Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best state to hunt hogs cheap

Boolit Master

Best state to hunt hogs cheap

I am looking at Florida to go hog hunting. You can hunt hogs on public land at no cost. You need hunting license and what I understand you can hunt with out charge. Is there a better state to hunt hogs in. It cost to much in Texas as the farmers get offers of pay to hunt on their land. Have seen hogs in SC when uncle had me at the naval Base but didn't have CO's permission at that time.

Boolit Master

Lot's of em in Texas and Oklahoma..

A license is NOT required to hunt hogs on private land in Florida. They’re considered feral and the property of the landowner.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    A license is NOT required to hunt hogs on private land in Florida. They’re considered feral and the property of the landowner.
    Same in Mississippi
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy

Hopefully someone will chime in with some good advice
    I hear stories about how they are tearing up fields in the county across the river from me. I drive over in that area every spring while the farmers are plowing their fields and talk to them but no one will let you hunt. Not even if you try to get in to bow hunt.

I am interested as well. I hear the tales of hogs ravaging the land and see the videos of the people harvesting them, but it seems that you either own land in the infested area or need to be wealthy to participate. I friend of mine that is a software creator, thus wealthy, paid $600 a night to hunt. That is not in my budget at all.

I can afford to get myself to the land of plenty, then get lodging and a car, but paying those kind of fees to hunt are not realistic for me.

Are there any budget-conscious options?

Boolit Buddy
    im in the same boat,,in Florida and looking for a place to harvest 1-2 hogs a month, thinking of going to feed stores or farmers markets and asking around....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    I am interested as well. I hear the tales of hogs ravaging the land and see the videos of the people harvesting them, but it seems that you either own land in the infested area or need to be wealthy to participate. I friend of mine that is a software creator, thus wealthy, paid $600 a night to hunt. That is not in my budget at all.

I can afford to get myself to the land of plenty, then get lodging and a car, but paying those kind of fees to hunt are not realistic for me.

Are there any budget-conscious options?
    I am running into the same challenge. Saw some reasonable priced places a while ago but cannot find them now. Not sure what the heck happened but I haven't given up yet.
    Don Verna

I mean if your decent at hopping fences and have a thermal about any southern state lol ! Nah seriously though it's kinda weird down here. Most of the hogs have learned to stay on private property during the day so if you can't find a land owner that will let you on your gonna have to do a guided deal. And if you do find a land owner alot of the times their expecting to come in with either thermals or dogs and kill a sounder or two at a time. Hobby hunters have gotten kinda a bad rap when it comes to hogs lately
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Beechbum444, there are selected Wildlife Management Areas that allow hog hunting year round. Check out the Florida Fish and Wildlife page for those areas with spring and summer hunts. Kissimmee Chain of Lakes Area and the Rolling Meadows Unit - Kissimmee Chain of Lakes Area have year round hunts. Even though no license is required, you’ll need a management stamp and possibly a quota permit.
    Last edited by Castaway; 04-04-2022 at 04:30 PM.

Boolit Master

For those of you who know.....I think you'll need snake leggings also, unless you're hunting in the dead of winter.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Castaway, appreciate the info on Kissimmee , currently in Tampa/ Largo on a travel nurse assignment......that area doesnt seem that far away....Dade City....Is there a very long rifle range up that way , like 1000-2000 yards ????

Piedmont of SC has a gracious plenty of them....on public lands. Check out the SCDNR regs...basically, you can shoot them with any firearm that is legal at that time for any other game species. Stupid rule....we should be allowed to murder them at will with the biggest gun we got, but it is what it is. Not actually a 'season' on them here, but the firearm restrictions are based on what 'game' is in season at any given time.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

beechbum444, Dade City Gun Club has a rifle range with 25, 50, and 100 yards and pistol lanes of 7, 15, and 25 yards. Manatee Gun Club just south has rifle lanes of 100, 200, and 300 yards. If you qualify at 300, you’re allowed to shoot the 600 yard line. Dade City is $20 all day and Manatee is $30 something. Targets are available at both ranges

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Same in Mississippi
    only if your a Mississippi resident, out of state still requires basic hunting,
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    The issue I have with hog hunting is they're not on my property 24/7, they roam. I may not see them for months, then they show up and tear up everything in sight. This past hunting season we killed over 10 some, shot while hunting, some in our trap. If I could guarantee that you'd see them I d let you kill them for free.

As far as the damage they do at least from a forestry perspective, one winter my brother and I planted 5000 pine seedlings, they rooted up about 1/3 of them. Then they also kill adult trees by their wallows by rubbing on them, taking off the bark. They destroy deer feeders, create wallows in our roads, supposedly they raid turkey and quail nests, and I've seen them run deer off.
    LSU is developing a new humane poison for them that only kills hogs and doesn't secondary poison humans or predators from eating the flesh but its still in testing and is a ways off from approval.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy

New York forbids hog hunting in state as “it scatters the hogs”.

Boolit Grand Master

In Plain Dealings , Louisiana - Hogwalla Outfitters provides guided hunt on Private Land .
    A couple buddies have been hog hunting there and gave it 5 stars . You can take as many hogs as you like . They have a place to stay and other amenities . Check website www.hogwalla.com
    for details .

I believe a couple years ago a huge hog they named Hogzilla was taken there ...
    Both of my buddies said you will kill hogs and you will eat good while there !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

My nephew has land in TX hill country. But he is booked for hunts for the next 5 years, tough for me to even get in a couple days if I am in TX. He only charges lodging/amenities for hog hunts because they tear up the deer feeders bad. Last time I was down there I came back with a full 13cu foot freezer of 100-150 pound hog meat. Over 150 he grinds for dog food... his bread and butter hunts are for deer so getting rid of hogs is a plus for him.

beechbum, there’s also JTAC Ranch Range at Mulberry. They go out to 2,000 yards. Don’t know any more details than what is on their webpage other than it’s private and pricey.