WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Arisaka help

Boolit Master

Arisaka help

I picked up a cheap sportered arisaka today and I'm looking for info, it appears to have a chrome bore but shallow rifling. All the numbers I've found match and has an intact mum. Idk if it's a 99 or a 38, I want to say a 99. Came with a custom stock and trigger guard/magazine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Looks to be a Type 99 to me. If so, it should be 7.7X58mm. Maybe late war mfg due to shape of safety knob.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Looks to be a Type 99 to me. If so, it should be 7.7X58mm. Maybe late war mfg due to shape of safety knob.
    Do you know where I might find a stock for it?

Looks like it's in an unfinished semi-inletted stock, which could be shaped and finished into something nice. It does look like a Type 99. Or, is the barrel still full length and you wish to restore it to full military?

DG

Boolit Buddy
    If you are looking for a military stock, there are several listed here https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...?idCategory=83

Boolit Master

Must be a T99 due to single vent hole but I would check chamber (cerrosafe) before I shoot 7.7
    Full mum may indicate neither a trainer nor a school-issue.
    No markings may also be a last ditch.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Looks like it's in an unfinished semi-inletted stock, which could be shaped and finished into something nice. It does look like a Type 99. Or, is the barrel still full length and you wish to restore it to full military?

DG
    Possibly, barrel is not cut and its all matching from what I can see, only modification was to the trigger guard

Boolit Master
    Checked there first, all sold out.

Based on that information, I'd try to restore it. Receivers that still have the "mum" are somewhat unusual today. I have two of them in my accumulation, but do not claim to be an Arisaka expert. There seems to be quite a bit to learn about them, as they were made in several different arsenals in different series of production. Finding an uncut military stock might not be too hard, but finding the production-correct stock might prove difficult. SARCO might be a place to start.

DG

Additional thoughts:

In your search for a stock I'd probably settle for any in nice condition that was for a full length 7.7 that worked. They really shouldn't be that hard to find, as so many were brought home and re-stocked, plus many imported by surplus dealers after the war. In it's infancy, the entire S. Korean Army was armed with Arisakas that were converted to .30-06 (not a good conversion as done) and many of those were imported.

If there is a reference book on the various Arisakas and their variations I'm not familiar with it, but there probably is, and it's worth the search for one and the investment if you want a precisely correct restoration.

The vast majority of them had chromed bores, the idea then copied by the Soviets, Chinese, and the U.S. in the M16. A great idea for tropical climates.

Your trigger guard does not appear to have been altered, just looking at the posted photos. The bottom release was a standard feature.

I've got one in the project pile that was shortened by a former owner, and a semi-inlet Bishop stock for it. So if you keep us posted on what you learn and your progress I'll be following the thread with great interest.

DG

Boolit Master
    Dad has put a claim on it, we still may try to get a stock as close to original, but he's gonna try and save/finish the sporter stock. Rifle was in a damp basement and there was no finsh on the stock and it was still rough finished so I don't know if it's saveable.

The interlocking rings proofmark on the reciever means that it was built at the Kokura Arsenal. Probably......
    I dont know if that rear sight was before or after the AA sights- probably before....
    Good strong actions in my experience- I've owned two 99s in the past and one 38.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've owned and shoot two model 99's since the 80's and have found that this web page has just about all the information about manufacturing dates, armories and backgrounds needed to date both the model 38 and the model 99.

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

Looks like it is a Toyo Kogyo series 34 made late war which didn't come from the factory with the air plane wings on the rear sight. The round bolt handle and safety knob looks correct also but probably doesn't match for serial numbers. It's interesting that the receiver isn't marked with the Japanese characters showing that it's a model 99 but it has a good mum. The single hole vent hole in the chamber is a dead giveaway that it's a model 99. Since it came with a sporter stock I would check to see if it was chambered to a different caliber. Nice and looks like the action is in good shape. I would try to find a complete Arisaka stock for it.

The trigger guard looks correct, both of mine are bulky and rough. I also remember they had Medford rifling but don't hold me to that.
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 04-17-2022 at 07:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    I've owned and shoot two model 99's since the 80's and have found that this web page has just about all the information about manufacturing dates, armories and backgrounds needed to date both the model 38 and the model 99.

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

Looks like it is a Toyo Kogyo series 34 made late war which didn't come from the factory with the air plane wings on the rear sight. The round bolt handle and safety knob looks correct also but probably doesn't match for serial numbers. It's interesting that the receiver isn't marked with the Japanese characters showing that it's a model 99 but it has a good mum. The single hole vent hole in the chamber is a dead giveaway that it's a model 99. Since it came with a sporter stock I would check to see if it was chambered to a different caliber. Nice and looks like the action is in good shape. I would try to find a complete Arisaka stock for it.

The trigger guard looks correct, both of mine are bulky and rough. I also remember they had Medford rifling but don't hold me to that.
    I have to take it apart again now I know where all the numbers are, but what I did find matched, I may have also found a stock for it, and I'm certain it's still 7.7, I will use a dummy to make sure it's not 7.7/06. But since dad laid claim to it, it's up to him to decide whether to finish/fix the sporter stock or return it to as close as possible to original. I kinda regret telling him about it before I grabbed it now, it was tossed in a deal for an 03a3 barreled action.

Boolit Master
    Based on what I've found it's a 34th series toyo kogyo, and so far it's all matching and has the chome bore. Got to check a few more things and go from there.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar