Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saeco mould set screw size?

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Another thing to note, Redding uses "Flat Point" set screws, not Cup Point.

We could probably start a Bubba Thread on the various hardware used on moulds purchased second hand.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master

As long as this thread is on topic concerning SAECO molds, it seems that over time they have not necessarily used consistent set screw methods. I haven't checked all 8 of my SAECO molds but those I have checked have presented a couple of different approaches to securing the sprue plate screw.

I got one down today(SAECO #428, 240 gr truncated cone) to cast some for the S&W 696. This is a 4 cavity mold which has the sprue plate rotating on a screw in a tapped hole that also has the handle screws entering from the bottom side. The set screw for the sprue plate screw enters from the end and, although not overly long, goes thru a deep hole to get to the sprue plate screw.

I haven't used the SAECO molds a lot but will in the future. The above mentioned mold casts like a dream. On every fill one or more bullets just fall from the mold. Those that don't only require a light tap to fall out. I will try out the others and, if they cast this well, the next mold I order will probably be an iron mold from Accurate Molds. I love my brass and aluminum molds(Lee maybe a little less) but they don't cast like this SAECO did today.

EDIT; BTW the sprue plate screw is 10-32.
    John
    W.TN