RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bar oil soaked military canvas bag

Moderator Emeritus

Bar oil soaked military canvas bag

Well... in my area having a chain saw behind the truck seat might not be the dumbest thing to have, as it doesn't not take thaaat big of a limb or branch or tree, fallen from snow, ice, or wind to put a quick halt to travel. That said, I have recently noticed an "oil" smell in my vehicle, and in taking out the canvas military zipper bag I keep the chainsaw in, I noted the bag's bottom and one side are saturated with (new) bar & chain oil. One of the plastic (a recycled Dawn dishwashing detergent) bottles had split and is now empty... "Stuff happens" -- not the issue or question.

What is, is that I do wish to continue using this WWII vintage bag. My first thought was to use a solvent -- e.g., gasoline, lacquer thinner, acetone, or similar -- but then I got the brainstorm (?) of filling the bag with Speedy-Dry or similar.

I'm happy I found the smell source in my truck; happy, too, that the Dawn container was at bottom of bag so the saw, chains, tool, files and the like stayed dry.

And am seeking advice/suggestions as to what best I might do to not hurt the bag while removing the bar oil?

Any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated... as of now, I have no idea as to what may be the best procedure to try...

Thanks much!!!
    geo

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Stuff with sawdust and wood chips, then leave in the sun. Knead, then pour sawdust out into bucket. Refill with fresh sawdust, knead bag in the bucket to coat outside too and leave for several days, empty out and let air dry. Melt a pound of Gulf canning wax and pour into the oiled sawdust. Knead mixture and pack into paper cups to use as fire starters. Repeat if needed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The speedy dry or Cat Litter would be a good starting point.
    After sitting awhile, (Days) You could wash it in a bucket hot water with Wisk laundry detergent.
    Anyway, that is what I would try.
    Have a friend that used to clean his car engines with Wisk.

Boolit Master
    Something that I have found to get oil out of fabric is to scrub in some pine sol really well,and let it sit for a few days and then just wash it with the rest of the laundry.
    How well does it work?Remember how nasty 50yr old rear end lube smells?It will
    even get rid of that nastiness.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

I would try a wash in soap and dawn dish soap Dawn is designed as a grease cutter. It may take a couple washes and the first will saturate with oil. Then a good drying. I remember reading once dawn was the soap of choice cleaning up oil spills

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would try a wash in soap and dawn dish soap Dawn is designed as a grease cutter. It may take a couple washes and the first will saturate with oil. Then a good drying. I remember reading once dawn was the soap of choice cleaning up oil spills
    Hey, if it cleans up oily ducks it can't be all bad!

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for great suggestions. I think I'll pick up some speedy dry tomorrow morn, and coat the oiled areas with it. The bag is fairly large -- maybe 20" long by 10" each wide and high. (It does hold a small chainsaw and gear ) In my locale, sun seems a rarity -- I have a Solar wristwatch which (the solar) seems to be an additive I wasted $$$ getting . And... we have for certain a couple of months before "warm" weather descends upon us; hence, I'll try the speedy-dry both inside and outside the bag; then -- why not? -- as soon as I can open/turn on sillcocks and have water outdoors, try using Dawn and boiling water (another use for my propane smelter?).
    For NOW -- you folks gave me a good place to start.
    Thank you!
    geo

Lots of good ideas!
    let us know how it comes out.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’d try spraying break cleaner on it, while having a strong vacuum sucking it out the other side. They sell non flammable break cleaner. Then soak the area with pure Dawn, leave it over night and then put it in a washing machine.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Beat me to it . I don't carry a chainsaw in my vehicles unless it's in a plastic case and then only to go from one place to another. I will carry one in a case in the metal locking tool box of a truck for emergency use . Every saw I ever owned leaks bar oil when it sits and I have a bunch of saws and have owned quite a few more . I have Stihl and Husqvarna both from 37 CC to 109 CC and every one leaks some bar oil. Keeping a saw inside a vehicle for long periods of time could damage seals or some of the electric items , especially in older saws.

Taxidermists use Plaster of Paris and gasoline to remove excess oil from skins . They wash the skin in gasoline then when they think they have washed all of the oil out they bury it in pop to remove the gasoline. Maybe they do different now but that's the way the guys I knew did it when I was younger. Would probably work on canvas also if the Dawn does not get it clean enough to suit you.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I doubt you wlill ever get it all out, a stain will remain, Do not dry in machine. I would go with Dawn, 2nd time a stubborn stain remover of some type, then maybe real gasoline or brake cleaner.

Strong grease cutting detergent in a boiling tub of water. Might need to do it a couple times. Might always have a slight stain, but should remove most of the oil and smell.

Boolit Buddy

A couple things jumped out to me, vintage WW2 bag and desire to not damage bag more while cleaning new bar oil from material. I have used dawn to clean up oil stains on concrete and clothes. Tacky bar oil might take longer soak time with warm water and dawn. I'm curious to hear what worked for you.

Super Moderator

Full strength Simple Green is what I'd use. Cuts oil and grease like no other.

Ether (starting fluid) will get grease and oil stains out of clothing. Ether and the shop vac trick mentioned above might do it. Then again...a shop vac may ignite that ether... Nevermind, Don't use the shop vac...

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for Dawn dish soap, works great on my greasey hat. One thing to note is any remaining stain could be from the oil removing what ever fabric treatment the military applied to protect the bag and it's contents. It might be worthwhile to retreat the bag with fabric and tent waterproofing.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    They wash oil soaked ducks in Dawn, should be safe for the sack !
    Another dawn fan here.

Mike

Boolit Buddy

We used to use concrete cleaner sold at delta do it hardware stores to clean old oil stains off of transformers. The rain would wash it away without leaving an oil sheen.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Remember how nasty 50yr old rear end lube smells?
    Leo
    I can only hope we're talking differentials here?

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt you will have luck with floor dry, or anything like that.

Kerosene works really well, that's what I use for oiled air filters, but then your bag would smell like kerosene. Same for mineral spirits and gasoline.

Dawn does ok, nothing magic. Mix some hot water, a bunch of Dawn, and oxy clean in a bucket, and it does a decent job. I'm currently using Arm and Hammer laundry booster, and it seems just as good as oxy clean. This is how I wash shop rags.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast