MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the of +P ammunition on guns not rated for its use?

Question What is the of +P ammunition on guns not rated for its use?

I'm new to reloading and newer to this community. I have only reloaded for .380 and .38 special so far.

I'm curious about the effect that +P ammunition would have on a revolver not designed for its use. I can understand the effect +P ammo would have on a semi-auto pistol: Increasing the slide velocity and battering the moving parts into each other faster than the design intended.

I'm having a harder time understanding what happens to a revolver when +P ammo is used. I'm not talking about double-charged ammunition or similar gross overpressure situations.

I've read speculations about frames stretching but little in the way of first-hand information.

I guess the reason I'm curious is that some years ago, my friend and I each had a .38 special. His was all steel with thicker cylinder walls than mine. It was a Taurus and NOT rated +P. Mine was a Ruger and had (has... I still have it) +P printed on the side of the barrel. I can't figure out what +P would have done to my friend's revolver over time.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Might not blow it up but will definitely wear it out faster.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I think that describing your revolver of choice might be a good place to begin.
    +P = + Problems in ANY gun not designed to handle that sort of pressure.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Might not blow it up but will definitely wear it out faster.
    I've seen people say that. What wears out? Locking lug? Firing pin/Hammer? Forcing cone? Why and how?

As far as my gun, it's a Ruger LCR. https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5431.html

As I said, I'm curious and trying to learn.

- Saint Augustine

Boolit Buddy
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it was advances in heat treating technology that allowed the +p in revolvers. If this is true than I would say that any steel component that is exposed to chamber pressure would be the parts that would take the greater wear in a non +p rated revolver.

So the cylinder would stretch? Would it be measurable before catastrophic failure?

- Saint Augustine

So in the late 70’s to mid 90’s, Colt used to put the recommendation in its owners brochure of the D frame revolvers (detective special, agent, cobra, police positive special and diamondback) that after 1k rounds of plus P in its alloy frame guns and 3K rounds on its steel frame guns to have either the factory or a service center check the gun out for wear and proper function. One of my carry guns is an alloy agent stuffed with plus P. I practice with standard ammo and have fired a few cylinders of plus P.

Your not going to stretch a steel cylinder. But it’s possible that long term use of plus P could loosen the alloy frame. Possible.

Loosen what in the frame? and how?

Is it through shock? Vibrations? I'm really curious for details.

- Saint Augustine

Boolit Master

Metals of yesteryear were not as strong as todays alloys. Also smaller pistols are made small for reduced weight. There is not as much "meat" to take the forces of high pressure loads. Two areas of concern are the breechface that holds the cartridge from moving rearward when fired. Next are the hand ,hole in the frame where the hand is lifted through, and the cylinder notches. These areas are subject to stress and wear when a cartridge is fired. After abuse they affect the lock-up and the pistol will be out of "time". The cylinder notches are wider, the end of the hand gets tapered and the slot in the frame gets wider thus allowing more rotational wear that allows shaving of lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    The specific cause of the damage is the increased force of the bullet slamming into the forcing cone, driving the barrel forward and drawing the topstrap along with it while the cartridge case is driven to the rear.

The problems that I have seen have been frame stretch, specifically top strap stretch, and excessive fore and aft play on the cylinder, resulting in an enlarged barrel cylinder gap and occasional light hammer strikes due to the cylinder not being held as firmly to the rear. The repair involves inserting washers to reduce the cylinder end-play and removing the barrel, turning the shoulder to allow it to be screwed in one more turn and the forcing cone cut to proper length to correct the barrel-cylinder gap.

Oh and it also involves money, about three Benjamins worth, maybe more, depending on the severity of the damage.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have LOTS of experience with this, having worn out or destroyed a dozen .38 revolvers shooting +P and +P+ in guns not suited for them.

Failure mechanism is frame stretching in which gun develops cylinder end shake. Once end shake exceeds about 0.002" with each round cylinder setback pounds frame to increase head clearance. After about 500 rounds end shake will reach 0.002". This can be corrected by stretching S&W crane or swaging cylinder bushing on Colt, but will increase barrel-cylinder gap. On S&W crane can be stretched only twice before gun originally built at Mean Assembly Tolerance of 0.005" pass/0.006" hold barrel cylinder gap will increase to barrel-cylder gap of max. 0.008" pass/0.009" hold. Once gap exceeds .0.009" it is necessary to either set barrel back (gunsmith fix) or refit "long" +0.005" cylinder (factory fix). Velocity loss in .38 Special.is about 10 fps for each 0.001" increase in cylinder gap above Mean Assembly Tolerance, 20 fps for .38 Spl. +P and 30 fps in .357.

If not corrected cylinder to recoil shield head clearance will increase above 0.065" max. and the combined effect of loose head space and excessive and shake will cause light strikes and misfires.

Driven protrusion of striker point should be in range of0.028-0.032" with centrality of striker being off no more than 1/2 the diameter of the striker point. Striker indent measured on annealed copper cylinder must not be less than 0.010" for .38 Special or 0.011" in .357 measured in DA with muzzle horizontal.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-27-2022 at 12:17 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I love this forum. I learned a lot on this thread.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I would think frame Strech and top strap failure along with cylinder failure. My nephew blew a cylinder on a SW36 3 inch with +p loads.

Go for it if you want to shoot +p's but you have been warned it may not turn out well.

Very informative info. Thanks all, and to outpost specifically.

Boolit Buddy
    Handloader magazine, I think it is the latest issue has an article on 45 Colt +P. Might be worth a read as the author discusses different makes of revolvers and what makes them suitable or not for the different pressure levels of ammo. Not quite as detailed as some of the info posted here but still worth a read.

I try not to overthink this sort of thing.

Compare shooting +P in a gun not designed for them to driving the family car at 125mph.
    It'll do it, for awhile. But it'll last a lot longer if you keep it under 80 most of the time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If I'm not mistaken, Taurus says that all their .38 Special firearms are +P rated except the magnesium frame versions.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacts View Post
    I'm new to reloading and newer to this community. I have only reloaded for .380 and .38 special so far.

I'm curious about the effect that +P ammunition would have on a revolver not designed for its use. I can understand the effect +P ammo would have on a semi-auto pistol: Increasing the slide velocity and battering the moving parts into each other faster than the design intended.

I'm having a harder time understanding what happens to a revolver when +P ammo is used. I'm not talking about double-charged ammunition or similar gross overpressure situations.

I've read speculations about frames stretching but little in the way of first-hand information.

I guess the reason I'm curious is that some years ago, my friend and I each had a .38 special. His was all steel with thicker cylinder walls than mine. It was a Taurus and NOT rated +P. Mine was a Ruger and had (has... I still have it) +P printed on the side of the barrel. I can't figure out what +P would have done to my friend's revolver over time.
    https://www.nde-ed.org/Physics/Mater...ormation.xhtml Ever bent a piece of metal? Ever bent a piece of metal until it breaks? If you don't bend it too far, it will regain its original shape. If you keep bending it, you'll get stress fractures, and it will eventually break. With a gun, it depends on how much you shoot it. Shoot a hundred rounds a week at normal pressures it might last a lifetime or more. Shoot a thousand rounds a week at normal pressure it might still be good for a life time, but maybe not. Shoot a hundred rounds a week at +P pressures, on a gun not designed for them, and it might only last 10 years. The cylinder is going to stretch a bit. A microscopic bit, truly, but still it stretches. The more you shoot it that way, the shorter its life will be. If you're only shooting +P ammo in defensive situations, or the occasional short practice with +P ammo, it's not going to get as much wear as if you shoot a hundred +P rounds a week.

I have a Stevens Favorite single-shot rifle that my dad bought broken in late 40's or early 50's. It's an 1889 model, from the internal parts. One of his repairs was to put a blob of brass braze on the shank of the screw that held the lever in, and then file it to replace the broken head of the screw. All my younger brothers and sisters learned to shoot with that rifle, which was designed when .22LR was a black powder load. Modern smokeless powder loads are more powerful and higher pressure than the original load. Eventually, that rifle started leaking around the shell, and we retired it as a wall hanger. We thought the barrel & chamber was shot out. I really wanted to shoot it again, and was bored to tears during the Covid-19 lockdown, so I bought replacement screws for the ones he'd repaired or replaced. Turned out that brazed head had stretched out, and the breach wasn't locking up. Shoots as well as it did when I was kid now. Might not have done that will a steel screw, though if we'd keep shooting it, it might be truly worn out by now.

Any part of the revolver that gets movement caused by the powder burning in the cylinder is going to get a little wear. The frame, the center pin, the bore of each cylinder, the extractor, and all those related parts that touch one another, including the face of the frame that the cylinder rests against. Also, you're going to get more flame cutting from the higher pressures, which will cause additional wear to the cylinder bore, forcing cone, and barrel, as well as the face of the frame around the cylinder gap.

Only you can determine if that is a deal killer for you or not. If you want to pass your firearms down to your kids as something other than a wall hanger, maybe you shouldn't be using +P ammo in a gun not designed for it. If you consider guns expendable it might be the right choice for you. Though, personally, I'd rather they last a lifetime or two, like my Favorite. I've been been buying sub-sonic .22LR for my Favorite, because I want my grandkids to learn to shoot with it, too, if I have any.

HTH!

Bill

Boolit Master
    Thank You Mr. Outpost75! (insert loud explosion noise here) Detailed description with dimensions and it just doesn't get any better than that, copy made and placed in S&W library.

I don’t recall where I read it now, but I read where they proofed revolvers and the barrel cylinder gap would open .003 from frame stretching, just from the firing of those proof loads.