MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: OK, I really need some intervention fellas.

OK, I really need some intervention fellas.

Just to get one more use out of brass I just can't seem to toss I've come up with a Ralph Kramden level of genius:

I'd like to make either push pin or refrigerator magnets out of them. The only problem is how to get the magnet flush and totally secured? IOW that it can push into/out of corkboard or not pull out as a plug if used as a magnet.

Elmer's was handy but the little magnet sank as it cured. That was a failure. I must have a even surface for magnet work.

The push pin one I'm considering using JBweld or epoxy and that should work. I could get quite a few on the reloading rack at one time. I haven't got around to working it all up in the laboratory yet. Igor, get me my gloves!!!

Brainstorming it on the old drawing board right now I guess, before it gets too messy. Can you tell I have too much time on my hands?

Don't let the CFO know anything, please. She'll make me take back Igor and get a refund.
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Just to get one more use out of brass I just can't seem to toss I've come up with a Ralph Kramden level of genius:

I'd like to make either push pin or refrigerator magnets out of them. The only problem is how to get the magnet flush and totally secured? IOW that it can push into/out of corkboard or not pull out as a plug if used as a magnet.

Elmer's was handy but the little magnet sank as it cured. That was a failure. I must have a even surface for magnet work.

The push pin one I'm considering using JBweld or epoxy and that should work. I could get quite a few on the reloading rack at one time. I haven't got around to working it all up in the laboratory yet. Igor, get me my gloves!!!

Brainstorming it on the old drawing board right now I guess, before it gets too messy. Can you tell I have too much time on my hands?

Don't let the CFO know anything, please. She'll make me take back Igor and get a refund.
    You need the slow-curing epoxy, not the 5-minute stuff. You also need to cut the brass off short enough that you won't have too much space under the tack or nail or magnet or whatever you're using for the thing to sink into. Also need to thoroughly degrease the brass before you put the epoxy in, and don't touch it with bare hands until the epoxy is cured. Once the epoxy is cured, wipe the brass with a paper towel that's been dampened with acetone after scraping off any excess epoxy and poking it into or onto a sheet of cardboard (if a tack) or sheet steel (if a magnet) and spray it with a clear varnish or paint. Personally, I like Rustoleum, but the Krylon is OK too.

Bill

Boolit Master
    My brother makes card holders out of used one too many times brass. He gets the squeeze clamps that you put on wires and uses spent lead from shooting steel targets melted in the brass to hold the clip. He also has to much time on his hands but he doesn't have to set by any of his kin he is fighting with at that time.

If straight walled cases, I'd take a case and sharpen it around the outside, punch out several pieces of corrugated that you can drop in and use as filler, anything you can cut easy with a case would work. Craft foam might work pretty well, as well as expanded foam that is used as shipping stuffing. Heck probably even a few packing peanuts.
    Get enough to get it close, and fill with glue. Epoxy if you have it. E6000 or Similar would work well, also hot glue. Have fun

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Fly tyers use an LED cure glue, normally available in a package of "thin" "thick" and new "Flex" along with a blacklight mini flashlight to cure it.

Goes on clear, stays clear. The thin will run till you flash it with the light. The thick is slower. The flex holds well but has some give to it.

The pushpins I think I would shorten or use ball headed pins. Then heat the plastic and push into the primer pocket. This should give you a perfect fit and weld.

Small jet type lighter should do the job or candle/alcohol lamp.

For the magnets if using the LED glue wherever it is when you flash that light is where it should stay. Both should be clean and dry before glueing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4N8OIZ...ding=UTF8&th=1

Its roughly 7$ a bottle for single bottles or 19$ for the set of 3 with the light.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    can you share a picture or sketch of what you wanting to make?
    there are all kinds of good glues/adhesives these days. one that really impressed me was some industrial hot melt glue by 3m. quick to use, quick to dry and super strong plus it fills gaps without dripping and drooling. and those Neo magnets have no comparison the the other type that came in the science and chemistry sets of the 60's

Boolit Buddy
    My wife is a crafter and she uses Gutermmans HT 2 glue for making purses. I've used it to fasten a butt pad to my Rossi 92, which has a steel plate. https://www.amazon.com/Original-Guet.../dp/B0021B2GQ2

It just might work for your need.

Here's another idea for scrap brass. My wife makes key fobs by melting them with my oxygen/acet torch. The puddle size is dictated by the number and type of brass. Easy to drill, and insert magnet if wanted. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6381.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	299215
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Moderator Emeritus

I make drawer pulls from big bore revolver cases.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have made door locks for my 92 Ranger out of 357 cases, epoxied two nuts ground round to fit inside case. Cheap two part expoxy.
    Also pull light switch for same vehicle with a 45 LC case with lead inside the case.
    Good luck, with your project. Let your imagination run wild!

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    can you share a picture or sketch of what you wanting to make?
    there are all kinds of good glues/adhesives these days. one that really impressed me was some industrial hot melt glue by 3m. quick to use, quick to dry and super strong plus it fills gaps without dripping and drooling. and those Neo magnets have no comparison the the other type that came in the science and chemistry sets of the 60's
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1046942...search_click=1 Holy cow that price. I'm starting with some ancient military brass. Think crazy mix of dates, FA 18, RA 42, etc. that came from some repatriated spam cans we got back in the dreamtime from Russia or whatever combloc.

I'd like it to be shiny and my OCD says pin/magnet are to be in the middle and flush to the mouth. I'm just doing it for fun really. I'm going to put up some battle maps of Guderian's campaigns and thought it would look cool.

I have lots of scrap brass. Please continue with the awesome ideas of things I didn't know I couldn't live without doing.

I ordered the UV light & 3 bottles of different resins. I've been wanting a UV for U glassware I see at the different sales we go to. Thanks Hawk. I can now blame this expenditure on that and not reloading-of which I'm saving a TON of money. Yeah, that's the ticket.
    Last edited by Rooster; 04-19-2022 at 11:12 AM. Reason: dang thing erased half my response
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

Boolit Grand Master

Hot glue. Whatever is cheap does the job.

ETA: my daughter bought me some of those 9mm push pins and also 12 bore magnets for Christmas one year. They are both hot glued and that was where my suggestion came from.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9883953...search_click=1
    Last edited by imashooter2; 04-19-2022 at 02:02 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I cut the plastic tube from shotgun hulls that have seen better days, punch the primer out of the battery cup, drill a hole for a 8x32 brass screw long enough to pass through the hull base and a cabinet door and have a door pull.

I cut brass to about 1" long. Punch the primer. Use a sizing die to to put a small crimp on the mouth of the 1" case. Stick a headed nail with a head small enough to fit the primer cup through the flash hole and reseat the primer. Back fill the mouth with epoxy. You may need to touch up the nail's point to not eat a cork board. Those small nails used for picture hanging work good.

Boolit Bub
    I have made magnets by trimming the case so the inside is the same depth as the magnet thickness. The magnets are just smaller than the i.d. of the case and hot glue them in.
    I've also made belt buckles and name plaques out of them.