Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Cast Boolits in 22 Centerfires

Cast Boolits in 22 Centerfires

After extensive testing of loads in my 22 centerfires, I still don't have a solution for a 'standard load. I have loaded 55gn RCBS cast boolits (PC'd and GC'd) in 218Bee (1:16"), 222Rem (1:14"), 223Rem (1:8"; 1in12"; 1in14") and 220 Swift (1in 12").

It seems to get any accuracy 1:12" ROT seems to be the pick, but only if the velocity is around 2,700fps (chronographed) Have any other experimenters found the same results?

223 Remington (10 shot group @100yds)
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    I would be ecstatic with a consistent group like that with cast bullets. Nice job!!!
    Don Verna

The only experience I have is in my 10" T/C in 22 Hornet , I'm running the Std 55 gr Lee which I think is identical to the RCBS or close . My barrel I believe is a 1:12 and the best load I found was 4.5 Gr of Unique lit by a WSP and its good for 1 1/2" groups at 100 . That's a book load from Lyman #4 cast book except for Lyman data had rifle primers which was more like buck shot than a group . I have a Super 14 223 barrel I've been aiming to try cast in , but it needs some new glass first . The group you post looks pretty good , I wouldn't be afraid to label a standard load .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Banned
    in my .223 I like 5.7 grain of Accurate # 5 behind Lymans cast bullet with Gas Check ending in 415. I shoot this in my 10 inch contender barrel. Fun load.

Wow, great results Bad A$$...I'm working with a Sako full mannlicher .222 Magnum and Lyman's 225415 gc & 225438 gc. With either, and water quenched WW alloy, annealed Hornady GC's and sized to 0.225", I get ~ 1-1/2" gps at 100 yds from rest for 5 shots. This with visually selected bullets, but not weighed. SR4759 & 2400 with charges between 9.0 and 9.5 grains do well for me. Best Regards, Rod

Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    Rod,
    What a beautiful rifle. I lusted over one like that decades ago and was too poor to get one.
    Don Verna