Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to kick the hornet's nest, wheel weights for round balls.

Boolit Master

Going to kick the hornet's nest, wheel weights for round balls.

I know this subject has been debated on end, but I have to ask because I want to actually know if someone has done it and what their results are. I want to know if you can cast round balls for a muzzleloader from wheel weights. I know what you're supposed to use, soft lead, but lead in some places, where I am, is getting tougher to come by. Even the wheel weights themselves is getting tougher, plumbers lead, everything is harder to come by and the more we see the "green" campaigns keep trudging onward, I think we're going to see less lead to use. I do have some soft lead on hand for round balls but I want to know if need be, can wheel weights be used. These would be for new production guns, nothing antique. Also, in my Pedersoli Indian Trade gun and French Cavallerie carbine, these are smooth bore guns that I use balls undercast anyway. For instance, my French gun is .69 that shoots very well and surprisingly accurate with a patched .648 and .662 roundball. My Indian Trade Gun is a .61 caliber roughly that does very well with a .570 roundball and .015" patch. So for at least those two guns, there isn't a super tight fit to worry about.
    So, can it be done?
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    I know this subject has been debated on end, but I have to ask because I want to actually know if someone has done it and what their results are. I want to know if you can cast round balls for a muzzleloader from wheel weights. I know what you're supposed to use, soft lead, but lead in some places, where I am, is getting tougher to come by. Even the wheel weights themselves is getting tougher, plumbers lead, everything is harder to come by and the more we see the "green" campaigns keep trudging onward, I think we're going to see less lead to use. I do have some soft lead on hand for round balls but I want to know if need be, can wheel weights be used. These would be for new production guns, nothing antique. Also, in my Pedersoli Indian Trade gun and French Cavallerie carbine, these are smooth bore guns that I use balls undercast anyway. For instance, my French gun is .69 that shoots very well and surprisingly accurate with a patched .648 and .662 roundball. My Indian Trade Gun is a .61 caliber roughly that does very well with a .570 roundball and .015" patch. So for at least those two guns, there isn't a super tight fit to worry about.
    So, can it be done?
    I am only replying to this to get knowledgeable people to tell me I'm full of BS.
    I would say go for it on a logical point of view, since the patch is what picks up the rifling and not the ball.
    I say this without any firsthand experience.

Boolit Master
    I bought 50 pounds of pure lead from Roto-Metals. Should last me the rest of my life. I no longer have the energy needed to go scrounging.

Boolit Master
    Well I'm probably wrong, but I use whatever lead I have for casting round balls. And especially in a smooth bore, I would think that it would be fine as long as you don't get crazy hard with it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shoot lead balls cast from Wheel Weights .
    Especially the Stick on type because that stuff is almost pure lead anyway.
    They work well , with the correct patch material.
    Just don't make the ball fit so tight that it is hard to load.
    I even cast REAL boolits with the Wheel Weights.
    I have to use a mallet to get the REAL slug started down the bore.
    Wheel Weights are not the best material to use for Muzzleloaders.
    But it will work.
    And is good material for just plinking ,so you don't use up all your pure lead just casual plinking.
    To soften WW, I smelt it with a bunch of Range Scrap which for the most part is softer than WW material from my experience.
    But with a patch the WW does work.
    I actually started casting with WW material back when I was about 16 years old back in the 1970s.
    That was when I ran out of all my dad's Fishing weights and I was working in a gas station that sold tires too.
    Last edited by LAGS; 04-17-2022 at 05:36 PM.

IT is nice to know I am not totally full of BS!

I use pure in my ROA & .44 navy replica because it shaves a little off the ball when seating and pure for the maxi balls for the 54 Hawkens, but alloy for patched round balls. If the projectile is in direct contact with the rifling then I use pure.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    Yes you can. I asked the same question here several years ago. Another member replied its all he uses. I've used COWW lead for hunting in a 50 cal. 490 ball, 015 patch. Touch harder to get started. Always found lead balls under skin on off side of deer. Have not found a WW ball.

Boolit Buddy
    Wheel weights are gonna give a ROA rammer a rough time, and Italian reproduction revolvers are not going to like that alloy at all. Smoothbores; ww's should be fine. If you use a tight enough patch in a rifle it should engrave the fabric pattern into the sides of the roundball. That will be tough with wheel weights. A hammer on the short starter will be necessary. Maybe there's another shooter nearby who will trade lead with you.

Boolit Buddy
    I use wheel weights for just about everything. I use them for patched rifle balls, C&B revolvers, and smoothbores. Never had a problem. As for processing a fabric pattern into the ball, I've never had a reason to use a patch that tight. My revolvers are all colt repros, they don't seem to have problems either. They are a little harder to seat, but not overly so. I should mention that I don't water drop the ones I use in revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, obviously you can and successfully. Terminal performance may suffer if you use them for hunting, though. One of the effects of the round ball is that it flattens out passing through an animal, thus increasing it's wounding capacity. WW may not do this, so you have a caliber hole straight through.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I use hard, very very hard stuff in front stuffers for paper punching, totally ok for paper punching with patched long guns. I've done it for 6 years and won't be stopping anytime soon.

I do not recommend trying water quenched WW round balls in Remington 1858 style cap and ball revolvers. I broke a rivet in the link of my rammer. Colts aren't as vulnerable to this with their style of toothed rammer I should think but I busted my Remington. I had to cut and buck a new rivet in place.

I destroyed the rammer on my Uberti Remington Old Army trying to force home a ball that was just a little harder than pure lead.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

So is there a "I broke my Remington rammer with hard balls" patch or award, trophy?

I have used dead soft / wheel weights / and range scrap. All with success.

They key I have always found is a wet patch. (Not dripping)

I use water with dawn ish soap in a spray bottle. To keep the patch’s moist.

I find it lubes and cleans the barrel on the way down.

Keep in mind the patch is what should be engaging the rifling.

I use pillow ticking for patches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    To the OP, yes.
    I’ve taken many animals with ww cast round balls in my .50 and .54 muzzle guns.

Boolit Master
    I've used different alloys for round balls in my .50 calibers with no problem. For target shooting past 50 yds I check their weights. The harder alloy RB's weigh less and have less drop farther out than pure lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I use wheel weights for just about everything. I use them for patched rifle balls, C&B revolvers, and smoothbores. Never had a problem. As for processing a fabric pattern into the ball, I've never had a reason to use a patch that tight. My revolvers are all colt repros, they don't seem to have problems either. They are a little harder to seat, but not overly so. I should mention that I don't water drop the ones I use in revolvers.
    My son bought a second hand army colt, we though it was a good deal at the time, 3-400 rounds and the gears under the barrel stripped - (or wore enough they wouldnt engage properly) previous owner or his dealer must have had a problem and tricked it up good enough to sell, fixing that was above my paygrade at the time so I converted it over to a remy style rammer - it takes somebody that knows, inside ten yards to spot it, and works good but would make me cautious of using hardball in a gear rammer model. Replacing a busted pivot pin is simple - refurbing those gears under the barrel would not pay in the US I think.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've been shooting wheel weight balls for 47 years. They work.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I used WW round balls in my old Remy. It was a 70's era Navy Arms kit. That cylinder had nice, sharp mouth area that cut a good, clean sliver from the round ball. Pure lead balls required just a little force. WWs took quite a bit more. It would wear out the palm of your hand to do a few cylinder loads. I didn't shoot the gun that much so the WW balls worked just fine.

If I was doing range sessions or a lot of plinking I'd stick with pure lead.

Patched round ball in an old CVA Ky rifle were all made from WW. Worked well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast