Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bear Gun Shootout: 10mm vs .44 Mag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Yes it is.

I will be spending about a month in Alaska this summer in prime bear county. I have a 460 S&W but it is too large and heavy for daily carry for what I am doing. I have 44 Mag and 45 Colt single and double actions if I want.

However I will be carrying a FN FNX 45 in 460 Rowland for bear defense. 15 plus 1 of mid-level 44 mag should get it done if needed. 250 grains at 1,300 fps for 16 shots is nothing to sneeze at. https://www.460rowland.com/shop/ammo...us-game-250gr/

I do plan on an actual Grizzly at the same location. If it's a spring hunt I will use my 375 H&H or my 416 Rigby. If it's a fall hunt archery is an option.
    Have a good trip, try not to have any king crab farts.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Good luck on your summer trip & your hunt. I'm guessing a 460 Rowland with 16 rounds of 250's has got to weigh a little bit.
    You should be well armed.
    Dick

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/dJ0ZrMu

Here's a picture of my "bear". It's fun to blaze away at it but eventually you want to hit the thing... it makes you use your sights and wait till it's closer than you might think.
    I have a saw horse and ramp with a rope that starts it moving. The frame has counter weights on the bottom to keep the target on top but at the start the frame swings back and forth.
    It's not lite, it could take you out if it's coming straight for you!
    This is awesome. I really want to make one of these this summer now!! I'd love to see it in action. The other post about rolling a tire got me thinking of putting the target in the center of the tire (no wheel) as it's rolling.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Good luck on your summer trip & your hunt. I'm guessing a 460 Rowland with 16 rounds of 250's has got to weigh a little bit.
    You should be well armed.
    Dick
    The FN FNX 45 is 33.2 ounces. I am not sure what the muzzle brake weighs but with 16 rounds and the brake it's about a pound more. That's just a hair over 3 pounds. That's a lot of firepower in a very controllable package.

A friend owns and operates a salmon and grizzly bear guide service. I will be fishing and helping him get ready for the fall hunting and fishing clients. I will catch the end of the king run, the peak if the pink run and the start of the silver run.

If I book a bear hunt it would be about 1/2 price. If I fill a cancelation it will be almost free.

Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-17-2022 at 09:52 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Have a good trip, try not to have any king crab farts.
    Last time I was up there he did feed me more king crab than I could eat and I can put away a lot of king crab.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Ha! Shouldn't be hard to find a bear if you smell like a fish......... good luck!

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Ha! Shouldn't be hard to find a bear if you smell like a fish......... good luck!

Dick
    Just a little guy but sometimes you just need to look out the window.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0721(1).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	299159

Not a little one

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	299162
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-18-2022 at 12:26 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter357 View Post
    This is awesome. I really want to make one of these this summer now!! I'd love to see it in action. The other post about rolling a tire got me thinking of putting the target in the center of the tire (no wheel) as it's rolling.
    I found an old video with my son shooting a model 10 at it. Who knows what one can come up with when you have some spare time and some junk laying around.

https://youtu.be/nxJaXKXYX4c

Well maybe not, the censors have spoken
    Last edited by pmer; 04-17-2022 at 11:09 PM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    This is a much better comparison imho; https://youtu.be/ei5d_BkiwRA
    That was an excellent evaluation without BS.

IMO if I was going to hunt large bears with a guide to back me up, the .44 Mag would be a better choice. But if I am alone and selecting a pistol to ward off an attack, I would prefer the 10mm. Those extra shots could be the deal makers. In addition, I have done a lot of pistol shooting and I am not going to spray and pray. If anything, I am at the other end of the spectrum and tend towards accuracy over quantity of bullets downrange.

I would also consider which platform draws easier and comes up to the target "naturally". That is going to vary by individual.

I liked the three second test and that he did it three times to get a decent average.

Again thanks for posting it!!!
    Don Verna

If I book a bear hunt it would be about 1/2 price. If I fill a cancelation it will be almost free.

Bring a rifle. I have been to Karluk lake.

Jim

I have not idea on big bear’s……But I’ve owned/reloaded several 44 mag’s and carry a Glock 20/10mm.

I recall some Alaska guide’s saying “I’d rather a hunter bring a /06 he can shoot than a 338 he can’t.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    I have not idea on big bear’s……But I’ve owned/reloaded several 44 mag’s and carry a Glock 20/10mm.

I recall some Alaska guide’s saying “I’d rather a hunter bring a /06 he can shoot than a 338 he can’t.”

A lot of guides enjoy shooting client’s wounded game! It brings some pleasure to the many hours of hard work and dealing with “entitled” clients! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    A lot of guides enjoy shooting client’s wounded game! It brings some pleasure to the many hours of hard work and dealing with “entitled” clients! memtb
    No. After the first shot, they all unload anyway…….

Boolit Master
    One would be very lucky to get one shot at an attacking brown bear and getting several shots pushes the odds way up. 44mag will hit much harder on the one shot you may get. I certainly wouldn't be carrying a super light weight stubby one though.

I'm glad there's lots of choices for hand guns. IHMO the extra rounds from an autoloader would be useful for warning shots and when the bear is farther out.

You can download a 44 mag, 45 Colt to 250 grains at a 1000 fps and be where a 10mm wishes it could be. You could even have ascending velocities where the last ones are going much faster.

I'd be nervous about a souped up autoloader unless it could shoot hundreds of rounds without any type of failure. Just think about all the nose profiles, cartridge lengths and springs, etc.

I've only been on one guided hunt and the guide used a12 gauge with slugs. I asked him what slugs he's using? "regular slugs" I replied I shot a yearling buck with one of those and the slug was as flat as a pancake and it didn't pass through on a broad side shot. I had a 45-70 with 400 grains and big charge 3031 and a 44 snubbie.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Possibly a better comparison would be between my 10mm SR1911 (40.4 oz) and my S&W .44 Mag Mountain Gun (41.5 oz) (weights off the Internet because I’m too lazy to get the guns out of the safe and scales out of the kitchen).

I know that I can accurately hit targets faster with the SR1911 and empty ten 10mm rounds faster than six .44 mid-range loads out of the revolver. Not “bear” loads but 250gr swc over 10.0gr of Unique, changing to the same bullet over a warm 2400 load slows me down a bit more.

My question would be is a 200gr 10mm WFN at 1,200fps enough to stop a big bear? I know it will go through six gallon jugs of water and hit an old soft body armor panel with enough energy to put a 2” hole in the 5 gallon bucket full of water holding up the panel with the backface deformation.

Boolit Master
    When the 9mm vs .45ACP debates come up regarding protection against two legged critters, stories inevitably come up about some perp taking 12GA slugs and surviving, while another guy killed two with a one round of .38 special. I imagine similar stories exist for bear. When it’s your turn to go, you will go to the place you have chosen.
    What about the bears hopped up on PCP?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    When the 9mm vs .45ACP debates come up regarding protection against two legged critters, stories inevitably come up about some perp taking 12GA slugs and surviving, while another guy killed two with a one round of .38 special. I imagine similar stories exist for bear. When it’s your turn to go, you will go to the place you have chosen.
    What about the bears hopped up on PCP?
    Is PCP short for Por Cu Pine?

Just a little guy but sometimes you just need to look out the window.

Name:	IMG_0721(1).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	299159

Not a little one

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	299162
    Attachment 299276Attachment 299277

Yep, just look out the window is right. Especially when they smell a 4th of July fish fry!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    Here's pictures of a Montana game warden that killed a 500 pound Grizzly with a .357 magnum to save his own life:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...fieldandstream
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast