RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small pistol primer is 357 mag loads

Small pistol primer is 357 mag loads

THAT SHOULD SAY IN 357 MAG LOADS.
    Well, back in 2019 I listened to that little voice in my head and stocked up on components, so I have not suffered from the shortage - until now.
    I am down to my last 3000 SP magnum primers and it is making me nervous.
    I have plenty of SP primers and want to load some mid range 357 ammo.
    H&G # 51 plain base, 5.5 gr WW231, mixed brass.
    I use WW231 for all my handgun standard velocity loads and WW296 for magnum loads.
    Has anyone ever used SP primers in a 357 case w/ 231?
    I would think they would work because 231 is a very fast powder and it should light off....maybe.
    I know....load 50 and see what happens....but I would rather not get all set up and load if the hive says it won't work.
    I'm not interested in making them competitive target accurate....I just want them to go bang.
    Your thoughts?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

231 doesn’t need magnum primers. You are good to go with standard small pistol primers.

You have SPPs? and plenty?

Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    You have SPPs? and plenty?
    I do. The lesson was learned in the LAST shortage. I spent way too much money on components in 2019 when they were available but now I certainly do not regret my decision. I thought that even if there were never another shortage, I would be all set for years to come.
    For once in my life I listened to that little voice in my head that said "...stock up".
    I would encourage everyone to do the same when components become available again.....it is improving for powder, but not primers just yet.
    I am sure that things will get better. There is a new primer factory opening in Texas and they should be shipping by early next year.
    https://www.thomasnet.com/insights/a...s%20ammunition.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    231 doesn’t need magnum primers. You are good to go with standard small pistol primers.
    Opinion or experience?

I've never used anything but small pistol standard in my 357 shells. I also use mostly 231/hp38. I haven't loaded much heavy bullet, or slower powder loads, so I won't comment on those. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Since I ran out of small pistol magnum primers I have been using small pistol primers in all my 357 loads. The only difference I have noticed is the standard deviations are a little larger with the small pistol.

Boolit Master
    I have used Winchester small pistol, and Winchester small pistol magnum. Honestly NEVER noticed any difference.

Moderator Emeritus

What does your manual specify?

I use SPP for all 357M loads, EXCEPT, I do use MSPP for Hot loads using H110, and more recently I've been using VV N110 for the hot loads. BTW, the Vihtavuori manual suggests Rifle primers for my load, but other manuals suggested MSPP, so I used MSPP.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I use mag primers because some sp got pierced. Gas cutting on the hammer nose, not good. S&W M28. WSPM

Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post
    Since I ran out of small pistol magnum primers I have been using small pistol primers in all my 357 loads. The only difference I have noticed is the standard deviations are a little larger with the small pistol.
    I am happy with "minute-of-beer-can" accuracy. My guns will shoot far better than I am capable of doing.
    SP with 231 it is!

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    I use mag primers because some sp got pierced. Gas cutting on the hammer nose, not good. S&W M28. WSPM
    That is an interesting point. I also shoot a 1960 made 6" 28 (no dash).
    I'll keep an eye out for that.

Boolit Master
    I use SP under HP38/Win 231 for most of my 357 shooting. Only use SP magnum under 'heavy' ball powder loads - HS7(old not typo) and 296. S&W 686 and Rossi 92

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I use 231 with small pistol primers all the time without problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I only use magnum primers in loads using powder that call for magnum primers. And since I mostly use Unique and 2400 I don't use many magnum primers.

Oh boy do I feel better now.
    I will keep my eyes out for SP Magnum primers and not feel pressured to buy them when I see them regardless of price.
    I pop in and out of a number of web sites every few hours or so and I snagged an 8 lb 296 recently.
    Now to get more SPM primers!

Historic Factoid: There were 357 Mag revolvers and ammo long before there were magnum small pistol primers. People reloaded the 357 Mag round long before there were magnum small pistol primers.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Primers are designated by the powder they will ignite, not what is printed on the side of the barrel. Slower, harder to ignite powders should have magnum primers for efficient ignition. Faster powders, like W321, work quite well with standard primers but as always, do another load workup with new/different components...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    First off, to answer the original question: I’ve shot countless thousands of 357mag reloads using 231 powder and never had any problems. If you check your reloading manuals, they aren’t even called for. Here’s another news flash: lately, with very little to do, I’ve been testing various primers and powders in my .357mag revolver and my .357max rifle and have found no difference in velocity and/or accuracy switching between the two types of primers. I’ve even thrown some small rifle primers in the mix and still can’t find a difference. If you follow several sites on this subject it’s pretty much coming to light that there may not really be a difference between them, or if there is it’s slight. I still use mag primers for 296 and 110. I might play with that sometime soon as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The firing pin is replaceable on most S&W revolvers. You will need the rivet also, unless you are extremely lucky.

If I had one that was gas cut bad enough to pierce primers, I would put a new one on for sure. Not sure now, but they weren't that costly a few years ago.

Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast