WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Hitting the Jackpot!

Hitting the Jackpot!

So, you have made a batch of boolits and tested them to be perfect and accurate! They weigh 202.6gns and are sized to 0.310". I use them a lot and need to duplicate the alloy at some future time & place.

The method that I have adopted is to cast 10 'perfect' boolets from pure lead. Let's say that a Lyman 311284 will cast a boolit in pure lead that weighs 211.4gns. Finally you get a good boolit that is accurate and works; it weighs 202.5 gns. In the future to duplicate the alloy, follow the same proceedure start with pure lead and add tin and antimony until the new casting weighs 202.5gn.

If you divide the finished weight by the base rate 0.9773 (I calculate to 4 decimal places) you will be very, very close to the came alloy composition.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Is that a 100 yd target! What rifle did you shoot those in. Pretty darned good no matter what it was. It's always gratifying when the dedicated work pays off.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

That is 100yds with my Springfield 30.06 and the aforementoned Lyman 311284 boolt (sized to 0.310") The rifle is fitted with a Lyman 12X scope and a 4/44 vintage barrel that was new in the grease and never seen 'J' boolits. Mind, it took me over 600 rounds to acomplish just 2 sub MOA groups.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Wow, write down that load for sure! Interesting method of alloying.

Glad that worked for you. It reminds me of the work and time I spent getting a Ruger 77 in 280 Rem to finally shoot worth a hoot. Then I found out the load was 300 FPS slower than I though it was supposed to be and sold the danged thing. You have a lot better results.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    That is 100yds with my Springfield 30.06 and the aforementoned Lyman 311284 boolt (sized to 0.310") The rifle is fitted with a Lyman 12X scope and a 4/44 vintage barrel that was new in the grease and never seen 'J' boolits. Mind, it took me over 600 rounds to acomplish just 2 sub MOA groups.
    I can believe that