Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25-20 Winchester

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Try this, I have almost zero case loss.

https://www.marlinowners.com/threads...sy-way.174112/
    I thought this thread was regarding 25-20 brass???
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Master

Please read the instructions in the link. You will realize that the the step between 32-20 and .218 Bee is .......25-20. Read first, then type.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Bub
    Howdy Pards

My sincere admiration to those capable individuals who form 25-20 from 32-20. Have read articles on it. Watched U-Tube videos on it … BUT … no luck trying it myself. Was fortunate some bit of time back to purchase a mess of 25-20 brass. While the majority had 25-20 headstamp, quite a few were reformed from 32-20. So … I know it can be done by those more competent than I.

Some years back I found a few abandoned 218 Bee brass at a range. Those fireformed out to 25-20 nice as you please. While I find older brass tends to develop neck splits annoyingly soon, the reformed 218 Bee gave good service.

Wish to “H” that Starline would make 25-20 brass. They make excellent 32-20 brass. Doesn’t seem, to this layperson at least, that it would require a massive effort on their part to make 25-20 brass (and perhaps even 218 Bee).

I’ve sent emails and snail mails to Starline requesting that they consider adding that brass to their product line. It must fall on deaf ears or blind eyes as they’ve never deigned to respond.

Love my 92 Winchester in 25-20. It’s been an arduous though loving process to get brass. Worth it!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

Boolit Grand Master
    I think a lot of people have contacted Starline about producing 25-20 brass. I think I read a reply somewhere that they said that 32-20 was bad enough to make, having to further reducing it down to 25-20 would take a lot more work/tooling, so they don't.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by fortrenokid View Post
    Howdy Pards

My sincere admiration to those capable individuals who form 25-20 from 32-20. Have read articles on it. Watched U-Tube videos on it … BUT … no luck trying it myself. Was fortunate some bit of time back to purchase a mess of 25-20 brass. While the majority had 25-20 headstamp, quite a few were reformed from 32-20. So … I know it can be done by those more competent than I.

Some years back I found a few abandoned 218 Bee brass at a range. Those fireformed out to 25-20 nice as you please. While I find older brass tends to develop neck splits annoyingly soon, the reformed 218 Bee gave good service.

Wish to “H” that Starline would make 25-20 brass. They make excellent 32-20 brass. Doesn’t seem, to this layperson at least, that it would require a massive effort on their part to make 25-20 brass (and perhaps even 218 Bee).

I’ve sent emails and snail mails to Starline requesting that they consider adding that brass to their product line. It must fall on deaf ears or blind eyes as they’ve never deigned to respond.

Love my 92 Winchester in 25-20. It’s been an arduous though loving process to get brass. Worth it!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid
    The most important part of reforming any brass is to anneal the neck and shoulder. It IS NOT rocket science....

Get a LEE trimmer kit with the drill stud and capture nut to spin the case on a drill. Paint a line on the shoulder/body junction with 650F or 660F Tempilac on the 32-20 case.

Spin the case with the torch point at the junction until the Tempilac turns. Dunk immediately into pan of water. Size to 25-20 in the Redding die for such. Anneal again.

I lost 40 of 100 Starline Ni cases with the Redding die alone w/o annealing (DUH?) Sent it back with some brass and they sent me a Redding 30-20 TC die to use as a first step.

Redding might also send you that die for free if you whine about case loss.

I converted 300 more properly annealed 32-20 to 25-20 and lost only one or two with the two die set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	308203

From Ken Howell, "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges":

Views:	31 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	308204

Tempilaq will dry out. Restore it with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner.

I've used this bottle to anneal thousands of cases, and it still has useable material inside:

Views:	27 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	308205
    Last edited by pcmacd; 12-17-2022 at 09:46 PM.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

Boolit Master
    new 25 20 brass on gb 2 auctions $1.00 each other 1 $2.00 each

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    This post just makes me scratch my head.

I paid $75 for #250 32-20 from Buffalo Arms in Feb. of 2020.

~~~~~
    This place has them IN STOCK NEW for about $0.50 delivered, quantity min of #300:

https://reloadingbrassusa.com/cart/

~~~~~
    This for $6/50 used:

http://www.brasstacksmunitions.com/3...nce-fired.html
    Last edited by pcmacd; 12-18-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    Auction price or sale price? I've been trying to buy at $1 each and no luck! Hard to get 32-20 or 218 bee for that. Fortunately I found some used 218 bee brass at an estate sale reasonably priced.

Boolit Master
    auction ill put on watch list to see what they sell for

Boolit Bub
    I just picked up a Marlin Model 27-S in 25-20 and the hunt begins. Someone local had 9 32-20, I pulled the bullets, lubed and partially sized the, remove, lube, partially size, etc, and the first one split. I annealed the necks and then did lubed, partially size, etc, and the next 8 came out without splitting except one which didn't split but can't be used. The ammunition was so old that 4 of them were balloon head cases.

Boolit Man
    I have made several hundred 25-20 cases out of 32-20 Starline brass. 1st, anneal the brass. 2nd, run the 32-20 lube cases into a 32-20 re-sizing die so the cases have no flaws. 3rd, very lightly bell the case mouth (this is important). 4th, using imperial sizing wax, lightly lube the cases, and slowly re-size in a 25-20 die. Using this method, I am down to about a 4 to 5% case loss, mostly with folded necks.

Boolit Buddy

Danth: Do you still need a set of 25-20 wcf dies? I have two sets.

Thanks for all the info. Picked up 32-20's in Sedalia a few years back and still haven't sized all the ones I intend to convert to 25-20.

Boolit Master
    I would be careful with the reloading brass website listed above.Their payment options look suspicious to me.May be a scam site.I was going to order some .38-40 brass but stopped when I saw the payment options.

Boolit Buddy

Well,
    I went ahead and ordered some .416 Taylor brass from them.
    Waiting to see if I get it or not.
    The brasstacksmunitions.com is one frustrating website to try and see what they have available.
    Is it just me or has anyone else bee unable to see what brass is available???
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Boolit Buddy

Well, I just went to Stopgunscams.com/reloadingbrassusa-com and found out this is a huge scam site.
    I just learned a Valuable lesson.
    I also went to the Quality Cartridge website and they are listing everything the reloadingbrass website does.
    So as a friendly warning....STAY THE HECK AWAY! Lesson learned!
    pcmacd, I'm sure you listed this in good faith, sorry it's a scam.

Moderators you may want to ban the link and website.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    Last edited by Blkpwdrbuff; 07-15-2023 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Boolit Master
    Not to hijack the thread, but ET Brass is expecting some Winchester primed 25-20
    https://etbrass.com/index.php/in-stock-brass-bullets/
    I've dealt with these people before & wouldn't hesitate to again.
    Brian

I'm set on brass, but if they have any at the OGCA show on Saturday I may talk myself into getting more.
    Last edited by Czech_too; 07-17-2023 at 11:08 AM.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master

At $30 per 50 primed or $60 a hundred primed - I don't think you will beat this price for a long time. Talked to em this morning - The word was that 25-20wcf has been on back order for 3 years. These probably won't last long
    Being human is not for sissies.

I've got some 762 Nagant Brass that's Berdan primed if anybody wants it for shipping.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    At $30 per 50 primed or $60 a hundred primed - I don't think you will beat this price for a long time. Talked to em this morning - The word was that 25-20wcf has been on back order for 3 years. These probably won't last long
    Ordered mine Tuesday , will be here tomorrow.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast