RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Sts and peters blue hulls

Boolit Buddy

Sts and peters blue hulls

Anyone roll crimping Rem STS hulls or the PETERS BLUE hulls, not BLUE MAGIC??????
    My blue hulls just have Peters written on them.
    I cut the fold crimp from a few of each and tried to roll crimp. No success. Just flattened the top. Then the hull folded in below where the roll crimp started.
    If you have success with these let me know how you are doing it.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master

What type of roll crimper? What brand?

Boolit Master
    maybe your applying too much pressure. ive roll crimped a bunch of different brands that ive picked up at a public range using one of those antique hand crank rollers that screw clamps to a table. I will say that shells that were previously roll crimped come out much better than trying to roll ones that have fold indentations unless I cut the folds off and turn old 3" shells into 2 3/4"

Boolit Buddy
    I watched a you tube video by bloodtrail. He was demonstrating a four pin roll crimper. He stated it was purchased from the "THE RELOADERS NETWORK". So I ordered the four pin crimper from them. It's designed by Nick Ross.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master

James,
    I also had a frightful time with roll crimping at first, the Sticky on roll crimping helped a lot! I found that a tiny bit of lube like Vaseline helped, along with allowing the crimp tool to build up some heat before pushing down on the infeed. Keep at it, you'll work it out! Also, spindle RPM in the neighborhood of 250 worked out pretty good. Are you using a drill press?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks centershot for the reply.
    I started reading the sticky today, lots of info.. I'll probably have to read it a least twice because I'm sure I'll miss something.
    I'm using a bench drill press from harbor freight. Finally got it set and turned out some good 12 ga. roll crimps. Actually only crimped three.
    I tried out some Fed. 3" hulls without a base wad. Used an "imp" copper tubing cutter to remove then fold crimp then loaded and roll crimped. This ended up being the same finished length as 2 3/4" shells.
    I used a small amount of Rem. gun oil for lube.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master

James,
    You'll find a bunch of good info in that thread, both what worked and what didn't. Keep going, it'll come together!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Since it was included in the title I'll ask here; What if any, difference is there between the Peters Blue Magic hulls and the blue Peters hulls?

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    centershot, From all my research they are the same. I did a search and about 16-18 pgs. back in this form I found a thread you might like.
    Go to the Advanced Search Box at the top of the page and Type : Peters Blue Magic 12 ga. Hull.
    This should take you to the page where the thread is. It's down toward the bottom.
    Thanks for the reply,
    JAMES
    JAMESGR