Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 30 Super Carry with Hand Loaded Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    Well that’s interesting.
    So with the Blazer 115 FMJ, the little 3.68” barrel Shield got 80% of the velocity the 16” barrel made. I’m going to interpret that as the 30 Super Carry is all about high chamber pressure but doesn’t have the case capacity or expansion ratio to keep the high acceleration past the first 4 inches or so. In other words the last 12” of acceleration only netted 200 fps but the first 3.68” netted 1030 fps. That makes me think the little Shield EZ might be a better host for 30 Super Carry than I thought.

The low muzzle report from your carbine also means low muzzle pressure.

But, that’s not a bad thing for carbine. Yep I’ll bet you have fun with it.
    Thanks for posting.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Bub
    Remington and blazer ammo have a 30 cuper carry promo. Buy 3 boxes get rebate on 3rd box. Promotions.vistaoutdoor.com I didn't know cci, speer, blazer were all remington and Vista outdoor. I wonder if Blazer and remington ammo are all the same brass? Oh yea, max $200 rebate per household

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Yep I’m thinking 30 Super Carry ammo is not selling well and it’ll soon be gone.
    Then after a few decades it’ll be all the rage for collector’s. Maybe like the 22 Remington Jet and S&W Model 53’s.

But by then I probably won’t be shooting much and most of my brass will be lost or shot ‘till split.

So….I’m buying what I can to shoot it as long as I can. It’s good’un!

Boolit Bub
    I just heard about a fella that works at Hi Point. He is working up loads for 30 SC with jacketed 50 and 65 grain bullets. Close to 2500 fps out of 16" barrel. And over 1800 in Shield EZ. Wouldn't something like an old model 12 Remington pump be a fun gun in 30 SC?

Boolit Buddy
    SG ammo has Remington for $24/50 rounds. Free shipping if you spend over $200.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...30-super-carry
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Mold
    Living in The People's Republik of California sucks. I would love to get a .30 Super Carry, but Cali doesn't seem to have one available on their gun registry. A real shame, as I have a boatload of boolits for it, as I load 327, 32 H&R, 32 S&W short and long, as well as 32 Auto. Gotta love my Ruger Single Seven, as it can shoot all of the above. VERY handy quality when exposing new shooters, as the recoil varies from none to a reasonable amount in the 327 with the hottest loads. I keep looking for older 32's, to no avail. My A.H brother-in-law sold a K32 to a gun shop instead of me as we don't get along. Since he knows NOTHING about guns, I'm quite sure he got taken. Looking forward to leaving this place soon, and getting a few new toys, including the 30 Super once I establish residency in my new State.
    Last edited by Bawana17; 08-03-2023 at 06:22 PM.

Shooting on a Shoestring, I’ve been following this thread from the beginning, but now I need go go back and re-read it since I’ve just added a Shield EZ .30 SC to my .32 collection.

One question though. I’ve found that the grip safety pinches the web of my hand. Did yoy have any problems with this?

Boolit Master
    Ahoy Cap’n!
    Welcome to the 30 Super Carry party!

Grip Safety pinch? No. I haven’t had any pinch nor bite from my Shield EZ.

But…I’ve sure wished I could have this wonderful cartridge in another platform.
    I’d jump on an Sig P365 or a Hi Power clone like the Springfield SA35. Heck I’d even buy a Glock if they’d do 30SC.

Keep us posted on your experience with 30 SC.

Boolit Master
    The Hodgdon 2024 Annual Manual has load data for six different bullets in the .30SC. Longshot gets a 100 gr XTP going 1,336 fps.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the update.
    Yep this high pressure cartridge can perform way better than expected from a 32.
    Glad to hear there’s some data showing up.
    I think I’ve got some 100 gr XTPs. Might have to try them.
    But I’m still shooting the heck out of mine with my big old full meplat 31-117E from Accurate Molds. It works so good I just keep loading it back every time I get some brass empty.

Boolit Master
    Shoestring, I continue to be impressed with that Accurate boolit and the fact that it feeds. I am looking at Accurate 31-115H.
    Last edited by Abert Rim; 02-04-2024 at 12:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Albert,
    ME TOO!
    I would have bet money it would not feed in a reciprocator. I designed it for 327 and heavy loaded 32-20 revolvers. I was totally amazed that boolit fed in the Shield EZ 30 SC. And it doesn’t just sort of feed, it hasn’t had any failures to feed. It just runs!
    Really though I’ll have to say that’s due to the Shield EZ design and not the boolit.

Boolit Master
    I have had too much Kool-Aid here. Grabagun in Coppel, TX, has the Shield EZ and Shield Plus on sale for $299. Have an EZ on the way.

Boolit Master
    Wow!
    Good for you!
    There’s a lot of fun to be had for $299!

When you pull the slide off or put it on, stay off of the grip safety. It’s not intuitive but it’s not hard to do. I’m suspicious not doing that may have lead to my firing pin block breaking.

Overall I’ve been impressed with the EZ Shield. And I’ve really gotten used to the easy to load magazines to the point I’m aggravated with all the others.

I’m anxious to hear what you think of the gun and caliber.

Boolit Master
    Will report. Glory be, my local Academy has the ammo in stock -- both Federal and CCI. Will probably stick with Federal to have consistent brass.

Boolit Master
    Ran a few dozen Federal factory loads through the EZ yesterday. Very pleasant shooting experience!

Boolit Master
    Wooohooo!
    Now you’ve got some empty brass.
    What are you going to load in it?

Boolit Master

I'm late to this thread. There is now 30sc load data.

I didn't like it in cast..even hard gas checked alloy... So much pressure.. I was not finding a happy load range that operated the slide fully..gave a good self defense power range..and that left 0 fouling. Imho..this is a cartridge that will prefer plated or jacketed rounds if you want optimal performance vs just operational performance.

I love cast and shoot it in virtually everything I own.. I do on occasion find cartridges or applications where cast just is too sub optimal...

Boolit Master
    I ordered the Accurate 31-115H from Tom and plan to powder coat it. I hope that works out. Will probably work with Long Shot first.
    https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=31-115H

Boolit Master
    Albert, I like your choices! Pretty similar to where I went for my first tries. And, pretty much where I ended up. I’m anxious to hear your progress.

What do you think of the EZ system for loading the magazine?