Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Finished my Annealer....

Finished my Annealer....

Always wanted one, but the pricetags scared me off.... found a parts kits on Etsy, and it took me about 8hrs off/on to complete it. Have run about 300 pieces so far , and its seems great. I did try a different arm, works well with shorter cases, but the intended arm is pefect for 06' cases.

Pete

Attachment 298553

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIX...ew?usp=sharing

That's great!
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Buddy
    That's really neat. Good job

Looks way better than mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANNEALING SETUP 3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	298564

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Man
    That's awesome!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Looks better than mine too! I chickened-out on making it auto-feed so I manually feed a case at a time. Had to buy a motor & control module the rest of the stuff was from the junk drawer. I bought a 6" soup pot from a garage sale for a dollar & convert it for the drum. I'm $35 in. So far I've converted & annealed a bucket load of .222's that I squished down from .223. It seems to work for me.
    Attachment 298567
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

where on etsy did you find a parts kit
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I built mine from a YouTube idea that was basic and worked. I added an automatic case feeder to the design and later on added a 50 case automatic feeder ( not shown )
    After use I found I had to have infinite control on the case drum to prevent over / under heating of the case neck & shoulder. I added two speed controls. One for the case drum the other for the feed device timing and throw rotation. This way I have 100% control of the feeding and the heat time. Not shown is also the propane torch set-up and a deflector tray to divert the annealed cases into a cooling tray under the case annealer.
    I have a few drums to allow cases from .17 Hornet to .50-110-750.
    So far I've annealed thousands of cases. If there is a jamb, I can turn off either drive motor by the top mounted power switches. I added a nylon "rub-strip" on the case base side of the feed to allow rimmed and rimless cases. I found failure to do this caused the rimmed cases to run at an odd angle and want to jamb the brass feed wheel.
    The unit runs on 120 VAC converted to 12 VDC as needed.
    The total cost was under 200 bucks and took about 6 hours to build from scratch. most parts were bought off of Ebay.
    quality of the anneal is up to the operator. you can easily get "Lake City" looking cases or hardly showing at all annealing regions.
    Great job Pheassler! You will be happy with the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CA1.jpg   CA2.jpg   CA3.jpg   CA4.jpg   7.62x51 case.jpg  

Last edited by Rapidrob; 04-04-2022 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Still looking at 1 next year (for 3 years in a row). What keeps stopping me was the price. Where did you find the parts for this?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

How does the spindle send one case at a time and NOT drop another one in the seemingly LARGER slot coming right after it?

In other words, how does the spindle "decide" to preclude multiple cases from being sent IF the next available slot is LARGER than the case that it just sent?

I LIKE it and hope that the bounce of long cases off of the "place keeper arm" in the rotary drum do not cause cases to rotate out the drum. Perhaps a slight tilt of the machine toward the back will preclude that?
    Last edited by Land Owner; 04-05-2022 at 05:26 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    So am I understanding this correctly. In addition to the parts kit you have to have your own cabinet, large drum, and controls?

Boolit Master
    Very slick, well done. Also have the same question as above as to how does it not pick-up more smaller cases...using a "filler" in the larger slots when doing smaller cases?
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Very slick, well done. Also have the same question as above as to how does it not pick-up more smaller cases...using a "filler" in the larger slots when doing smaller cases?
    The case pick-up wheel shown in the copper color mounts inside another wheel which has an indexing window, pick the window dependent on case size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    I built mine from a YouTube idea that was basic and worked. I added an automatic case feeder to the design and later on added a 50 case automatic feeder ( not shown )
    Looking good, I tried the case holder bail in the same position, but it got so hot after 100 cases, didnt wannt start melting or losing control of the case temps.

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    So am I understanding this correctly. In addition to the parts kit you have to have your own cabinet, large drum, and controls?
    i built my cabinet out of MDF, wrapped it in vinyl. And the rest is Amazon/ebay parts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    How does the spindle send one case at a time and NOT drop another one in the seemingly LARGER slot coming right after it?

In other words, how does the spindle "decide" to preclude multiple cases from being sent IF the next available slot is LARGER than the case that it just sent?

I LIKE it and hope that the bounce of long cases off of the "place keeper arm" in the rotary drum do not cause cases to rotate out the drum. Perhaps a slight tilt of the machine toward the back will preclude that?
    On mine and others there is a speed control for each drum. They must be in sync to feed at the right time and anneal in the right time.

I time my annealing first and then adjust the feed speed to match. You can then record the speeds for future reference. I have to watch it closely or two casings can fall out occasionally.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

My case drum is on a timer with a run speed adjustment. So if I need a case fed every 20 seconds or 5 seconds that can be done. The case drum has a switch actuator that will trip the feed drum to feed the next case two seconds before the slot in the drum has rotated around to have gravity drop the case into the drum. The feed drum is fully adjustable for throw and feed time. The case will settle down in its spin and drop next to the rod and spin as it is heated.
    I have two speed displays that I can write down and redo with the same size case again.
    Both drive motors are precision and can be adjusted to a given speed and will lock in when adjusted.
    Both motors are on protection fuses in case of a bad jamb.
    The feed drum motor is very strong and will not stall if there are 50 cases in my feed ramp waiting to be annealed.
    Most cases take ten seconds to anneal. Some more some less depending on case size.

Boolit Buddy
    I built my annealer from the basic idea put out by "Skip the Australian" many years ago, I used a cog belt drive to keep the pickup drum and the annealing pan in sync. I got most of the parts from Chinese dealers in home-built 3D printers. I built in a 2:1 gearing reduction to get the motor RPM up, and fitted all the parts in a Chinese plastic electrical enclosure. heres a photo of the completed unit, it works well:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails annealer.jpg