Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Bad decision

Boolit Master

Bad decision

A fellow in my Bible study group has a son 40 years' old Joel by name , that has decided he wants to be homeless ! He is on drugs and alcohol. It is hard on his parents to see this happening ! He has quit the job he had and just wants to be homeless. Please pray for him.

Praying that God brings Joel out of the darkness and into the light of His Grace and Mercy. Prayers of comfort and strength for Joel's family and friends as they face this overwhelming struggle.
    This is heartbreaking for any parent to go through.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master
    I have a 47-year-old son who is on the same path as Joel's son I know his pain, I pray that God will touch his son and change his life.
    I ask this in Jesus Christ name. Amen

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by augercreek View Post
    A fellow in my Bible study group has a son 40 years' old Joel by name , that has decided he wants to be homeless ! He is on drugs and alcohol. It is hard on his parents to see this happening ! He has quit the job he had and just wants to be homeless. Please pray for him.
    My question (with NO disrespect or bad intentions/feelings!) is whether the wishes (e.g. prayers) be for Joel or his parents? I cannot fathom why anyone may wish to be homeless, and have seen quite (too many!) who "live" on metal grates along footpaths in Montreal and Ottawa (for the heat) with some having a shopping cart as their home of all their worldly possessions. Re the "drugs and alcohol" -- neither are given away ('cept for the uninitiated ). How will Joel get necessary funds to acquire more? (rhetoric question) Re his parents -- this may indeed be a nightmare I am most thankful I never needed go through with either of my two sons.
    YES -- BOTH the parents as well as Joel are in my thoughts and prayers. Re the "parents" -- there is that old saying that one may hold the hands of their offspring as they all cross the street only so long, before parents' need let go and allow child to look both ways before crossing on his or her own. Re Joel -- I pray he "wakes up" before he faces any/all common to his lifestyles, ranging from disease to arrest and conviction record... to, his passing.
    BEST to all!
    geo

Boolit Master
    There is a bunch of mental health issues at play here I will guess, as anyone with a shred of sence can see this is self destruction, he is beyond that. That is a heart-wrenching situation for sure, I hope he can find his way out of this. Prayers coming. Hope someone can get him to AA meetings, might have to hit bottom before he realizes he needs to change.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master

I will pray and keep them in my thoughts also. This is one of the hardest things for a parent to go thru. My oldest Daughter went down this path, but she is slowly turning around now. She has tested clean for almost a year is leading a Drugs anonymous group has a job and is getting healthier ( at one time she was under 90 lbs.). its hard but the first thing is you cant try to help them everything you give goes to drugs alcohol whether food money clothes. They have to decide they want / need help and that usually means hitting rock bottom. I found out last summer I have a granddaughter and grandson I will never know. For years I gave her things to keep her well but all I was doing was enabling her to continue.

Again he family and person are in my prayers and thoughts

Boolit Master

Prayers for all those dealing with this same situation!

Boolit Master
    50 years ago,I worked for VA,as a trust officer.......in other words the gubmint kept these guys money for them......there were guys in trust who literally had a million dollars,others who were senior officers......the social workers and the IOs would some times try to set these guys up in a room ,but they preferred to live in a park,and always went back to the park....not drugs then ,just good old alcohol.

Boolit Master

sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you realize that its the wrong path, hopefully he figures things out before an overdose takes him.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    These are sad events in our lives. The parents normally wonder what they did wrong and beat themselves up. I have seen "good" parents who did everything right and still faced such situations but sometimes the nut does not fall far from the oak tree.

I agree with those who believe most times a person needs to hit rock bottom to make when it comes to changing their lives. God is there for all of us, all the time, if we let Him in. I pray he listens to God before it is too late.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I've walked in those parents shoes! I know what they are going through. Al-Anon has been my life line through the bad times, it's allowed me to keep my sanity and develop a closer relationship with God, my addict, and my fellow man. My testimony, 14 years. My son is still struggling, but doing better today.
    May God's peace, guidance, and everlasting love be upon all that are in this situation is my prayer!

Boolit Master

Thank you warriors for stepping up and praying. This is what Gods' people do !

Moderator Emeritus

As many of you know I was in L.E. for over 35 years and dealt with alcohol and drug issues all of that time. It is true that you cant change your position without your own intervention. Ordering AA or NA will not work without the victim wanting to change the situation. Joel will not change without him deciding that he wants to help himself! What is hard is for the parents to not lend him money or anything else. It sound hard but if ya lend or give money to them you are a crutch for them and they have absolutely no reason to change. In the 1970's we had a lot of wineo's where I was working and one was very rich but his family gave him enough money each month to keep him drunk enough that he would not have access to his fortune. It was very sad.

I am praying for Joel and his family....Father, I come to You to ask for intervention in the lives of Joel and his parents and their family. Please show Joel that he needs to ask You for help and then to encourage him to seek it. Father, You are the great healer and only You can bring Joel to being sober by helping him to see that he is going down the path to early death! Father, please give hope and comfort to Joel's family and help them to help Joel by showing him how he needs to sober up and save his life and soul. AMEN
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Prayers sent, for ioon44, too.

Prayers sent, Change has to come from within. External forces, i.e. parents can make it worse, no funds, allow him to come to eat at any time, otherwise, no help.
    Homeless can very well be a way of life, even without drugs and alcohol influence. Just no direction other than the wind.

Boolit Grand Master

Choosing to be homeless is giving up on responsibility. It may be because of overwhelming responsibility without God, it may be because of mental health issues, or it may be simply giving up - there is no way to know.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!