RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Brazilian Mauser 1908

Boolit Mold

Brazilian Mauser 1908

Ive been trying to work up a jacketed load for my all matching mint bore Mauser Mod. 1908 "Brazilian."
    Id like to have the ballistics of the load match the sights as closely as possible. As far as i know there were three military loadings for 7x57mm. The original 1893 load which is a 175gr round nose bullet going about 2200-2300fps, a 1913 loading using a 139gr flat base spitzer, and a 162gr BT load adopted sometime in the 40s or 50s. As far as I can surmise my rifle sights should be calculated for the 175gr load seeing as how the rifle was manufactured and taken possession of before the spitzer load was developed, and the blueing around the sight base and barrel appear to be original; deep perfect rust blue.
    The weird thing is that so far all the 175gr loads Ive shot were hitting like 6 inches low at 100y. With a 300m battle setting. Could anybody give me their opinions?

I have one. Mine was cut down to a short rifle by the Brazilians--about the same length as a K98k, maybe an inch shorter. The work was likely completed by Bubba's Amazon Gunworks.

The first time I took it shooting it was right in the center of the bull. The next shot was centered but perhaps 1/2 inch higher. The remainder of the shots progressively went higher. After the magazine was empty I thought something looked different about the rifle, and it took a second or two to see that the stock was separating at the front band. Apparently whomever shortened it made the stock match the new barrel length by cutting it off just behind the front band, leaving the wood inside the band, cutting some off the fore end of the stock, and reattaching the front band by drilling a hole in both parts and connecting them with a dowel. The problem was, no glue was used, so the recoil from each shot moved the front band forward a bit on the dowel until a 2" gap appeared. After a liberal application of some AccraGlas gel everything tightened up and on the next outing the rifle proved to be very accurate. I did use 175 gr. handloads.

In your case, you not having stated otherwise, I assume that you are also shooting handloads. I was using jacketed bullets. Are you using cast lead? It sounds to me like you'll solve the problem by adjusting the powder charge and perhaps using a heavier bullet.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by TerkyJerky View Post
    The weird thing is that so far all the 175gr loads Ive shot were hitting like 6 inches low at 100y. With a 300m battle setting. Could anybody give me their opinions?
    the purpose of this battle setting is dispatch a standing human up to 300 meters without particular adjustments. aiming at the head or at the chest, in this case the man at 100 would have died anyway.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Mold
    "In your case, you not having stated otherwise, I assume that you are also shooting handloads. I was using jacketed bullets. Are you using cast lead? It sounds to me like you'll solve the problem by adjusting the powder charge and perhaps using a heavier bullet."
    Yes, im using 175gr jacketed bullets. Ive tried PPU 175gr FMJ BT and 175gr SP. Both shot very accurately, just far too low.

"the purpose of this battle setting is dispatch a standing human up to 300 meters without particular adjustments. aiming at the head or at the chest, in this case the man at 100 would have died anyway. "
    the problem with that is the POI should be like 4" high at 100y. If i tried to take a shot at 300m with the 300m setting, it would hit like 2' low

Banned
    i have a Brazilian....it doesn't like the Chinese scope mount.

"
    the problem with that is the POI should be like 4" high at 100y. If i tried to take a shot at 300m with the 300m setting, it would hit like 2' low
    if your ammo satisfies you but the rifle fires too low, then probably a lower front sight can be the answer, imho_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

I have an 1908 Brazilian Mauser that I bought as a barreled action in the white back in 1990. The barrel was a new military stepped barrel that was 18”. About 10 years ago a local gunsmith blued it and fitted it in a full length mannlicher style stock. With a vintage Redding aperture sight it is fairly accurate at 100 yards.

What is your load you are using with the 175 grain heads? A lot of those guns had their sights converted so they could be accurate with the later spitzer rounds. Also if you look at the threads here regarding 7mm, the diameter used here in USA is a bit smaller than the European spec round. You may have a few issues causing that to shoot low.
    Last edited by Eddie1971; 04-01-2022 at 06:36 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    What is your load you are using with the 175 grain heads? A lot of those guns had their sights converted so they could be accurate with the later spitzer rounds. Also if you look at the threads here regarding 7mm, the diameter used here in USA is a bit smaller than the European spec round. You may have a few issues causing that to shoot low.
    I dont have my data in front of me but i was using a PPU FMJ BT and enough IMR 4320 to reach 2300 feet per second
    And i have slugged the bore, but i dont remember the dimensions. I consistently get decent groups (2" handload is expected) but they are all so low.

Honestly I would try IMR 4350 With a head that heavy. It would would perfect with that long barrel

Banned
    I dont have my data in front of me but i was using a PPU FMJ BT and enough IMR 4320 to reach 2300 feet per second
    And i have slugged the bore, but i dont remember the dimensions. I consistently get decent groups (2" handload is expected) but they are all so low.
    IMR 4320 was a good powder, i used it in my 270 win. its a shame that Hodgen discontinued it.

Boolit Mold
    OK guys, I made it to the range this weekend and was able to bring the Brazilian with me. I fired 20 rounds of 7x57mm with 162gr boat tails on top of some IMR 4350. Best group was about 3 shots in an inch ignoring the fourth round being a flier. All of the shots were consistently 5-6 inches high at 100 yards.