Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee Breech Lock Bullet Sizing Kit Question

Lee Breech Lock Bullet Sizing Kit Question

For anyone who has one of these I have a question:

If I have a Hornady LNL press, can I thread the top portion (minus the breech-lock adapter) into my 7/8-14 threaded Lock-N-Load bushing? I will not convert my press to Lee’s Breech Lock system. I’m hoping the Breech Lock sizer kit has 7/8-14 male threads to use a traditional system. Please advise.

Boolit Bub
    I think they are the same. I have the Lee bullet sizing kit and NOE size bushings setup in my APP. Have to look when I get home but pretty darn sure I could use my Lnl bushings instead of my beach lock bushings

No, the sizing inserts are basically just small enough to slide inside a 7/8 female thread die. You don’t need to convert your press to breech lock though, just buy the conversion and thread it in after removing your hornady lnl bushing adapter.

Boolit Grand Master

This is something I did not consider, so I had to try it. I tried it in my Lee classic cast press, with the Lee breech lock sizing kit. What I found is as Drew P says, part of the bushing will just slip into a 7/8" thread, and will be stopped by the larger rib. I suppose you could use those bushings just like that, if you put some electrical tape around them to hold them in the threads or something. Alternatively, I think I found a better method. The breech lock die body threaded adapter that serves to hold the bushing in the die, and thread onto the bottle, is also a 7/8" thread. Both sides will thread into your 7/8" press threads. What I found is with that adapter upside down, so the long end is facing up allows me to thread that into the bottom side. The reason I found upside down better, is it allows the adapter to come close enough to the top of the threads you can grab each bullet as it comes through. I tried a few, and this is a very viable way of doing this, to the point I'm confused why Lee doesn't make a second adapter, so that the threads stick out the top of the press, allowing you to use the catch bottle.

I found a YT video thats shows the system in action, I’m not sure it’s going to do what I want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A379A8BE-3213-4EA0-A489-AA1D170B9D99.jpeg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Castloader View Post
    I found a YT video thats shows the system in action, I’m not sure it’s going to do what I want.
    Mine doesn't look like that. Mine has a bottle adapter of 7/8" threads. With that adapter, you can thread it right into a press.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Mine doesn't look like that. Mine has a bottle adapter of 7/8" threads. With that adapter, you can thread it right into a press.
    Could you post a pic? I’m curious.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine looks like this. It came with that bottle adapter so you can use the new style bottles with it. It just so happens those threads allow you to screw the die body into a press.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Mine looks like this. It came with that bottle adapter so you can use the new style bottles with it. It just so happens those threads allow you to screw the die body into a press.

But what holds the sizing insert then?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    But what holds the sizing insert then?
    The portion that goes into the press has a reduced diameter lip at the bottom. The sizing insert has a section of increased diameter at the top. You just drop it into the press portion, then screw down the threaded bottle adapter, and it holds the sizing die firmly in place.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, the sizer bushing slides in the aluminum die body, and the threaded part screws in to hold it. As I said, the other side of the thread is meant for a bottle, but it threads right into a press. I tried it. It's not as good as using it in the APP, but it works surprisingly well. Better than the Lyman 450 for sure, although without lubing of course.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castloader View Post
    For anyone who has one of these I have a question:

If I have a Hornady LNL press, can I thread the top portion (minus the breech-lock adapter) into my 7/8-14 threaded Lock-N-Load bushing? I will not convert my press to Lee’s Breech Lock system. I’m hoping the Breech Lock sizer kit has 7/8-14 male threads to use a traditional system. Please advise.
    Why not just get the NOE system? It works perfectly in any std press with 7/8-14 threads.

Well…the die bodies were out of stock, now they have 4, but the bushings I need are out of stock. And, they’re a bit more spendy. If I could go back and buy NOE instead of all the Lee push through kits I’ve bought, I would. At this point, I only need 2 more sizers. For the money, I should just get two more Lee kits.