WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The economics of hand loading

The economics of hand loading

So, I’ve been on here a lot less lately. Due to a few factors I’ve been shooting a lot less, and tinkering in the loading room a lot less also. Even sold off about 1/3 of my guns and a bit of the reload tools also. It’s a shame, but it’s the reality I face. But, then a friend presented a piece for sale and I had to buy it, but it’s in a caliber I don’t load for. I won’t shoot it much, but it will look nice in the safe. SO, the SMART thing to do would be to buy two boxes of factory ammo for it and happily own it and maybe shoot it a few times in the next decade. But is that what I did? Of course not! Instead I HAD to tool up for a new caliber and cartridge. So, new die set (best I can find) with extra seating die of course, new mold from Slovenia, sizing setup, etc etc etc…. Even sprung for a new Mec marksman press because, well, I’m a moron with more $ than brains, and I don’t have much $. So, the press I can’t blame on the new piece entirely, but just the case specific tooling ads up to about 375$ so that’s how much it costs to get into a new gun lol. Now, I know hand loading is NOT about economics, but I just thought I’d share this because I thought it was funny. To spend almost 700$ to load for a gun that I’ll never shoot. Oh well, at least the tools will not lose significant value over time lol.

Banned

Maybe you should shoot it a lot....??!!

I’d like to but I’m just not super inspired to shoot lately. Only went once during whole pandemic. It’s a long story with multiple facets. I tend to get into guns and shooting in waves so I’ll probably be doing more at some point, and boy will I be ready then lol!

what calibur ?

44spec/mag. My pistol casting had previously jumped from 9mm to 45.
    I was unhappy to see that rcbs has discontinued most of the cowboy die line, but I was happy to find a set for 44 still on shelf. They roll crimp those, so I got a taper crimp die to get my station separation and also pick up the option of swapping them if I want to try taper crimping at some point, which I may for reduced loads.

Can someone remind me what a “profile crimp” die is?

Boolit Master

I usually buy RCBS and Redding dies. On normal rifle calibers, a $40 set of dies and a $35 box of bullets, and $60 bag of brass gets me 100 rounds of ammo for about the cost of 4 boxes of factory ammo.

The break even part on reloading dies brass is about 3 to 4 boxes of ammo for me. Now more niche/obsolete/wildcat chamberings might be a few more. But if it a firearm I plan to have for years to come and plan to shoot on at least a small scale, Im buying dies and components every time.

I bought a 357 Herrett contender package, It came with dies and brass. I shot it a few times and decided it wasnt for me, then sold it for what I gave for it.

I bought a used 458 socom upper to try out, 100 new brass and new Lee dies. Decided i didn't want to keep it and made a few bucks on the investment.

Point is, I never consider dies, brass and components a losing proposition. They always have value (moreso than factory ammo that is shot up and you have 1x fired brass left(also with value).

I have sold molds lightly used for what I gave new. It was still a fair deal even at that.

Boolit Master

Now that I see what your caliber is, yeah, I'd go all in on the reloading side of it. One, you dont have to shoot full house magnums all the time, and you will shoot a whole lot more with the downloaded ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd like to shoot more, but life sometimes gets in the way. 75th birthday, stroke, weather have slowed down my shooting quite a bit, but I just bought a new gun (??). It's just another 9mm, but no other cartridges interest me at this time, except maybe 10mm (I already have 32 ACP, 380 ACP, 9mm, 44 Spec/Mag. 45 ACP and 45 Colt). I get much of my enjoyment reloading a few here, a few there, trying different component combos, fabricating shooting accessories and shooting whenever I'm able...

FWIW; 44 Magnum is one of the most versatile cartridges around today. For many years the 44 was my most favorite caliber and I soon had 5 guns for it and I reloaded everything from 123 gr balls up to 265 gr RNFP "T-Rex Killer" loads (with just a few 300 gr wadcutters). If I were to recommend a caliber for shooting and reloading (for an experienced shooter/reloader) it would certainly be the 44 Magnum...
    Last edited by mdi; 04-03-2022 at 03:41 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

You cannot (unless you just want to) assign all of the cost of the "new Mec marksman press" strictly to this caliber, unless you never intend to, or cannot load another caliber on it. Do your other caliber dies not "fit" the marksman press?

I am, in my way, in your same boat...I too have lost momentum for reloading and range time. I certainly have lost a step or two in food plotting. Hunting, previously a necessity for life - like breathing - is less demanding of my time. My 28-year hunting host in South Carolina said I am no longer "mad at the deer" (or hogs on my land in Florida I suppose).

Casting lead has been a saving grace though. I have arithmetically increased my stores of cast boolits.

To my wife's discontent, after hospitalization and recovery from viral and bacteriological pneumonia (Covid), I had some initial difficulty with O2 saturation, was on supplemental O2 for weeks as I got stronger, and was easily tired by very little exertion (not the underlying issue with my inertia). After being laid up about 6-weeks (incl. recovery), feeling better, and weaned off the O2, I started pouring boolits from a new 4-cav, HP, brass, Mihec mold (and an old 2 -cav, aluminum, 223 Bator mold) and kept pouring daily for 3 straight weeks. Now THAT was fun! I got a bit of recharge in that! I am still not motivated to reload those boolits, but they ARE calling me toward that AND shooting some too.

I'm hoping my inertia (and yours) will eventually decrease and life will get back to the hobby pursuits that have historically been requirements for day-to-day happiness, Find something you love to do and JUST DO IT. The repetition will do your soul good.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    It's difficult for me to find a gun I want that I don't already have everything to load and cast for. The last one I bought that I had to buy extra loading stuff for is a 7.7 Jap. I already had dies so all that is left is a boolit mold. Mine has a rather generous bore of .316.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only reload for two reasons. To save money or make ammunition I cannot purchase.

Yesterday I sized four large coffee cans of .223 brass. Using my stash of "stuff", I can produce a box of 55 gr SP varmint loads for $.21/rd. Equivalent factory is $.75/rd if you can find it. Heck brass FMJ is going for $.50!

There is still an economic incentive to reload ammunition. BTW even with $150/k primers, $400/jug powder and $120/k bullets I can reload .223's for $.47/rd. That is about $6/box less than factory SP.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    I can only add to this discussion that without reloading I would not have been able to do even a fraction of the shooting I’ve done over the last forty plus years. Actually it was nearly fifty years ago when I started loading 12 ga for shooting skeet and trap at the local Izaak Walton club, but it wasn’t until a few years later that Dad and I had accumulated enough loading and casting gear to be able to reload for everything we were shooting. From 38 WCs for PPC to 32-40s for Schuetzen and 45-70s for BPCS, loading my own has been the way I’ve gone. I don’t know how much I’ve spent on equipment and components over the last forty years, but nothing like what all that factory ammo would have cost over the years. I can’t begin to dream what they would cost now. By keeping a goodly backlog of components due to buying in bulk when opportunities arose, I have weathered a couple of panics and even now have enough powder, lead, and primers “in stock” to continue shooting about anything I want as often as I want, probably as long as I’m physically able (assuming I don’t go back to skeet… those 209 primers are tough!)

The point is, reloading becomes a lifestyle, and while starting it now would be a rich man’s pursuit, those of us who have done it for decades have a different set of experiences). Could I/would I start from scratch now? I’d probably take up archery or get deeper into SCUBA diving (if travel restrictions would allow) because all things shooting related would be out of reach for a poor man like myself.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I started reloading out of economic necessity when I was fourteen years old, and the economic factor has remained a big part of it all my life.

Except for 22 LR, and shotgun shells, I've bought an incredibly small amount of factory ammo in my entire life. Also, I now possess several firearms, (some of my favorites) that are impossible to find factory ammo for, even if I wanted to.

Knowing what I know now, If I was only wanting to load for a handgun, and nothing else, I'd spend a hundred bucks for a Lee hand press, Lee dies, and a Lee Tumble Lube mold, and "get with it". jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Drew one thing to consider is that a lot of people spend a lot more than that in a single night at the gambling joints and have absolutely nothing to show for it the next day. At least we have something to show for our expenditures. I know I'm not selling my stuff what I paid for it 50 years ago. Stuff like the S&Ws still in the box, mod 42 Winchesters, Dillon reloaders.

I say us old guys need to make ourselves happy buying all the shooting stuff we want.

Boolit Master
    Good to know that others do things a bit backwards like I've been known to do. Several years ago I would buy a box of 9mm ammo everytime I was in a store that sold it, but I didn't own a 9mm gun to use it in. Of course I do now.

Latest backward venture was to buy a set of reloading dies, a bullet mold, and a sizing/lube die, all to accomodate a lever action 44-40, which I do not yet own, but that's OK, 'cause I have no brass either.

Boolit Buddy
    Honestly I try not too think about it the economics of it

Boolit Master
    I'm with you guys on taking hobby stuff in waves. Part of it is horses for courses.... Life hands you lemons so you make lemon pie.

Don't force it. Let things ride. I honestly think some of the ebb and flow helps thin the herd of stuff we accumulate then decided we don't particularly like. For example, I fought 45ACP, and for the life of me can't get it to stop leading... So I gave up and shot jacketed. Life is too short, and cast runs great in my rifles. But now I've got a stack of 45 molds..

Boolit Master
    Redding profile crimp die gives a bit of taper crimp and then a bit of roll crimp as you screw it down.

Where did you find the cowboy dies for 44, I’d like to get a set.

Boolit Grand Master

Fifty years from now you will be amazed how cheap everything was .

Casting boolits and reloading is my Hobby ... I find it fun and relaxing to do . No phone , deadline , contracts or obligatuions , just me and my pot and ladle ... Press and dies ... very relaxing to my soul.

You're allowed to spend money on your hobbies
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Back when I started reloading for 12 ga trap shooting 12 years ago, it made sense to reload as it cost me less when I bought everything, especially 7.5 magnum shot bags, in bulk. Easy transition to rifle and pistol calibers as I like being more self sufficient. I have basically everything I need to reload everything I own and then some. Last few years been really busy working around the house as much as I am able to which has drastically reduced my shooting time. Getting the itch again and hopefully by the end of summer I might be in a lot better position. After trap shooting, reloading for economy if scale was not even a factor as it is far more important to me to have what I want when I want it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast