MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: best guns for open carry

Boolit Master

best guns for open carry

well with constitutional carry becoming a real thing in some places its time, for me anyway, to think about what gun is best to open carry.
    ive always thought of the g22 as an effective self defense weapon, but a 357 is maybe my second option, but been thinking maybe a 1911 might be good or even a more compact 9mm double stack like a sig. and then there is a local store that has a new g20 in stock
    wondering what others think is an ideal open carry weapon..

Vendor Sponsor

Boy you are opening a can of worms. different strokes for different folks. Here goes for me
    being a tall and larger individual I carry a judge is no issue for me. Mine is loaded with 9 pellets and 3 flat discs in each rd x 5 rds
    all in a blackhawk click in holster. IE you have to push in a paddle to release the gun. no one else is going to get my gun easily.
    If not the Judge I would probably be carrying a Glock 21 45 ACP
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    In my opinion you’d want to start with a caliber/handgun setup you can shoot well. I’d want a 9MM or more powerful ( g22 is a good choice) with a 4 to 5” barrel. Reliability would also be a key component. The rest is personal preference.

Boolit Grand Master

The one you can keep concealed.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As always Larry you are spot on.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^^This^^^^

Open carry is a bad idea. You lose any element of surprise, set yourself up as a potential target to have your gun taken away and used against you and you scare the natives.

Most civilian holsters lack security features to enhance weapon retention. If you are not physically fit, trained in weapon retention and unarmed combatives, open carry is just plain stupid.

If you want to make a political statement find another way.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I don't advertise or show my cards, however, to each their own.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

I open carry when hunting. When I am in a high risk area it's 100% concealed.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Invisible ones.

If you feel,the need to open carry, nothing says no BS like a 1911.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^

Open carry is a bad idea. You lose any element of surprise, set yourself up as a potential target to have your gun taken away and used against you and you scare the natives.

Most civilian holsters lack security features to enhance weapon retention. If you are not physically fit, trained in weapon retention and unarmed combatives, open carry is just plain stupid.

If you want to make a political statement find another way.
    All excellent points. Open carry with double action revolvers and Glock style guns without manual safeties coupled with non-retention holsters would be my last choice for open carry for SD.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Living in Fl, my guide is the most caliber your clothing will allow. Most times, it’s a Sig 938 in a deep pocket holster. Sometimes the same pistol on the hip, strong side. Baggy cargo shorts make the pocketed pistol disappear, but it’s not easily available so out comes the belt belt holster depending on the social situation. Other times, with snug jeans, I pull out the Kal-Tec 32. I’ve been on a quest for the perfect carry pistol for over 30 years and have decided as soon as I get the ultimate pistol, a new and better option becomes available. For now, the 938 is my preferred carry gun, although others are certainly appealing.

Boolit Master
    I, too, conceal instead of open carry. My EDC is a Sig 365XL. It's 9mm, 12 rounds, small and light, but with a big enough grip that I have good, positive control when I shoot. My priorities for concealed, in order, were: reliability, capacity, weight, and concealability/size. The weight is more important than you might think. Consider whether you want an extra 3lbs on one hip, requiring a stiff belt every time you leave the house, and messing with your gait. I can wear a normal 1.5" belt with the 365, and its light weight doesn't give me knee or hip trouble from walking like I have a brick in my pocket, and doesn't drag my belt down on that side.

I'd keep the same considerations in mind for open carry, including concealability, in case I wanted to pull my shirt or jacket over it in a particular situation. I'm in Texas, 2/3rds of the year is too warm for a jacket, so I'm usually in a T-shirt and shorts or jeans. The Sig is small enough to conceal easily, even lightly dressed.

I open carry when out hunting, usually a 1911 with FMJ, because pigs. But when I'm out hunting, I'm dressed for open carry, with a proper gun belt. I'm also already carrying other uneven weight, and my gait will be irregular across uneven ground anyway. Different considerations than day to day.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

A nice leather holster looks a lot more professional than a cheap plastic one. Or an expensive plastic one for that matter.

Open carry and be polite to everyone and you’ll have many people asking about it and you can correctly inform them of the laws of carrying a firearm.

I’ve open carried some. I conceal mostly though. Not for tactical reasons, I’m 6’5 and 360 pounds. I don’t need a gun to draw attention to me.

The reason I conceal is more for the odd encounter with police. I’ve had LE instruct me to put my weapon up when open carrying. Not in town. But at a friends house. Animal control officers were called, by my wife no less, and when they arrived, they seen fit to direct their attention at the guy carrying a gun instead of addressing the reason for the call. I understand they view things differently so I can’t blame the specific officer, but from that point on, I figure concealed is better.

Boolit Master
    Good answer Larry
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

I am agin open carry for the reasons our wise ones have stated.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    A nice leather holster looks a lot more professional than a cheap plastic one. Or an expensive plastic one for that matter.

Open carry and be polite to everyone and you’ll have many people asking about it and you can correctly inform them of the laws of carrying a firearm.

I’ve open carried some. I conceal mostly though. Not for tactical reasons, I’m 6’5 and 360 pounds. I don’t need a gun to draw attention to me.

The reason I conceal is more for the odd encounter with police. I’ve had LE instruct me to put my weapon up when open carrying. Not in town. But at a friends house. Animal control officers were called, by my wife no less, and when they arrived, they seen fit to direct their attention at the guy carrying a gun instead of addressing the reason for the call. I understand they view things differently so I can’t blame the specific officer, but from that point on, I figure concealed is better.
    In Texas, at least, when you are detained by law enforcement, they are authorized to ask you to put it away, or even take possession of it during the detainment. They usually don't. Most cops, when I tell them I'm carrying, say "Great! Leave it where it is and I'll leave mine where it is."

But domestic disturbance calls are the most dangerous calls they get, so I can see them being extra cautious.

By the way, anytime police tell you to stay where you are, or stand over there, or stay in your car, you are legally detained.

M1 Garand. Slung over the back while riding a motorcycle. Keeps traffic away.

Boolit Master
    I open carry when hunting and when I go to meet a trespasser.
    I don't like that folks know that I am carrying if at all possible. It does make some people nervous, others curious. I guess I just don't see the point of open carry other than to make sure that you will be the first one targeted if trouble does start.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Do some states have open carry and not concealed carry?

Mostly my Spring/Fall wear.
    Attachment 298958
    Last edited by sparky45; 04-13-2022 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added info

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast