storing about that many in cold storage and in hay barn with lime and hay covering.

Waiting on tomatoes and okra, tomatoes soon okra later in summer if we get more rain. Peas off to a good start with keeping deer out, 3 strand electric fence and panel fence kept them out last year along with some lead deposits.

How’s everybody’s garden doing?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

my beans are just now popping out of ground. had to spray for aphids today, they are spraying the neighbouring hay fields for them and chasing them all to me.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

heck, I'm not even going to plant beans until after this weekend.

Moderator Emeritus

Beerd, the only thing I put in the ground before Memorial day is potatoes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Beans have flowers on them. Cucumber flowers and two started, tomato flowers, blueberries already beginning to pick the early ones. Already cut some thyme and used it, likewise rosemary, and have cut and dried bunches of oregano. Peppers have buds - and the Jerusalem artichokes are knee high.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Only thing I'm growing this year is green chiles. Lot of Hatch and Mirasol - rain was too sparse to do much else.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    heck, I'm not even going to plant beans until after this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Beerd, the only thing I put in the ground before Memorial day is potatoes.
    I gamble and tried planting carrots & beets about 10 days ago, might get lucky.

Boolit Master

Not much planting around here until Memorial Day weekend. Heck, we had snow here for Mother's day. Been so wet lately the garden is just mud. Just dried out a little last week and got to till our garden a few days ago.
    Hope to get some planting done this weekend if the rain holds off.

Boolit Master

I just planted our beans last week.

Moderator Emeritus

My strawberries are producing like crazy. Started with five plants last year and my berry patch now has around thirty. Made preserves last night. We've picked about 10 lbs already. My lettuce is doing nicely. We found six plants around the area where we were growing them in buckets last year. Seems when I was collecting seed or mother nature let some eyes out. Have about three dozen of them growing. PM
    Peppers and some experimental corn from Costco fresh corn (delicious) actually sprouted so next year will be a go for really planting them. Tomatoes, potatoes, beans, etc will be planted this week. We are very small scale.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    My strawberries are producing like crazy. Started with five plants last year and my berry patch now has around thirty. Made preserves last night. We've picked about 10 lbs already. My lettuce is doing nicely. We found six plants around the area where we were growing them in buckets last year. Seems when I was collecting seed or mother nature let some eyes out. Have about three dozen of them growing. PM
    Peppers and some experimental corn from Costco fresh corn (delicious) actually sprouted so next year will be a go for really planting them. Tomatoes, potatoes, beans, etc will be planted this week. We are very small scale.
    Mr Wolf, I live in SW PA north of Pittsburgh, so I'm guessing our climate is similar to yours. I have thought about strawberries for a while, but never had luck growing them in the past. Do you have any tips on growing them? I am guessing that you have everbearing, rather than June bearing.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Mr Wolf, I live in SW PA north of Pittsburgh, so I'm guessing our climate is similar to yours. I have thought about strawberries for a while, but never had luck growing them in the past. Do you have any tips on growing them? I am guessing that you have everbearing, rather than June bearing.

Wayne
    Wayne,
    Honestly I have no clue what I am doing or what I have. Seriously. We went to the nursery so my gf could get tomatoes and they had a flat with the five Strawberry plants. Knew I wanted to make a "berry patch " at the corner where I have a 275 gal tote rain barrel. I had put a white lil picket type fence around it. Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are planted with the latter two being trained to cover the fence and rain barrel. For the strawberries, I just kept taking the runners and planting them in those small black pots, then replanting them. We just took another almost five pounds out tonight and my gf said there are still more ripening. I have no idea what I am doing gardening but am trying different things. Honestly, I am not much of a vegetable eater but trying to learn. I also planted two small cherry trees next to the existing apple trees. Fruits I like
    Ron

I think about four or so years ago I did roto till that area and put down cow manure. Can't think of anything else.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 05-29-2022 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Remembered something

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty. I am much the same way; I never plant the same kind of tomatoes twice, because I just want to see what will happen.

Wayne

So, when we told a friend that we wanted to grow strawberries, she said she had a patch that she wanted to thin, and would give us some plants. We'll see how they do.

Wayne

Boolit Master
    Hard to beat canned green beans from the garden.

I gave up on gardening after a crop of beans. A few years ago I had a whole stand of purple hulls getting ready and I was watching carefully for just the right time to harvest. Turned out I wasn't the only one watching. Went out in the morning to pick and not a bean was left, deer had stripped them clean overnight!
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Master

How does one from Mississippi not know that purple hulls are peas, not beans?
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

Wayne, strawberries reproduce by runners. You will have plants that you plant and they will produce strawberries - and runners that start new plants. These plants will produce for several years, so do not remove the original plants. The runners will produce berries next year, or later this year for the everbearing type. And they will produce runners, and so on, as long as you want to increase your patch. At some point you will replace your original plants with runners, and you have come full circle.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Wayne it looks like my strawberries have stopped producing like they were. The patch is about 5'x7' and we got almost 30 lbs from it over the last month or so. Curious if it will be done for the year. Good luck with yours.
    Ron

Boolit Master

Picked a mess of bush beans yesterday for son’s family.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast