Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Cool slugging tool eBay score.

Cool slugging tool eBay score.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC5FBDC9-B817-4076-B176-4605AA2549D4.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	298874Attachment 298873

Found this on eBay. Well used but works fine. Waaaaay easier for slugging barrels than the jankey methods I had been using. Fun to add a nice tool I’ve needed periodically over the years. 69$ on flea bay.

Now get one of these and you will not have to fumble with holding it while you use it .Attachment 298880
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC5FBDC9-B817-4076-B176-4605AA2549D4.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	298874Attachment 298873

Found this on eBay. Well used but works fine. Waaaaay easier for slugging barrels than the jankey methods I had been using. Fun to add a nice tool I’ve needed periodically over the years. 69$ on flea bay.
    Is this used to measure the slugs or.....?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Looks like it would be great for measuring 5 groove slugs.
    leadhead

Boolit Grand Master

They were designed for measuring five flute cutting tools like reamers but they work great for 5 groove barrels. I watched eBay for a long time and never found a deal like the OP's. I did wind up purchaseing an import when it was on sale. 108 Degree 5 Flutes Measured V-Anvil Micrometer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5GGBXFVF&psc=1
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    They were designed for measuring five flute cutting tools like reamers but they work great for 5 groove barrels. I watched eBay for a long time and never found a deal like the OP's. I did wind up purchaseing an import when it was on sale. 108 Degree 5 Flutes Measured V-Anvil Micrometer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5GGBXFVF&psc=1
    I got lucky for sure, funny as it was listed as starrett yet it’s clearly labeled mitutuyo.

By the way this mic works for round things too, so it’s the ideal only mic for the loading room as it will measure bullets as well.
    Edit: it will not work for 6 groove barrels or flat items or very small items so a standard mic is also needed in the reload room.
    Last edited by Drew P; 04-12-2022 at 01:52 AM.

Looks like you couldn't measure a diameter less than -- maybe 1/8"??
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Looks like you couldn't measure a diameter less than -- maybe 1/8"??
    Rated down to 3/32”, but I’ve seen some other models that only go down to .200”

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have a large selection of NOE inserts for sizing. I use them as go no-go gages. That micrometer does look nice though.

Boolit Master

I’ve been watching for a deal on one of these for YEARS. Great score for the OP. congrats

way better than stretching a strip of soda can around over the grooves and trying to get a reasonable guesstimate.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    2014CAPITAL.pdf

I was trying to measure my 5 groove s&w the other day and decided that there ought to be a way of measuring this with a normal micrometer. I hurt my head really bad trying to wring out all the geometry and algebra I had learned back in college. So I figured it out and then tested it using cad. You can use a piece of small angle iron with the bottom machined flat or machine a 90 deg. bevel in a block of aluminum. You just need a flat spot on the bottom to measure to.

First you need to find "C" for your block or angle iron. Once you determine this for your block it will be the same no matter what size your projectile is. You will use the value "C" in the "D" equation. If you want to make sure that you are getting the right numbers, you can test it on a sized bullet and then measure the bullet without the measuring jig and see if you get the same numbers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most of us will seldom (or never) encounter the need for doing this type of measurement, but when we do, it's super difficult to get a satisfactorily accurate work around. Even numbers of lands and grooves just need a standard outside mic, it's those odd numbers that get you! Nice find.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Nice find.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I needed one of those today to check a Taurus 357 barrel. Never did get what I thought was a good measurement. At least the slug passed all the chamber throats easily.
    God Bless, Whisler