RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit in the garden

Boolit Master
    I wonder if flee and tick ridden bandicoots would do as a Substitute?

They sorta look the same in the headlights. Sometimes.

Nahhh probably not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    We used to hunt “swamp rabbits” along the Pedernales river near Fredericksburg. When I was a kid, I thought it was just a term our family used but turns out there really is such a bunny. They are quite a bit larger than cottontails and 2-3 made a real meal for several people.
    I think that one attacked Jimmy Carter once!

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations on the "wabbit hunt"! Even if it took the 73 to nail it.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Nobade: Be thankful your rabbits are not as prolific as the European rabbit. Before biological intervention - myxomatosis and calicivirus - introduced rabbits had taken over many parts of Australia, turning the landscape into bare eroded near deserts, and contributing to the extinction of marsupials and birds dependent on those landscapes. Control efforts included poisoning, shooting, dogging, ripping up burrows, but mostly fencing. In some of the country, landholders were required to have rabbit proof boundary fences. In other places, control was paddock by paddock - fence in an area and then clean out the rabbits inside the fence.

My father was involved in one such "cleaning out". A friend had fenced in an area of good country. It was heavy soil, so the rabbits chose to live in hollow logs and under dense brush rather than burrow as they would in the sand country. The cover was all burned off to expose the rabbits, and a group of shooters assembled, with shotguns of course. A long line of men (and women - including my Aunt) started at one end of the paddock, across the narrower dimension, and walked the rabbits up, shooting as they went. A cart came behind them with spare ammunition, and to pick up the rabbits. Of course the shooters had to be careful about rabbits coming back through the line, though in the excitement there were some indiscretions. These, fortunately, were of limited consequence due to the distance between shooters. My father said the guns got so hot that the shooters were hanging on to their guns with their felt hats. He was OK, since he had a M12 Winchester pump action.

In the event they shot 1200 rabbits and three men. Two of them shot each other. One, who was known to be a prickly character, copped some shot as a rabbit ran through the line. Awaiting the first reasonable excuse, he returned the compliment shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 04-03-2022 at 10:23 PM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Wow, that must have been something to see. Yes, I am glad the ones here don't behave that way. And we have enough coyotes around that they're not likely to get too far out of control.

I have met people who went there on rabbit shooting vacations. I suppose that's not something that happens any more but the stories of shooting hundreds of rabbits in a day sounded pretty amazing.

Boolit Master
    My Grandfather told me about hunting rabbits in central California around the turn of the last century.
    He said they were given ammo and were paid by the farmers to get rid of the rabbits both Cottontails and Jack Rabbits.
    There is a time every 7 to 11 years when the rabbit population explodes by the thousands.
    My brother has a picture somewhere of my grandfather sitting on a flatbed buckboard wagon overflowing with dead rabbits.
    He said they then took the dead rabbits into San Francisco and sold them to be made into dog food or Mexican foods.

Boolit Master
    I killed 17 one night on a rye field and thought I was a hotshot. Can’t imagine shooting 1200…oy ve.

I did clean all of them and our family ate rabbit stew for a couple of months.

Boolit Master
    When they had eaten everything and it was barren and the ground had turned a sort of dead grey dust you could see them 6-8 deep in the shade of a fence post or star picket surrounded by bits of fur and stinking dead carcasses..
    Just shoot ‘Em to put them out of their misery.
    They will eat gum leaves and smell of sort of between death and eucalyptus.

Used to be a very sad state of affairs sometimes..

Left that country and went Nth 40 years ago seeking fame and fortune.
    Found neither.
    Started out with bugga all and still have managed somehow to keep most of it.

I don’t even know if you can still eat ‘ em now with the calicivirus.

Hunting Cottontails and Jackrabbits on the High Plains at night, we would get so many that one got tired of killing them after awhile. The next day there were only a few carcasses lying around- the cleanup crew was well fed.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

In the US the dumb butts just release wolves everywhere. Kill everything.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Hunting Cottontails and Jackrabbits on the High Plains at night, we would get so many that one got tired of killing them after awhile. The next day there were only a few carcasses lying around- the cleanup crew was well fed.

Gosh I miss those days.

Boolit Master
    when a cat's ears are all the way back, WATCH OUT!!!! betta run YOU WASKELLEY WABBIT! as ELMER WOULD SAY!

Boolit Master
    I wonder does any one know- can a SNOW SHOE & A COTTEN TAIL mate? if so what would it be? as they are both rabbits.

Boolit Master
    Isn't that Splitting Hares there Toot ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    He is waskally though. He was out early this morning when I went out to pee but by the time I got the pistol he was long gone. I'm going to have to up my game.
    Wabbit is waskally, not stupid!

Bill

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I wonder does any one know- can a SNOW SHOE & A COTTEN TAIL mate? if so what would it be? as they are both rabbits.
    One is a rabbit (cottontail) and one is a hare (snowshoe hare)..........they are both Lagomorph's however and not rodents.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    Sounds like the story of the rabbit who washed his thing and couldn't do a hare with it.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Sounds like the story of the rabbit who washed his thing and couldn't do a hare with it.
    Delayed chuckle! Good one

Boolit Master
    Lags, touche, point taken!

Moderator Emeritus

The sadness of living in a village: One day summer last I was on my John Deere mowing, to see a rabbit run out of (fenced) garden front. As I drove closer, a 2nd ran out of right side, with a 3rd running out of back! I had two bean towers of pole beans -- nine plants on each -- and, when the rabbits were through we ended up with a total of ONE plant. Is it worth it for me to spend $70.00 to buy rabbit fence -- to harvest maybe $25.00 worth of pole beans? Instead, I'm thinking of using poultry netting (aka chicken wire) in a circle around each pole tower. Does anyone know if rabbit can/do chew through poultry netting?
    MOST sadly, any projectile discharge -- from sling shots up -- is most illegal in my municipality...
    geo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast