RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Recommend a holster for new Colt Python

Recommend a holster for new Colt Python

Recently purchased one of the new Colt Pythons. Six inch barrel. Looking for recommendations on a holster. Just a "walking around the pasture" type holster. I want to know what really works for people. I probably have a dozen 1911 holsters. I do not want to go thru that again. Thanks.

Bob

Boolit Master

here is a thread that may answer some of your questions: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...dations-Please

Boolit Grand Master
    For just walking around the pasture, I'd recommend a Bianchi Cyclone or similar cross draw rig. If it were not in Texas, I suggest a shoulder holster, but in my experience, Texas comes two ways: too hot and too cold. When it is hotter than Satan's sweaty butt crack, a shoulder holster is no fun. And a strong side holster for a 6 inch revolver is awfully hard to drag clear of the leather. When I carried a 6 inch Python 40 years ago on duty, I wore it in a drop shank swivel holster, but I don't know where you could find one or even if anybody even still makes them. For all these reasons, I prefer a cross draw belt rig for long barreled revolvers.
    Attachment 299274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	299275
    The Black thumb break carries my 7 1/2 inch Ruger Single Seven comfortably out of the way, while the right hand holster in the second pic shows the angle of the holster on the belt.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Last edited by ~JM~; 04-19-2022 at 11:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Simply Rugged great holsters

Boolit Buddy

Two holsters come to mind. As mentioned about a Bianchi Cyclone 111 for crossdraw and Galco Speed Scabbard for strongside. Although mine are for 4in , your 6in will change things I have loaned the Cyclone to friends going on horseback hunting trips and thought it was great. The Galco offers good protection for the gun and security without any snaps or buckles GW

Moderator Emeritus

Another vote for the SIMPLY RUGGED brand! Bion I have a similar Python, albeit mine is 40+ years old, and I marveled how perfectly the fit was on the day I received my holster -- and it still is. Note I had a Hunter brand utility holster which came with the pre-owned Python -- and just four years ago or so NEEDED the holster upgrade. After quite a bit of research and advise from fellows on range I selected the Simply Rugged -- BEST move I could've made !

Boolit Master

I've been running my 4" GP100 in a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard and it rides very close and comfortable. Unfortunately, not an option for a 6" Python - - but maybe give their Dual Angle Hunter a look.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

If your concerned about getting scratches on the wood of your new python, then a flap holster would be best. Either way, myself personally I would only get a high ride holster for more security. I smile at a memory of Turkey hunting in TX with a shotgun but I brought my colt peacemaker 22 along in the only holster I had which was a drop down cowboy fast draw type leather holster. I was running down what I thought was an injured turkey and got the turkey. While looking it over, I noticed my colt wasn’t in the holster! Luckily I traced my steps and found it! Wew! Anyway you get the idea that a handgun worn around the property really above all needs to be safe and secured.

Simply Rugged should have a holster to meet your needs. Nothing against the other holster makers, there are some mighty fine ones out there. Rob Leahy is the owner/operator of Simply Rugged. I've shared range time and meals with Rob down through the years and will tell you now, you won't find a better man to call friend. Year's back on another site is where I met Rob, he lived in Alaska at that time. He began his business on his kitchen table top. It was hard work and dedication that built Simply Rugged holsters. I recall one guy so proud of a holster he'd had Rob built on his kitchen table top he posted a photo of it. It was used, well used I might add. Rob took one look at it, told the guy to the holster to him so he could replace it...free of charge. Rob didn't think it was some of his better work I guess and wanted the guy to have a nicer one. Same holster, just better lines and stitching. He did it all by hand back then. If I need a new holster, Simply Rugged is my 'go to'.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I would like to thank everyone for their input. After reading the supplied links and responses in this thread, I ordered the Bianchi 111.