Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash cam anyone?

Boolit Master

Dash cam anyone?

happened to see this video on YouTube called idiots in cars. got me thinking that one of those dash cams might not be such a bad idea. there are so many of them available for under $100 its mind boggling. but I'm thinking $100 into a dash cam might be a good investment with so many idiots on the roads these days.

Boolit Master

I'm sure, in the right circumstance, they would prove invaluable.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend's dashcam video was accepted by the cops after an accident. My friend was found to not be at fault, due to the video.

Boolit Master
    Certainly not a bad idea. You just don't know what sort you are going to come across nowadays.
    Mom has one now because of a crazy neighbor who keeps acting the fool.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naďve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    I bought one long ago, and use it.
    My reasons for initially getting it were due to a township breaking federal highway laws.

BUT,, having used it for a long time now,, it has proven it's value.

Once, a girl backed into me while we were at a red light. Then drove off. As I called 911 & politely & calmly explained the situation, I also followed her to where she was going. I never confronted her. BUT, she confronted me,, to which I said she'd backed into me. She denied it. I backed away & politely said, We'll wait for the cops.
    Upon seeing the video, the cops were willing to press charges on her. ESPECIALLY when she'd gotten loud, verbally abusive, (screaming at them to arrest me for following her,) and ultimately denying she did anything.
    One look at the video,, and she was "caught." She paid for the minor repairs.

And just last week, I had another thing happen. I can't go into it yet, but the video has been sent to the LEO's involved.

Otherwise,,, I've caught some seriously BAD driving & even an accident on my dash camera.

To me,, well worth it.

A dash cam would come in handy on the roads near the beach during spring break around here……Geez. Had a girl in the back seat of a car that passed me on Hwy 98 and right next to me, going in the same direction, bounce a can full of beer off my windshield, no damage, but, come on guys….. good time to have a dash cam.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I also have been thinking a dash cam would be good insurance in case of an accident or incident.

I bought one and installed it but am having trouble with it. The instructions are translated from the Chinese. I found it interesting that it uses both a mini SIM card and a USB dongle. I need to play with it some more. Maybe the USB thingy is what it needs to know what to do and the SIM card is the storage media. I plugged a different USB dongle into it and it doesn't work. Anyone know more than I do?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    I bought one and installed it but am having trouble with it. The instructions are translated from the Chinese. I found it interesting that it uses both a mini SIM card and a USB dongle. I need to play with it some more. Maybe the USB thingy is what it needs to know what to do and the SIM card is the storage media. I plugged a different USB dongle into it and it doesn't work. Anyone know more than I do?

Jim
    Hard to say without seeing it, but the USB is probably for the power and the "SIM" is most likely for a Micro SD card to store the video.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have them in both vehicles. I only paid around $40 for each, and they take good quality video. I've caught two collisions on them, and the Highway Patrol officers appreciated them, as one of the driver's stories aren't going to match up to facts.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I have been thinking about getting one myself .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I would like one. Can anyone recommend a brand and model? Has anyone every seen or heard of an arrest based on the video? I have a few guys who pass me routinely at about 80mph on bridges,single lanes, corners etc. I would like Barney to see the video and at least issue a warning. My favorite is someone passing, coming toward me in a situation that requires me to slow way down or even get on the shoulder. I really do not like people taking risks with my fife.

Boolit Grand Master

"Can anyone recommend a brand and model?" I have the same request since I know very little about them.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Been running one for about 8 years now. Pretty nifty tool if you have a wreck, Not sure of the name I think its called The Black Box.
    There are rating websites out there that gives you the skinny on each one.

Edit, You do want one with a highly rated picture quality both day and night.

Boolit Master

From everything I’ve heard they are invaluable when someone else causes an accident.
    There are models that display and record your speed too. On the flip side it can also be used as evidence against the camera owner.
    Two people get into an accident, one has a dash cam. Both claim the other was at fault. Responding LEO notices the camera and says: that’s evidence, let’s see who is to blame.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    There are models that display and record your speed too.
    Nope, nope, and nope. I don't want that.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Saw where one guy used it to beat a speeding ticket.

Boolit Master

Your car is likely equipped with an EDR (event data recorder). In the event of impact or deployment of airbag, 8 seconds of data preceeding the event are recorded and recoverable by law enforcement. These include speed, rpm, whether seatbelts were being use and whether or not brakes were deployed. Maybe all US made cars 2007 and newer. Correct me if I am wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Your car is likely equipped with an EDR (event data recorder). In the event of impact or deployment of airbag, 8 seconds of data preceeding the event are recorded and recoverable by law enforcement. These include speed, rpm, whether seatbelts were being use and whether or not brakes were deployed. Maybe all US made cars 2007 and newer. Correct me if I am wrong.
    2002 Chev K1500

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    From everything I’ve heard they are invaluable when someone else causes an accident.
    There are models that display and record your speed too. On the flip side it can also be used as evidence against the camera owner.
    Two people get into an accident, one has a dash cam. Both claim the other was at fault. Responding LEO notices the camera and says: that’s evidence, let’s see who is to blame.
    Speed limit? Only a suggestion?
    you can turn speed (GPS generated ) off
    Best do so if the cam is ever used as evidence
    Also many record sound in the interior - also best turne off.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast