Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pocket 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I opted for a Browning Model 1955........

That's a beaut!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I had a chance to pick up a Glock 43 for the first time yesterday along the side of a P365. Boy that glock with the wider grip sure fits in my big hand better and I can see the white sites easily. That’s the issue with just about all of the micro 9’s…I can’t see the sites after Lasik surgery. I can see a country mile now but fuzzy up close. I need reading glasses now where before I didn’t. Just wish it had a manual safety and held a few more. The trigger on the Glock was horrible compared to the P365. I can see the p365 sites but they sure don’t stand out and I almost have to look for them. The Glock comes up natural and quick for me. Most switch out the factory glock sites but I like them. Guess I could do a 25 cent trigger job like in my 20. Think I’m leaning toward the 43. Time will tell once my guns get sold hopefully in the next week. Figure if I’m going to buy a carry pistol I am planning on trusting my life on I want to spend a little more on a reliable pistol. Seems like from what I’ve read the Glock and Sigs seems to function the most reliable out of all the micro 9’s. I like the Kahr cm9 but my smith says he has had a lot of them in his shop because they wont feed and function properly.

I like this one!...lol

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/934498372
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-10-2022 at 03:24 PM.

I bought a kimber micro9 a few years back and have usually carried in one of a couple of holsters. Way shooting it the other day and had the nylon holster it came with. Got to looking and took off the metal belt clip (its switchable left to right) then put in the 6 round mag that is slightly recessed. The dang gun surprised me by fitting I a couple pair of my jeans. With the extended 7 or 8 round mags its long, but heck I can put 7 in it and have spare 8 round and be a pocket gun. I've got a couple of taurus Spectrums in 380 that are slightly larger.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Kahr CM9 has been great for me.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Pocket 9 choices.

These days, we have more choices in a pocket 9mm handgun than one can shake a stick at. And that's a good thing. I don't think there is a one 'best' in the bunch, I don't care who built it. Sure, there are some I wouldn't advise a friend on buying, but I'll keep those thoughts to myself. Others may own that very gun and love it. To each their own.

I think the things a person needs to consider is, what works for them? Will you buy it, take a couple of boxes of ammunition to the range and test it for reliability? Will you spend the money for the expensive carry ammunition you intend to carry in it to bet your life on and test it? How often do you intend to shoot it to feel proficient with it?

That being said, none of us are built alike. I've been called 'ham fisted' since I was a kid, I'm 68 now and my hands haven't shrank a bit. Getting into one of my front pockets pronto isn't always easy, add to that I'm trying to get a hold of my weapon and pull it out, quickly.

Pick a gun you like and are comfortable with. Learn to dress around the gun, shoot it often when possible to stay proficient with it.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I have never seen a pocket 9mm that I consider to be shootable enough for me to practice with it. It's just too much power in a little jumpy package. Of course, it could be that I am too particular about how small a gun has to be before I would consider it pocket-worthy. To me, a gun isn't a pocket gun unless it fits comfortably and concealably in my smallest pockets. The fact that I can shove a pistol into the massive pockets on some of my jeans doesn't really qualify anything for pocket status.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Some people are hard to satisfy. Unless something is near perfect it is useless to them. I like my Hellcat. It shoots as well as I can hold it and conceals in clothes I wear. But then again I have been carrying a 5 inch 1911 45 Auto OWB. I sometimes carry it IWB too. I have smaller 1911's in 45 Auto too. But as a "pocket" pistol I like the Hellcat.

Some small 9’s are much more comfortable to shoot than similarly sized 380’s. Try shooting an AMT SS .380…..painful!

If you have the opportunity…..go to a gun store or shooting range that offers handguns you can shoot. You may find something that will work great for you in a “pocket carry” 9mm! Just a thought! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Well I just sold two guns here in the last couple of days to put money towards a conceal and carry so game is back on! Still leaning towards the Glock 43 or P365. Just wish I had a place around me where I could try and shoot them both and see which one I like or if I like either.

Boolit Master
    So you have totally ruled out a Hellcat or a M48 Glock?

I want to go extremely small and prefer a manual safety. The 43 is longer than the P365 and no manual safety. The 43 fits my hand better than the thin grip on the P365. If the sig had a wider grip I would have already bought it. My hands are just a little to big for the sig but figured maybe I’d get use to it. None of the other 9’s really do it for me accept for the S&W CSX. Fits my hand great and has a safety. Kinda heavy and I’ve read and watched YouTube showing there are trigger reset issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I want to go extremely small and prefer a manual safety. The 43 is longer than the P365 and no manual safety. The 43 fits my hand better than the thin grip on the P365. If the sig had a wider grip I would have already bought it. My hands are just a little to big for the sig but figured maybe I’d get use to it. None of the other 9’s really do it for me accept for the S&W CSX. Fits my hand great and has a safety. Kinda heavy and I’ve read and watched YouTube showing there are trigger reset issues with it.

Which Sig did you try…..a 928! The 938 is relatively small and has a 1911 style safety! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

I agree about different guns recoiling differently as memtb mentioned above. I finally got a Walther PP 7.65 and the beautiful accurate little thing actually was no fun due to the recoil in the web of my hand.
    On the other extreme, my Shield 40 2.0 doesn't bother me at all.
    BTW my Shield is small- and has a thumb safety.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    Which Sig did you try…..a 928! The 938 is relatively small and has a 1911 style safety! memtb
    I did like the feel of the 938 as well. Think it was around $650 vs $448 and $499 of the other two.

Boolit Master
    My lgs quit selling Kel Tec handguns because so many proved defective. I own a 9mm single stack Kel Tec that went back to the factory three times and still does not function. Now that my health has failed, and I'm no longer able to shoot, I will have my mechanic destroy it with a torch. The Kel Tec customer service people are very nice and courteous. They really try hard to please their customers.

M&P SHIELD PLUS

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    My Hellcat has a safety.

Does anyone actually carry a naked gun in their pocket ? Ever tried to get it out while sitting ?

There is however a reverse pocket holster and draw.

A 4" security six is perfect for reverse pocket carry and draw.

I use to with my nano. Never had one in the chamber. I guy I grew up with Use to with his Ruger LCR.

Boolit Master
    The only time I pocket carry is at home. I never pocket carry any other time. It is too hard to get it out of the pocket. Especially when seated in a car. Holster carry for me. I am almost 70 and still can carry a 5 inch 1911 without any problem. And a M69 Smith. When I got my Hellcat and the M48 Glock I carried them a couple time just to try them. They are nice but I carried them IWB. The two guns I carry most are a Glock M30 and a 4 or 5 inch 1911. No pocket carry for me outside the home base. Even then I have my primary carry gun very close by.