MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: RCBS Powder Measure Stand Modification

RCBS Powder Measure Stand Modification

I'm not a big fan of Hornady's L-N-L inserts for reloading dies, but they are the best thing since sliced bread for a powder measure stand!!

Spinning the whole measure around half full of powder to pour back in the bottle is cumbersome & accident prone. I drilled my RCBS stand out to 1-1/4" then drilled & tapped it for a set-screw. Installed the L-N-L adapter with a dab of epoxy & locked with the set-screw. A simple mod that makes you say "Why did't I do this sooner!"

Attachment 299147
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master

I made several stands with a 7/8" hole and used 2 lock rings one top and bottom to lock them in. UNthread the bottom one and the measure lifted out.

Boolit Master
    I like that idea a lot!!!!! you better get a patent on it cause I'm gonna use that idea, thanks for posting it (I'm sick of spilling powder, to spendy now, I just saw a listing for 2 8lb jugs of imr 4350 850 bucks cdn each)

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    I like that idea a lot!!!!! you better get a patent on it cause I'm gonna use that idea, thanks for posting it (I'm sick of spilling powder, to spendy now, I just saw a listing for 2 8lb jugs of imr 4350 850 bucks cdn each)
    Actually, not a new idea. The Hornady powder measure stand already comes with an insert for conversion to L-N-L. But by the time you buy the stand & conversion kit it gets to be a bit "spendy". Besides I already had the RCBS - it just needed a little upgrade.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master

I did mine before the bayonet bushings were available. I thought about making the insert and a few bushings but decided the 2 lock rings would do. One change I would make is add a hole in the top bushing and a matching pin in the stand to stop rotation it wouldnt need to be as tight then.

Boolit Grand Master
    My kid brother gave me an RCBS stand that he considered worthless because it has no internal threads to hold the powder measure... AWWW. I just learned from this thread how it's supposed to be used!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Looks like I need to hunt down a 1.25" bit now.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

Years ago I removed the threads on mine with an old rasp or something. Drop the measure in and use a die lock ring on the bottom side. Problem solved and it doesn't move around on me.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

On my Hornady stand, and the taller one I made for the Hornady measure:
    I've always put the measure through the hole, and spun a die lock ring up to the top.

To really cinch it down, I rotate the measure about 1/4 turn while holding the lock ring.
    Removal is the same, turn the measure 1/4 turn to loosen it, then spin the lock ring off.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    Looks like I need to hunt down a 1.25" bit now.....
    I didn't have a large drill bit so I used a cheap step drill I had bought at tractor supply in the bargain bin. I drilled from the top to the 1-1/4" step depth. Then I turned the stand over & did the same. The little bit of metal left in the middle was easily removed with a Dremel.

Attachment 299200

Boolit Master

Pretty clever retrofit! I don't like to thread my measures either which is why I appreciate that the new version of the powder stands are not threaded. Measure drops in and is secured from the bottom with a lock ring -- finger tight. Spin the lock ring off to dump powder or to swap measures. Quick nd easy.

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Grand Master

I was all set for this until I saw the price for bushings. Maybe I’ll do the through hole and nut below.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

The 2 lock rings sounds just right for me. It is a pain for both the large RCBS measure and the Little Dandy. The Little Dandy has to be emptied to change out the rotor when you are trying to zero in on a odd powder(surplus). I've sometimes had to check the weight thrown by 3 rotors to get where I want.
    John
    W.TN

"Why didn't I do this sooner?" Lol
    Great idea. I have the step bit too. Don't know if that fact helps my case or hurts it. It was all staring me right in the face. I'll have this mod done by the weekend. Thanks pertnear