Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 431 44 Special

Taurus 431 44 Special

I saw these recently on the internet and was intrigued. I really like the idea of a 5 shot, light weight (but not air-weight), 3" barreled, big bore stainless revolver. I'd assumed these could handle skeeter loads, but really I I think mostly I would use 200 grain bullets at about 900 FPS, which is achievable within 44 special "category 1" specs. I suspect this is what the fixed sights are dialed in for anyway.

Anyone have one? Commentary on trigger, quality, accuracy? Heck if you want to sell it let me know!

I've had both the stainless .44 Taurus 431 and a stainless Charter Arms .44 BullDog Pug, & found out that they're essentially the same guns, except the Charter's made in the US, with excellent customer service.

The Taurus is made offshore, and they have long been notorious for poor/tardy customer service.

I never had any issues with either brand.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Mines a 441.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taurus 441.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	298332

I've put the Skeeter load through it, as well as my Charter Arms bulldog that I used to own. Not the most comfortable load to shoot in either one, but they can do it.

Someone before me smoothed up the action and trigger. It is probably the smoothest double action revolver I own. It probably took some careful work to get it there.

I haven't shot mine enough to comment on accuracy.

I mostly bought it to see if the quality of these revolvers was really as poor as some internet guru's maintain (plus I am a sucker for 44 specials....). I have been pleased with it the few times I have shot it.

Here it is compared to my S&W 24-3 and Ruger GP100 44 specials.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44 specials.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	298333

Boolit Master
    I have an older Charter Arms Bulldog, from back when the quality was considered good (or I just got lucky). It is not stainless but the bluing seems to offer enough rust protection for my needs.

I shoot a 215 gr cast lead bullet over 7 grs WW231 - recoil is completely manageable and accuracy is outstanding. It also patterns well with my home brewed snake loads.

Charter arms are a completely different design inside.

Every charter I've seen IRL has been a crude piece of work. I read of one guy who had one that said the barrel was so thin and roll mark applied so ignorantly that the roll mark was visible from INSIDE the barrel in the grooves. Taurus are just S&W knock offs. And every one I've seen is decently made. I really like shrouded ejector rods too.

Is there a range of Charters to look for that aren't junk? Am I off base with this assessment?

That size comparison is very instructive. The 431 is visibly neater and more compact. The GP is a pig. It's as big (or bigger) as the six-holed 24. I have a S&W 624 and that is too big for some carry around gun.

I own a 431 5-shot stainless. Acquired it back around 1993. No complaints at all.

DG

Careful with the word "Pig", you will hurt my guns feelings...... Besides, it shoots well and I like it.

If a 3" S&W 24 is too big to carry around, that Taurus really isn't much smaller or lighter. The Charter would be the only candidate in that case.

I bought my Charter Arms 44 in 2008. It was light, and smaller, had the shrouded ejector rod - but felt a bit crude to me. So I sent it down the road. But I've kept my eye out for one of the older blued ones with the exposed ejector rod. I want to give them another shot, hoping that the older ones might be a bit smoother, if for no other reason than through use.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a more recent Bulldog. It shoots well, has a decent trigger and seems reasonably well built. Did I mention it’s my carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    Did I mention it’s my carry gun.
    I didn't mean to "dis" the Charter Arms Bulldogs. Mine was 100% reliable, and even the Skeeter load wasn't too bad with the soft grips.

I wish Ruger would come out with an LCR in 44 Special or 45 ACP. I really like the triggers on my 38 and 327 mag LCR's that I own. I think the poly framed guns, with their light weight and good triggers would make a great carry gun in larger calibers. I admire the fact that Charter has come out with more big bore calibers in their snubby line. I have a scandium frame S&W revolver in 45 acp and one in 10mm. There is a lot to be said for a light weight compact revolver in a caliber that starts with 4.

Boolit Master
    My CA Bulldog was built in the late 70’s and has no cosmetic or mechanical issues. I’ve heard all the horror stories and am sure some have merit. Doesn’t look or feel like Colt but serves my purposes just fine - and only cost me a bit under $300. I often carry it because it shoots well and I’m not overly concerned about damage.

Boolit Master
    My BullDog is an exposed ejector model, had it since??? Late '80's
    I would Not give it up... Trust me, Back when I, and It, were younger, we took plenty of Abuse... still going Strong... Thank You
    I still try to buy US made... call me "Old School". Course... I still ride a Shovelhead, and if you don't know what that is... We can't be friends....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I own a 431 5-shot stainless. Acquired it back around 1993. No complaints at all.

DG
    Counterpoint:

I owned a 431 5-shot stainless. Acquired it back around 1998. Hammer was so sloppy on its pivot it chopped away at the frame at each shot.

Don't doubt another facsimile could provide good service but as always with Taurus it is hit-or-miss from one gun to another

The 431 seems about the same size as a charter, but with a thicker barrel, so I think it would weigh more. Charters are very light. Does Charter even honor a warranty on an older firearm? I understand the company has changed ownership and manufacturing location 3-4 times since its founding.

Boolit Buddy
    It is my understanding that the current Charter Arms will work on the older guns but do not warranty them. And parts are limited in some cases. I have 4 of the current manufactured guns (including a 44) and find them to be serviceable firearms especially considering the pricing levels. All are the SS models which are really light in comparison to other makes. And the warranty service is good to excellent.

Only have one Taurus, a steel 2.5" Judge w/ 3" barrel. Workman ship is OK, but I think the Charter Arms guns are better built. However, it does shoot fine and would put a world of hurt on anyone if you use the 410 OO buckshot loads on them. Three 0.33" pellets times 5 shots is a lot of holes.

Boolit Master
    Got off on a bad Foot... or Fit!!! on This Thread, but I love my old Charter Bulldog...and do Not need any assistance from the MFG..
    We have one Taurus here. It is a Model ??? 85 I think, stainless, 38SPL with what appears to be about a 3 or 3-2/2 inch barrel... but the end bit is Ported, so, Not really as long a Barrel as it seems. Anyway, Everyone in the fambly likes to shoot the thing... tho Not with +P, certainly.. The Throats were Very close to same at a Healthy .3585... so in general it gets .359 slugs. I have No Ill toward it, and would probably get another.. Unless a Charter was available as cheap and easy!!! Oh... and I prefer a Longer tube... But, That is yet another Story

Boolit Grand Master

I will never understand why people keep wanting to buy a 44 special, but then not be happy with 44 special.

My advice is to quit tip toeing around, buy a S&W model 69 and be done with it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I will never understand why people keep wanting to buy a 44 special, but then not be happy with 44 special.

I agree.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

Because the S&W Brand is Not the Do all and End All... there are Multitudes of others.. One of the best IMO will always be a Ruger Double Action 357, (you pick the Model) Converted... But, Again, Not the Only Game in Town..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Because the S&W Brand is Not the Do all and End All... there are Multitudes of others.. One of the best IMO will always be a Ruger Double Action 357, (you pick the Model) Converted... But, Again, Not the Only Game in Town..
    Your talking to a guy who owns 90% of Ruger's models. I'm not even a fan of S&W as a brand. The S&W model 69 is everything people keep praising all these 44 specials for, except it is a 44 magnum, so you don't have to do mental gymnastics to turn a cartridge into something it isn't. No drawbacks at all. I love the GP100, comes in 44 special even, but it won't handle what the OP wants, which is actually a 44 magnum.

Boolit Bub
    Compare retail prices between any Ruger from GP100 and up, you'll find most of the S&W's are less. And add in the trigger work a Ruger needs to get even close. Ask me how I know, I have several Rugers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast