Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a 41 mold in the 240-265gr for Blackhawk

Boolit Bub
    Betwixt the Altamont and Las Trampas in Northern CA

Suggest a 41 mold in the 240-265gr for Blackhawk

Hey all, I wanted to try some heavier boolits in my NM Blackhawk.
    Any suggestion for this?
    And any specifically good without gas checks at maybe 1000fps?
    I don’t need to set world records for speed.
    Just thinking 41 checks are scarce to source - but might invest in a checkmaker if any of you also have a suggestion there.

Currently have the Lee 195 and 210 TL molds, which I’ve cast and loaded but haven’t shot yet, so can’t give feedback on them (to help guide choice).
    Thx
    Pepe

Boolit Bub
    Not as heavy as you are looking for, but I've been considering this one: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/41-...-gc=plain-base

I have a NOE 411- 237 WFN and it shoots great in my blackhawk. To me, it seems more like a LFN, but it shoots great slow or fast. I also have an mp 411-265 that shoots very good in my blackhawk.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

I have one of the MP Trushot clones GC (413265) that drops a 270 solid and 260 gr hp's. The only load I have in my records for this bullet is a 19.6 gr of H110 @ 1320 fps - the comment WOW. Meaning that sucker do kick in a 4-5/8's BH. I had some lower loads but was working on it for my Henry and only chrono'ed this one because I wanted it for the rifle. Maybe now I need to try it with Trail Boss.
    Last edited by Minerat; 03-30-2022 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Fix
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Your best bet would be to check out the different mould makers and what they have available. They will have the moulds for the heavier slugs. Not much available on ebay. If .41 moulds do come available, they are usually
    for lighter slugs, i.e. 195, 210, 215, and 220 grain.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Bub
    Mineral, mine is the same barrel length as yours. Good grief that’s a thumper load you got going on! I have some H110 but am looking at probably loads using from TB on the low end to maybe Unique or 2400. If I lived where there were grizzlies, or get a Henry lever in 41 maybe I’d go for that! Please share how it shoots in your rifle though, nice to know what it can do.

Boolit Master

I run some heavies in my Ruger SBH Hunter today. Both pushed by 20 grains of Win. 296. One was the Ranch Dog 411-255, weighing 270 grains. The other is the old Ideal 412174, weighing 260 grains. This bullet was originally designed for the obsolete 40-75 cartridge. Shoots tight groups as well.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    You might look at the NOE 411-253 and call or email Al asking about a restocking date.
    It’s been a very good bullet with loads from mild to wild, and covers most anything you might want with a “heavy” 41 Mag short/moderate range option pretty well.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Moderator Emeritus

Pepe le PewPew,
    welcome to the forum.
    I have a couple of the Ranch Dog molds. Both are TLC411-255RF, but one is plain base, the other is GC style. The molds drop boolits in the 265 to 270 gr range as LittleJack says. Ranch Dog also made a batch labeled as TLC411-265RF. I include those part numbers, so you can search the web for used molds, as they are no longer made, to my knowledge. While these were designed for service in Leverguns, they shoot well out of revolvers also. Just so you know, these Ranch Dog Molds, were Custom ordered from Lee, using their 6 cavity mold blocks. Since they were custom ordered, expect to pay more than a typical used Lee mold.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    I run some heavies in my Ruger SBH Hunter today. Both pushed by 20 grains of Win. 296. One was the Ranch Dog 411-255, weighing 270 grains. The other is the old Ideal 412174, weighing 260 grains. This bullet was originally designed for the obsolete 40-75 cartridge. Shoots tight groups as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Everyone, thanks for the suggestions, and for the part numbers so I can search, research, and perhaps buy one of these. Years ago I used to be on the Marlin forum and remember many members ordering various ranch dog designs and being happy. I will also check out NOE, and I did see that Arsenal and MP have some options.

Boolit Master
    from time to time the Lee 240 grain .41 cal mold will show on ebay--- I have had two and they shoot well and cast good
    new shoot any thing live with 'em yet but will try -- I use them in DWA Have Vent 6" over 18 0r so gr of 296

Pepe,

Please share how it shoots in your rifle though, nice to know what it can do.
    Will do. Accuracy testing is on my plan for the next range visit along with some 335 gr 454 Casull with 25gr of H4227 and some 276 gr 44 mags. Want to load some Trail Boss load in all 3 and run then over the Labradar just for grins. Will do a little accuracy testing instead of just blasting to get speeds this time.

By the way welcome aboard.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    [QUOTE=Minerat;5381908]Pepe,

Will do. Accuracy testing is on my plan for the next range visit along with some 335 gr 454 Casull with 25gr of H4227 and some 276 gr 44 mags. Want to load some Trail Boss load in all 3 and run then over the Labradar just for grins. Will do a little accuracy testing instead of just blasting to get speeds this time.

Thx for the welcome! And interested how those big guys do with the doughnut powder, I have some I’ve never used in ANY thing, bought it on a whim years ago.

BTW, thought you’d think this was funny. I misread what you wrote at first and thought you said you were going to shoot those over your Labrador for grins. I thought “huh, this guy has a twisted side now don’t he?!”

Now that's funny, but the twisted part isn't too far off. In wish I had a Labrador but my wife likes her miniature Schnouzer to much to have a big dog.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    what is doughnut powder?

Boolit Bub
    Farmbif Trail Boss looks like fluffy doughnuts. Very unique looking powder and BULKY.

Boolit Grand Master

Pepe le pewpew ...
    Have you found / settled on a 41 magnum mould yet ?
    I discovered finding 41 magnum moulds was hard and now the ebay sellers think they are worth their weight in gold .

I'm a long time 41 magnum revolver fan / shooter , have several moulds but the heaviest is only 225 grain ( Lyman 410032) was just wondering what you found and how the heavy weights shot .

The last mould I ordered was NOE 413-215-WC PB which is a plain based wadcutter , only 215 gr. but is superbly accurate in my model 58 S&W revolver (my avatar) . A big hollow cavity gives it a wicked "manstopper" look . To date I have only tested/shot solid nose and love it !
    Keeps us in the loop .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-01-2022 at 01:17 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

In the last several years I've managed to pickup "heavy for caliber" molds in the Group Buy section of this very forum(265 grain .41 caliber mold)?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Bub
    GW, I still have T decided on a mold yet.
    SB, which group buy molds did you acquire, and is there one you prefer?
    I have obviously found certain molds available from Arsenal/Accurate/NOE/MP as well as 2nd hand ones. So not a shortage of quality constructed molds but of knowledge of what is accurate/flexible/easy to load with.

Boolit Man

I use a pair of NOE Keith SWC moulds, one HP and one not. Those are about 240 grains, and plain base. Both are good. HP is used a lot less than the 5 cavity, which makes me a month or more of bullets in short order.

I have a couple LBT moulds in 41, too. One is undersize for what I need, so Veral/LBT talked me through a simple mod to get more diameter. Works great and makes a super long nose 240 grain bullet, gas checked. LBT drop round bullets easier than any other mould, in my experiences.

Fit is king, don't fret the shape as much.
    Let's go Brandon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast