RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of a Powder scale help please

Boolit Man

In need of a Powder scale help please

I need a powder scale... inexpensive of course. I have 'part' of a 505 I'm cleaning up, got the pdf instructions, but a new pan looks to be $25 and it may need more. I could do with a cheaper digital [$50? maybe]... ideas appreciated. Tks.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Powder-Medium...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    You can use one of those plastic ones. You just need to calibrate the scale.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

If it s an RCBS, you can return it or call for parts.

Boolit Bub
    PM me your address

Boolit Grand Master

The RCBS 5-0-5 is a good scale , worth a call to RCBS to see about parts ... they might just send them at little or no charge . Electronics are nice to play around with but the 5-0-5 is rock solid scale and won't tell you lies .
    I got a 5-0-5 to replace a 1967 Redding #1 ... and wish I had replaced it sooner...
    The 5-0-5 is Sweet !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man
    you people are awesome. I'm cleaning up the 505 and reading up on how to adjust and use it. All the parts except the 'scoop' appear to be there. Searching links about tuning and using it. PM sent. Thanks all.

I tried a Hornady digital scale and I have liked it.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

There are a lot of Castboolit threads regarding balance beam versus electronic scales to read. It seems to me that users favor balance beams for slower, more "accurate" measurements and electronic scales for faster and "close to the pin" measurements.

The parts of the 5-0-5 beam scale that work together to make it balance at zero, according to the RCBS instructions, show the "Large poise", "Middle poise", and "Small poise" set to zero; the "pan support assembly" (counterbalance) on its "end loop" (with suitable cautions); the "pan" in its place; and the "leveling foot" adjusted so the "beam pointer" reads zero on the "dial plate". That's a mouthful...

If you are missing, the "pan", one can be purchased or fashioned. You may need to add or remove some of the lead from the counterbalance if all the other parts check out OK.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Had to look at the pan I made from the concave bottom of a pop can; don't forget to leave a tab for a handle. Aluminum "bottles" may be heavier.

Boolit Man
    Alright. So make one from a can bottom, then another with a finger tab. Superglued a washer to it, and pieces of masking tape for a tad extra weight, and a bit with the leveling screw. Slow because I gotta check the pivot ends don't rub on the agate holder tabs... now I gotta make a little funnel. Tks

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use inexpensive Frankfort Arsenal pocket scales. Darned accurate. I calibrate them against several NIST traceable lab scales I own in my company and they are very accurate and repeatable.

Don't waste your money on expensive ones! It's all in the calibration and the weight standard you use to do it.

Remember the key to anything is repeatability. Something may be off just a bit, but if is ALWAYS off that same bit.................who cares.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Elvis Ammo did a comparison of the cheaper electronic scales. They were all different qualities and the more expensive ones weren’t the best. You might want to look for that video. However, its always good to have a beam scale around to check.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The RCBS 5-0-5 is a good scale , worth a call to RCBS to see about parts ... they might just send them at little or no charge . Electronics are nice to play around with but the 5-0-5 is rock solid scale and won't tell you lies .
    I got a 5-0-5 to replace a 1967 Redding #1 ... and wish I had replaced it sooner...
    The 5-0-5 is Sweet !
    Gary
    Exactly what I did. I enjoyed the Redding #1 immensely then it started sticking when I dropped the beam to the floor one day while cleaning it for no good reason. Switched to the 505 with magnetic dampening instead of oil dampening on the Redding. I like them both but like the 505 better. I have no faith in the electronic scales. They drift too much from temperature fluxuation as I warm the shop up as I reload. If you get a digital, make sure you have check weights and/or a mechanical scale to compare it against.

Boolit Master
    I had a digital scale (not cheap) in less than a month a trip back. Worked O.K. for about 5 minutes. TRASH CAN
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Everyone loves their digital scale ... until it craps out. Beam scales only die due to physical damage and THAT is the user's fault.
    Magnetic damped balance beam powder scales are the way to go for longlife and repeatability. (I know of no oil/liquid damped powder scales made since the late 1960s; good riddance!)

Make your own powder pan, that's fine. But buy your powder funnel because they are more than just little funnels and you probably can't make one correctly in your home shop.

Boolit Man
    A most grateful thanks to 'blackriver' who generously sent me a real scale, a trimmer [I'll have to figure out using], a kool deburring tool, even some primers and a whole bunch of 'J's, just right for my 30-30 AI Handi rifle. There is a couple old jars [4895 and Reloader 7] I still have so looking forward to a little fun seeing how close together the holes can be. Taking it slow so I only have good tidings to post. Soon I hope. Be well. Again, thank you 'blackriver'. This forum is nice as I remember.

Boolit Master

I would suggest keeping the balance beam. I started with a Lyman D-7 back in the early 70's and still have it. My main scale for the past 40 years has been the Ohaus M-5, but your 505 will last through your grandchildren's life time and still be going strong. Get the correct parts to finish it and enjoy.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Exactly what I did. I enjoyed the Redding #1 immensely then it started sticking when I dropped the beam to the floor one day while cleaning it for no good reason. Switched to the 505 with magnetic dampening instead of oil dampening on the Redding. I like them both but like the 505 better. I have no faith in the electronic scales. They drift too much from temperature fluxuation as I warm the shop up as I reload. If you get a digital, make sure you have check weights and/or a mechanical scale to compare it against.
    RCBS Magnetic Dampening has got that Redding Open Oil Dampener beat Seven ways to Sunday and once around the block ! I reloaded for 35 years with the Redding and had no clue !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Electronic scales, in my opinion (nearly worthless) are unreliable for powder weighing.