Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bevel base pistol bullet opinions.

Boolit Bub

Bevel base pistol bullet opinions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 MM BB.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	300595
    I did search this and read some discussions, accuracy and leading being the main topic. Just wanted to toss this up for some opinions if any would care to give them. I ordered it a couple years ago or better, had not used it yet, remembered it when I pulled it off the shelf. Figured they would load really easy and I'd give it a try, didn't think about some of these cons when decided upon it. Haven't shot any yet, just cast some up yesterday.
    Last edited by Manns50; 05-26-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Things don't always work out as expected once the trigger is pulled. I expected a bevel base would be prone to leading and also have less accuracy then a flat plain base. Nope, my bevel base in 357/38 doesn't leave a trace of lead and is actually a tad more accurate that flat plain base. Best to try things and let the results be your guide.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by unique View Post
    Things don't always work out as expected once the trigger is pulled. I expected a bevel base would be prone to leading and also have less accuracy then a flat plain base. Nope, my bevel base in 357/38 doesn't leave a trace of lead and is actually a tad more accurate that flat plain base. Best to try things and let the results be your guide.
    Great to hear, thanks for your input.

45acp- The Lyman 200 gr lswc bb is my most accurate of the 4 bullets. Draw back, lube is left on the bevel when using Lyman 450. Each bullet needs wiped.

Boolit Master
    One of the theories/claims is that any burrs pushed to the rear by the boolit engraving the rifling will fall inside the bevel angle and don’t protrude past the bullet’s rear edge, so gases from the discharge tend to push evenly on the base, which in turn minimizes fliers.

It’s also a bit more difficult to damage a bevel base during handling. It’s an edge break rather than a sharp corner.

Boolit Master
    Unless you can bench 10 shots at least 2'' or better at 25 yards with 10 shots I don't see how you can tell a difference. When you look at the back of a bevel bass boolit it's not exactly round. You can run it through a sizing die and still not round. When you run a flat base through a sizing die it's round. I am in the dark as to what you are doing. Rifle-pistol? 45-70-38 special-9mm?

45 acp Target loads with Bullseye, 3" @ 50 yards when working up the load, many years ago. Flat base for 357, 44 magnum loads, never tested BB, as the lswc flat base was accurate.

Rifle get a gas check.

Boolit Master
    Good shooting 243winxb.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    Unless you can bench 10 shots at least 2'' or better at 25 yards with 10 shots I don't see how you can tell a difference. When you look at the back of a bevel bass boolit it's not exactly round. You can run it through a sizing die and still not round. When you run a flat base through a sizing die it's round. I am in the dark as to what you are doing. Rifle-pistol? 45-70-38 special-9mm?
    It's an RCBS 200g 10mm round. All of them are dropping at .401 Truncated Cone. Tried to share a pic but kept getting an error message after it tried. Verified the file wasn't too large. I dont know

Boolit Bub
    243winxb, you were on with those!

Boolit Bub

Here is a pic

Goin to be using PC on these, may try them with the recluse lube as well depending on suggestions.
    Will have to make up another batch of the 45/45/10 anyway, accidentally pitched a little I had made up but it was pretty old, had to size some old bullets up for the 40 that need relubed.

Regardless pretty happy with how these are dropping. Weighed a few and was getting about 206.6g, others within less than a grain variance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10 MM BB.jpg  
    Last edited by Manns50; 05-26-2022 at 07:00 AM.

Nice looking bullets. Had RCBS molds. They made great bullets, but wanted 4 cavity.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    45acp- The Lyman 200 gr lswc bb is my most accurate of the 4 bullets. Draw back, lube is left on the bevel when using Lyman 450. Each bullet needs wiped.
    A small bullet base size piece of Styrofoam solves that problem - for about 50-70 bullets when you need to change it out for another. Drop it on the I pin and size away. (H and I dies, the H is the die and the I is the pin)
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have two bevel base molds and both bullets are working great.

I'm loading this Mihec 135 grn 9mm BB on a Dillon Square Deal with no extra expander whatsoever. Going really smooth. Shoots clean and match-accurate in my Tanfoglio P90.

My other BB is a 400 grn Accurate 480 Ruger bullet which I'm shooting out of a 470 NE double Merkel rifle @ 2000 fps. I will say this is just as accurate as my previous Mihec GC bullet of the same weight, individual barrels group ~ 1" @ 75 meters. Here I'm using a NOE expander.

This topic is always interesting to read. So many responses about possible differences that only superbly skilled shooters will notice on the target.
    The most important part still gets ignored. Your handgun is a law unto itself. It may shoot really well with something that doesn't work for anyone else.
    Try the boolits in your gun and see how it does. That will be your answer.

I have different handguns that prefer one style over the other. No real rhyme or reason to it. Just experiment with what you have and see how it works in your handgun. What they do in someone else's handgun has little bearing on how they work in yours.

Boolit Master
    My only issue was the ring of lube in the BB, so milled my Lee 68 clone to remove it. If it is any more or less accurate I can't tell, but is a bit cleaner to handle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manns50 View Post
    Goin to be using PC on these, may try them with the recluse lube as well depending on suggestions.
    Will have to make up another batch of the 45/45/10 anyway, accidentally pitched a little I had made up but it was pretty old, had to size some old bullets up for the 40 that need relubed.

Regardless pretty happy with how these are dropping. Weighed a few and was getting about 206.6g, others within less than a grain variance.
    A bevel that small looks fine.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I have two bevel base molds and both bullets are working great.

I'm loading this Mihec 135 grn 9mm BB on a Dillon Square Deal with no extra expander whatsoever. Going really smooth. Shoots clean and match-accurate in my Tanfoglio P90.

My other BB is a 400 grn Accurate 480 Ruger bullet which I'm shooting out of a 470 NE double Merkel rifle @ 2000 fps. I will say this is just as accurate as my previous Mihec GC bullet of the same weight, individual barrels group ~ 1" @ 75 meters. Here I'm using a NOE expander.

Thats some wild looking PC, pretty cool.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the input. Will cast some more tonight or very soon. But honestly unsure about shooing too much with the shortage of the elusive primers currently. Been reading up on the primer reloading threads. Very interesting and some awesome work by some on here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Manns50 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Will cast some more tonight or very soon. But honestly unsure about shooing too much with the shortage of the elusive primers currently. Been reading up on the primer reloading threads. Very interesting and some awesome work by some on here.
    So true, primer availability/price are a much bigger concern than bevel base vs. flat base.

anyway, I'll say I like bevel base for loading semi-auto pistol ammo, but I prefer flat base for loading revolver ammo. I am reasonably sure I can't tell any accuracy difference. The only time I get lead fouling, is when there is size problems.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast