RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is enough to make you cry

It is enough to make you cry

I just got finished casting, sizing and lubing some 2000 H&G #39 (158gr rn 38 bullet - old school) and set up to run them off for my 2+ year supply of 38's.
    Tumbled the brass, set up the Dillon 550, and went to the closet stash and grabbed 2 bricks of 1000 each of Winchester Small Pistol primers and an 8lb WW231.
    Fortunately I listened to that little voice in my head that I needed to stock up big time in 2019 while things were available. These primers may even be older than that.
    I noticed a price sticker on them.
    Made me want to cry.
    Click to enlarge.
    Attachment 298992
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I just got finished casting, sizing and lubing some 2000 H&G #39 (158gr rn 38 bullet - old school) and set up to run them off for my 2+ year supply of 38's.
    Tumbled the brass, set up the Dillon 550, and went to the closet stash and grabbed 2 bricks of 1000 each of Winchester Small Pistol primers and an 8lb WW231.
    Fortunately I listened to that little voice in my head that I needed to stock up big time in 2019 while things were available. These primers may even be older than that.
    I noticed a price sticker on them.
    Made me want to cry.
    Click to enlarge.
    Attachment 298992
    Wow, they are older then you think. I was buying cci 500's in 2018 for $23/1000 and would do that price gladly now...

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Wow, they are older then you think. I was buying cci 500's in 2018 for $23/1000 and would do that price gladly now...
    Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    You might be right.
    I have a great stash that just might last me the rest of my days.... I'm 73 now.
    Even with no break on buying in bulk, the price is extremely low.
    $1.50/100, $11.50/1000, $57.50/5000
    I can't even remember when I bought them.
    What we wouldn't give to get those prices now......
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

If you go into a store that has them(not likely) they have a few 00's added in there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If I may ask, what is your favorite firearm to shoot those reloads?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Vendor Sponsor

$1.50 might get you 10 to 15 primers now
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    If I may ask, what is your favorite firearm to shoot those reloads?
    exile
    Hard question to answer. But.....
    2" Model 36 S&W snubbie
    6" Model 28 S&W
    Early Interarms Rossi 92 Lever
    It is a great caliber, very accurate and not a ton of recoil.
    Shoot 38's all day long with the Rossi.

Boolit Master
    those are the good winchester primers too, before they switched over to blue box with brass primers.
    ive got one of those old pre safety Rossi's in 357 too, one gun I probably never get rid of even though its old and real ugly, probably spent a couple decades under a pickup truck seat before I got it.

Boolit Master

Buy components when available. Cost will fluxuate. When components are scarce - prices are high. Buy only what you NEED to see you through. Stockpiling now is not the right strategy.

When prices fall, BUY MORE. Then add the former high cost of units to the latter lower cost to AVERAGE their combined price. Prices go up fast and come down slow. The "new normal" won't be the old.

You do this subconsciously now when searching for "lower cost" diesel and gasoline. You buy what it takes to keep your wheels turning and look for cheaper fuel for the fill up. That's AVERAGING...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    If I'd look I think I could find some CCI primers marked $0.59 per hundred. They're left over from the days when I paid $39.00 for 8 pounds of H-335. Of course in those days I was making $695.00 per month. Yes! times and prices are changing.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a move coming up in a few weeks and have been boxing up my stuff. Some of the prices I'm seeing on a few boxes make you look back and think. $1.19 per hundred on CCI primers, $7.99 on a pound of powder, $9.99 on 168 Sierra Match Kings. But I had to work 3 hours for those $10 bullets!

Boolit Master

$12.00 ain't that the going rate now for a 100 sleeve?

Boolit Buddy
    Only 2 left. I ve had thesea while.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220415_183638.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	299044
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wwmartin View Post

Bill
    A blast from the past!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I was paying $1.99 per 100 two years ago. I just about cried when I had to pay $39 a brick last fall. Lol…glad I did. Bought about 18 bricks at that price.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wwmartin View Post

Bill
    73¢ for 2 primers? Times really are desperate!

Boolit Master
    I went to an estate sell last year when the covid isolation had eased a bit. You know, the mask and hand sanitizer period before the "vaccine". Friend and his wife had been to the sale the day before and had seen some reloading stuff. In the basement there were a few things left and some pewter mugs from a canadian flight wing. There was one of those screw and nut organizer drawer boxes with reloading odds and ends and some of those old CCI 1000 primer bricks like the ones in the above post. 6 of them with a price tag of $8.99. I paid $20 for the nut and screw organizer full of reloading stuff. Didn't even haggle over the price. Of course I didn't even set the nut and screw organizer down to fish my money out of my pocket. Wasn't going to take any chance somebody might make a grab for it if I set it down. I discovered that there was a couple sleeves missing from 3 of the bricks. Sometimes it's just bad luck getting shorted like that.

Boolit Master

^^^ haha ^^^

"shorted like that"

I am SO GLAD I did not have a mouth full of coffee at the instant I read that. I would have blown it all over the screen.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I just paid 100 per K 2 days ago of CCI 500 SPP… it made me sick, but not as sick as not having any ammo

Boolit Mold
    Iv been lucky that i have stocked up the last 20 years my friends told me i was nuts and commponents would never be hard to get ,now they come begging for them!