Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: need some help

Boolit Master

need some help

I have a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag and the ejector rod housing screw keeps coming loose. The housing itself appears to be made of aluminum. I would like to tap the threads in the bbl with a bottoming tap and run a die over the threads of the screw to clean them up and put some blue thread locker on. Does anyone know by chance what thread size it is? According to what I found on Gun Parts website, it states they are 8-36 for the New Model Blackhawk. Thanks for any help.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

I don’t have the info you require. Why would you need to chase the threads on either? Why not clean it and loctite it? SBH should be a steel housing unless someone changed it, even on the short barrel versions.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with Bazoo, just degrease the threads in the hole and on the screw with brake or carburetor cleaner then put a drop of Loktite in the hole and tighten the screw then let set. I've done that one several SA's over the years and never had one come loose again.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I don’t have the info you require. Why would you need to chase the threads on either? Why not clean it and loctite it? SBH should be a steel housing unless someone changed it, even on the short barrel versions.
    The threads on the screw appear to be buggered up a little bit probably from be loose. Just want to clean the up. I'm afraid to try and tighten it to much being that there are few threads to engage in the bbl if I don't clean them. Don't want to strip them out.
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Some of the housings are aluminum. Not uncommon.

Loose screw for the housing is also an occasional problem. Several have gotten loose, then snapped off under recoil.

Ruger has used (2) types of screw mounting for the ERH. One, a threaded stud inserted into the barrel, and the other, direct threading of the barrel.
    I can't recall the thread pitch,, but any good machinist has a thread pitch gauge to check such stuff. I'm not in my shop or I'd check it. And yes,, clean up the area, then carefully run the bottoming tap in there. Also, you can use a die to clean up the screw. Or just get a replacement screw. Ruger can supply one easily. And often for free. Degrease, and use a removable LocTite,, can work. I've also used a piece of fishing line, inserted into the screw hole, added the screw, then melted off the tail of line. The nylon line acts as a thread locker.

I hope this helps!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Some of the housings are aluminum. Not uncommon.

Loose screw for the housing is also an occasional problem. Several have gotten loose, then snapped off under recoil.

Ruger has used (2) types of screw mounting for the ERH. One, a threaded stud inserted into the barrel, and the other, direct threading of the barrel.
    I can't recall the thread pitch,, but any good machinist has a thread pitch gauge to check such stuff. I'm not in my shop or I'd check it. And yes,, clean up the area, then carefully run the bottoming tap in there. Also, you can use a die to clean up the screw. Or just get a replacement screw. Ruger can supply one easily. And often for free. Degrease, and use a removable LocTite,, can work. I've also used a piece of fishing line, inserted into the screw hole, added the screw, then melted off the tail of line. The nylon line acts as a thread locker.

I hope this helps!
    Thanks for the info. I did recheck the housing and it is non-magnetic, so I would guess that it is aluminum. I do have a thread pitch gage, but even with my glasses on, it hard to see the small threads. I'll try again under a magnifying glass. The screw does thread directly into the bbl.
    Life NRA member

Thomas Jefferson

You may want to check all the frame screws. Mine tend to loosen with use and need to be checked after each range trip.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Having the aluminum housing is probably a plus, I have had several 44s come in with the steel housing that have sheared off the screw from recoil, most likely caused from someone hot rodding the loads. On one stainless model I dovetailed a piece into the barrel with a small shoulder for the housing to butt up to.

I’ve never heard of new model sbh with aluminum ejector rod housings. Is it a 3screw? I was under the impression they were steel too.