RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: What's a good mold to look at for a magazine feed 308win?

Boolit Buddy

What's a good mold to look at for a magazine feed 308win?

I have not tried my other molds to reload my STG-58 I have used the Lee 160gr and 170 gr to attempt loading my 300 blk with little success. Also, have an MP mold believe it's a 150 gr deep HP and has not had luck with that also in 300 blk always due to feeding issues.

I don't have problems with factory bullets they work fine difference is the factory bullets are longer than the cast Boolites. I have like the HP Boolites I have made they expand as they should and they are designed to. In theory, I'd like a mold that can do HP and solid Boolite best if it had a large and small pin!

I will take what I can get and that will work in a semi an auto magazine feed weapon. Have not tried any of my Boolite out yet mostly due to the amount of factory.308 I have on hand and bought cheap. Remember back in 1999 when I bought 1,500 308 147 gr military believe English for less than $250!

Also, for any advice on my problem with the 300 blk let me know, please! I have tried 300 blk magazine and also tried 300 blk followers. The only thing that I cast that shoots reliably is the 230gr cast I make. I can't even chamber my MP 309 410 Boolites I make in my rifle and if I can get them to load and chamber they shoot great but the COL is close to 2.055 so if I have to unload a round the Boolite gets stuck in the barrel and all the powder comes out.

Thanks!

Boolit Master

The RCBS 30-165SIL feeds flawlessly in my Garand and, though he only shot a couple of loaded magazines, worked okay in my buddy's AR-10 clone. I say 'okay' because he was trying some of the loads I developed for a rebarreled 1916 Spanish Mauser which lacked sufficient 'Oomph' to cycle his bolt reliably. When it did cycle completely, though, rounds fed from magazine without a bobble.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Look here. Very extensive testing.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...pringfield-M1A

Boolit Master

Take some sample rounds with various cast bullet designs, as well as some military ball FMJ and coat the bullet and first inch or so of the case with a dry erase marker. Cycle them through your gun being sure you check both sides of the magazine.

Look to see which disturbs the ink the least, as well as which noses of the cast bullets take the most damage. You're dealing with a combination of feed ramp and mag lip timing, and the nose contour will play a part - not only in how it impacts the ramp, but also in how the bullet impacts the top of the chamber as it heads forward and noses down.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/71316

I’ve had luck with this one. In fact, only Lee mold I’ve ever liked really. Except the 32 cal pistol one I have. Runs a little big for 308 but it will size down.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/71316

I’ve had luck with this one. In fact, only Lee mold I’ve ever liked really. Except the 32 cal pistol one I have. Runs a little big for 308 but it will size down.
    Might have to try that one keep hearing good things about it. Just bought about a month ago
    312-145 Grain LFN from Arsenal molds see how well that works but might just spend the $50 for one that will also work on my 308 win.

I was told it was great for 300 blk also.

Yup, problem with BO is short length of cast. I use a 145gr RNFP and it feeds fine but I also use a 170gr like the RD and it also works. I use lancer BO mags, Pmags give me trouble. Trick is to make sure case rims are not rough as that will pull lower rnds forward. A mould with a long ogive will allow seating longer. HP are a problem, nose dents too easily on the lugs.
    Whatever!

In my Browning lever action, the 311041 will not feed, but the 311466 works great.