Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer power

Primer power

Hodgdon's reloading data says they used WSR primers for 454 Casull with H110. Am email from Winchester told me that "you cannot use small rifle primers with a 454". Go figure that one. I was loading 300 gr boolits with H110 and ran out of CCI SR Magnum primers but I have some Winchester WSR primers and I see that Winchester makes a large rifle mag primer but not a small mag. I have read that a lot of you, here in this forum use and like Winchester primers. My query is, has there ever been an independent test of the brisance of small rifle primers? Evidently Winchester thinks theirs is hot enough to not need a mag rating. I know that years ago the early Speer manuals recommended mag primers for all ball powders. I used mag primers in my 223 with BL-c2 and the accuracy got better and velocity spread went down when I did.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    My way of looking at it is, since Hodgdon markets Winchester powder, supplies reload date for it I would go by what Hodgdon says.
    Could I be wrong in my opinion, yes most certainly.
    But I wouldnt be afraid in the least to use the primer Hodgdon says. Of course Ive used Federal, Remington, CCI in the 454 Casull.

were the primers you used in the 454 magnum designation? I guess the reason I tread so lightly in the selection is because I had a non magnum primer push the powder charge and Speer 158 gr about 2 inches up the barrel in a 357 Ruger ...Twice. What a mess to clean out on the range. The primers were stored in climate controlled area and no contaminates were on them. The crimp was a heavy one rolled into the cannelure.
    44man(Jim) it's questions like this when we miss your input!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    were the primers you used in the 454 magnum designation? I guess the reason I tread so lightly in the selection is because I had a non magnum primer push the powder charge and Speer 158 gr about 2 inches up the barrel in a 357 Ruger ...Twice. What a mess to clean out on the range. The primers were stored in climate controlled area and no contaminates were on them. The crimp was a heavy one rolled into the cannelure.
    I used Rem. 7 1/2, Federal 205 and CCI 450.
    I didn't use low charges of hard to ignite powders in the 454.
    Still that doesn't keep me from using Hodgdond data with the recipes they create.

Boolit Master
    While not in a 454, I use WSR primers extensively with H110 in 357 Magnum. As to any difference between WSP and WSR, I once got myself confused when priming and primed my pistol cases with WSR and my rifle cases with WSP and both worked fine. I also have switched back and forth in my 357 Magnum between WSPM and WSR and saw no difference (I did see a difference with WSP vs WSPM-- but not huge).
    Hick: Iron sights!

There must be a standard by which manufacturer's distinguish standard from magnum primers or maybe not. Maybe I am asking too much for the companies to give up the brisance of their primers.

Boolit Master
    There must be a standard by which manufacturer's distinguish standard from magnum primers or maybe not. Maybe I am asking too much for the companies to give up the brisance of their primers.
    I try to be careful when I load. But I do my own experimentation. If it were me and I were concerned about the WAR primers I would load and shoot and maybe Chrono the loads and move from there. So my question still is since Hodgdon sells Winchester powder and does the load data why be anymore concerned than using any other data by other loading companies? I use standard primers alot in 44 Magnum. Don't worry at all about it. Again I didn't use low charges of powder in the 454. I have used 515 grain bullets in a 454 Casull Encore though. Never worried about that either and 415 in a Freedom Arms.

I found some pics of the primer flash on the accurateshooter.com website under 6mmBR and the difference is pretty dramatic. I cant get them to load here or I would post. There is a LOT of difference on the flame strength. I will load the
    Winchester small rifle primers and see but my chrono is a magneto speed and it is not revolver friendly.

So... What is what?
    WWG1WGA

It is pics of different primers being detonated. The top is a Fed205LR, next one down is a Win LR, next down is a Fed 205SR, and bottom is a CCI BR4 SR. The Win small rifle was not included in these photo's, maybe they couldn't get any but they illustrate that just because we call them standard or magnum, there is a difference between the brands and apparent strengths of flame. I am just wondering why Winchester doesn't offer a small rifle magnum primer.

Boolit Master
    It is pics of different primers being detonated. The top is a Fed205LR, next one down is a Win LR, next down is a Fed 205SR, and bottom is a CCI BR4 SR. The Win small rifle was not included in these photo's, maybe they couldn't get any but they illustrate that just because we call them standard or magnum, there is a difference between the brands and apparent strengths of flame. I am just wondering why Winchester doesn't offer a small rifle magnum primer.
    You need to look at the top two again.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    You need to look at the top two again.
    Right, I left the "m" out of the Fed210m. The M is for match as I understand it. The 2nd one is a Large Rifle as I understand the letters
    Their Mag primers have a M designation.
    Last edited by murf205; 04-13-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Right, I left the "m" out of the Fed210m. The M is for match as I understand it.
    The one on the top right is an RWS large rifle too.

The way they are loaded on my screen is top to bottom. I re-red the post from Outpost75 from 2020 and he stated that in his conversation with an Olin engineer, the engineer stated that there was no basic difference between Winchester primers-std or mag- that they were made on the same line. He also stated that it was for the bean counters to benefit from the different designations.
    44MAG#1 you are right that one is a RWS LR and it is one hot primer if those pics are any indication.
    Last edited by murf205; 04-13-2022 at 07:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    I did a Chrono test maybe 3 years ago on some different primers to see the difference when everything else was the same. I shot the test back to back. Tested the WLP primer and there was a difference between the two lots. This is nothing new.
    With the differences just in "lots" of powder I just don't worry about things much anymore. I just try to be careful and do my OWN testing.
    Nothing is written in stone when it comes to ballistics. That is something to REMEMBER no matter who says it concerning ballistics.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 04-13-2022 at 08:32 AM.

With the differences just in "lots" of powder I just don't worry about things much anymore. I just try to be careful and do my OWN testing.
    Nothing is written in stone when it comes to ballistics. That is something to REMEMBER no matter who says it concerning ballistics.

That is probably the ONLY way to approach primer selection. I think I might have fallen victim to overthinking primer selection but you never learn if you don't ask.

Boolit Master

That is probably the ONLY way to approach primer selection. I think I might have fallen victim to overthinking primer selection but you never learn if you don't ask.
    I have noticed that many overthink things a lot of times. If one uses their brain and is cautious works up a load with HIS COMPONENTS not much will happen. Being fearful is not the same as being careful. It can cause a problem in itself.
    Funny how we get in a vehicle and drive around, even driving to the range and rarely consider the things that can happen doing that and then be oh so concerned about other things?
    No one wants reloading problems but we will have them occasionally with the vast number of them very, very, very, very minor.
    Look at the recalls on factory ammo, powders so even if we don't reload we aren't immune to problems with ammo.
    Funny isn't it?
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 04-13-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    in past ive had problems with winchester sp from blue box, seems ever since they changed from the white packages when they were silver colored to the blue packages with brass colored primers they have been very inconsistent in my experience. but the wlp have always worked well wether its lighting off bullseye or h110.
    I guess just like powder, primers can vary from lot to lot, some brands more so than others. overall I much prefer cci primers for consistency. crazy thing is the least expensive I ever bought were seiller beloit and ive never had any problem with them and usually in past when buying primers its in lots of 20000. I case each of the sp, lp, sr and lr.
    maybe I just got a bad lot of wsp
    I also keep federal and Remington primers and like certain ones for certain rounds like Remington 6 1/2 for the hornet and 25-20 . and all the Remington as well as federal primers seem to be consistent. ive found the rem 7 1/2 work equally well as cci sr or 41's for 5.56. rem 1 1/2 I use for 38 spl.
    Last edited by farmbif; 04-13-2022 at 10:23 AM.

I think that the reason I started casting a jaded eye toward Winchester primers is the fact that I bought a brick of LR's about 20 yrs ago and they were undersized. They mic'ed almost .001 smaller than the CCI's I had been using and you could tell that when seating them. I called W-W and the lady I spoke to gave me a packing slip to return them and said she would let me know what they found out. Sure enough, she sent a voucher for W-W products and said they were indeed undersized. Now let me be clear, I didn't start this thread to bash Winchester, they make some excellent components. My question was why they have std and mag primers but not a mag designation for small rifle. I think that the post by Outpost75 clarified that and I thank him for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast