WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: browning 71 rear flip & tang peep ?

Boolit Buddy
    wow, resurrected thread, nice to be back...This is what I ended up doing for both my B71s in 50 cal. Globe front site and semi buck in the rear.
    Both rifles are adjusted the same with the globe "ring" itself matching the semi buck shape with the bead centered in the globe. Like a reverse peep except the ring is about .450 diam opening. This way I get a real clear pic of a close range target.. This way its almost just like a peep rear. Your brain/eye automatically round the "ring" to the buckhorn. Its fast for point blank operation. Kind of like how your eye works with a red dot.
    Both rifles sited in at 25yds since this was the reason both were built.Both rifles hit 100yds without much drop at all.
    Ive dug a lot of slugs out of the dirt bank, 450gr jacketed Hawk bullets and 530gr Montana hard cast and I cant say enough good about both bullets and how they perform. The .032" copper jacket/lead on the Hawk stay together and make a nasty looking bullet. The montana hard cast deform awesome, some up to an inch wide. I have a hard time deciding which to use.
    Interesting find. Mainly practice with the 18" rifle and I am hard on it, meaning fast hard cycling practice. I broke the shell stop left side guide. So ordered another one from midwest, installed it, worked fine. But after a lot of practice realized the rifle function worked smoother without the stop/guide for two reasons.
    First, using the flat nose hardcast the next shell in the mag holds the loading bullet in the carrier fully back into the carrier which snugs the bullet to the rear which keeps things lined up better using the 50-100 cartridge(no bullet bouncing around loosely in the carrier), and the stop doesnt have to be activated between rounds, gets rid of that first detente feeling raising the carrier which makes it noticeably smoother and secondly the stop was slightly dragging on the extra large cartridge during carrier lifting which is now gone. So I put the broken one back in.
    Actually things are getting out of hand with grizz attacks around here, so much so that there isnt much mention, small articles in the papers. I think they try to keep a lid on it for tourist reasons.
    Yellowstone natl park did a statement saying, there is nothing to worry about, 2.5 million people a year come through our park and one or two incidents. What they dont mention is that 2.4999 million of them stay in the cars.
    An acquaintance of mine while guiding an out of state fisherman killed what the fed fish and game state as "thats the largest grizz you will see in the lower 48" with a first shot at 6', hit the front shoulder, the shot pushed the bear off its path and as the bear wizzed past put three shots point blank, two into the lungs and one to the heart(lucky shots, but he practices a lot) and finished it in the head once it hit the ground,10mm.
    Another guide, right up the canyon two weeks ago had his lower jaw ripped off, all of it. Plus many more attacks this year. Even I am getting a little spooked. Glad I am not sneaking through the brush archery elk hunting anymore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hard88cast View Post
    wow, resurrected thread, nice to be back...This is what I ended up doing for both my B71s in 50 cal. Globe front site and semi buck in the rear.
    Both rifles are adjusted the same with the globe "ring" itself matching the semi buck shape with the bead centered in the globe. Like a reverse peep except the ring is about .450 diam opening. This way I get a real clear pic of a close range target.. This way its almost just like a peep rear. Your brain/eye automatically round the "ring" to the buckhorn. Its fast for point blank operation. Kind of like how your eye works with a red dot.
    Both rifles sited in at 25yds since this was the reason both were built.Both rifles hit 100yds without much drop at all.
    Ive dug a lot of slugs out of the dirt bank, 450gr jacketed Hawk bullets and 530gr Montana hard cast and I cant say enough good about both bullets and how they perform. The .032" copper jacket/lead on the Hawk stay together and make a nasty looking bullet. The montana hard cast deform awesome, some up to an inch wide. I have a hard time deciding which to use.
    Interesting find. Mainly practice with the 18" rifle and I am hard on it, meaning fast hard cycling practice. I broke the shell stop left side guide. So ordered another one from midwest, installed it, worked fine. But after a lot of practice realized the rifle function worked smoother without the stop/guide for two reasons.
    First, using the flat nose hardcast the next shell in the mag holds the loading bullet in the carrier fully back into the carrier which snugs the bullet to the rear which keeps things lined up better using the 50-100 cartridge(no bullet bouncing around loosely in the carrier), and the stop doesnt have to be activated between rounds, gets rid of that first detente feeling raising the carrier which makes it noticeably smoother and secondly the stop was slightly dragging on the extra large cartridge during carrier lifting which is now gone. So I put the broken one back in.
    Actually things are getting out of hand with grizz attacks around here, so much so that there isnt much mention, small articles in the papers. I think they try to keep a lid on it for tourist reasons.
    Yellowstone natl park did a statement saying, there is nothing to worry about, 2.5 million people a year come through our park and one or two incidents. What they dont mention is that 2.4999 million of them stay in the cars.
    An acquaintance of mine while guiding an out of state fisherman killed what the fed fish and game state as "thats the largest grizz you will see in the lower 48" with a first shot at 6', hit the front shoulder, the shot pushed the bear off its path and as the bear wizzed past put three shots point blank, two into the lungs and one to the heart(lucky shots, but he practices a lot) and finished it in the head once it hit the ground,10mm.
    Another guide, right up the canyon two weeks ago had his lower jaw ripped off, all of it. Plus many more attacks this year. Even I am getting a little spooked. Glad I am not sneaking through the brush archery elk hunting anymore.
    Interesting info on the feed there - that bit goes into my files

The attacks !
    we are seeing the same stupidity from the powers that be in the north of this country around crocodiles - when will these people wake up and allow some sensible level of control/management ??? The bears and the crocs have an endless artificial food supply so its for sure numbers will increase to problem proportions (already done that eh)---if mama bear has two cubs and one is a female, in ten or twelve years - unmolested - two bears turns into over a thousand --they dont do it that good but the potential is there, but heres the kicker - at year 8 or 9 there still only a couple hundred and not yet a problem........................................... ............

Lyman number 4 1/2 tang sight is for the model 71. comes with the longer stock screw since they are all pistol gripped. Have to drill the front hole. Dr.C

Boolit Buddy
    must admit I love pulling the trigger on 530gr of hard cast lead down range. Nice to see your still around indianjoe...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12