Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 45-70 load question

Boolit Bub

45-70 load question

Hello,

I have a 350 grain mold with no GC. I am planning to use SR4759 27gr powder load and was wondering do I need to use a wad or filler? Is it safe to do so without a wad or filler? I'm not trying to squeeze out sub moa groupings just looking to hit paper and have fun.

I was using a 405 gr bullet with a GC but it beats me up to much.

Thanks!

john

Boolit Grand Master

SR 4759 is easy to ignite, and I have never been much on using wads or fillers to load. One of my friends put a ring in the chamber of his Sharps while using a dacron filler. Another powder you might try is 2400. I get good velocity and great accuracy with 27.0 grs. behind a 405 RCBS bullet lubed with alox (again NO filler or wad).
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

No wads with that load. There's nothing to make it stay in place and you sure don't want to give it a running start before it hits the base of the bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

Try 12 - 14 gr of Unique or Herco with that bullet. No filler needed. Be much pleasanter to shoot and will be "fun" to shoot.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

A lot of guys I hang around with use 4198 GW

Boolit Master
    That should be a nice load. I shot a couple of pounds of that powder through my .45-70's years ago. I agree, no filler or wads.

Chris.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone!

Boolit Master

+1 for 4198

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I know a lot of people loading light loads like polyester fillers, but I use Cream of Wheat(semolina). My loads are not particularly light, but I need to fill up the volume.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had very good results with bullets in the 350 grain range with 2400 and 5744 when duplicating the original BP velocities. 4759 is very close to 5744 in burn rate. You are fortunate to have some 4759 it was discontinued years ago. I tired 4198 and RL7 but found them unacceptable for lower velocity loads with ES over 100fps. They did not perform acceptably until the pressures were in the mid to upper levels of the Marlin/1886 loads which defeats your purpose of a lighter recoiling load. Your 27gr load of 4759 should be about 1300fps.

Boolit Master

no wad needed for that load. Try the Unique. Start with 8 or 9 grains. You may want to use the 4759 for duplex some day and it is excellent for that.

Thats my load. 14gr Unique. Yes it's an all day shooter n pretty accurate too.
    Sprue ™

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Try 12 - 14 gr of Unique or Herco with that bullet. No filler needed. Be much pleasanter to shoot and will be "fun" to shoot.
    Yep, 14.6 grains unique and Lyman’s 350 grain 45-75 bullet. I believe 1300 fps and easily hitting a 24” metal plate at 200 yards with my repro H&R officers model and a leather lace on recoil pad. I was also shooting my modern Remington rolling block 45-70 with the 385 grain Lyman bullet and 14 grains unique at maybe 1250 fps. Even though the gun is heavier and I thought it would recoil less, it appears
    I’ll be looking for a leather lace on pad as well.