Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .45ACP loads for lighter springs.

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot them and see how it goes. Enjoy the time at the range. Don't over think this. It is supposed to be fun. If the 5.4 works good you can always load some lighter loads for the next trip. Nothing wrong with having an excuse to go shoot some more test loads

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    Shoot them and see how it goes. Enjoy the time at the range. Don't over think this. It is supposed to be fun. If the 5.4 works good you can always load some lighter loads for the next trip. Nothing wrong with having an excuse to go shoot some more test loads
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I'm enjoying it more than usual because at my indoor pistol section I have 24 hour access and it's only about 15 mins from home so when I go there immediately from working the night shift I'm the only one there usually, so it's really relaxing.

Boolit Buddy
    Went this morning and had some fun. Seems like 5.4 was the magic number right out of the gate. Had a couple jam ups after that . Think I'll stick to 5.4 and even perhaps load down like the last time to see how it does. Also the brass is still being flung pretty far. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220331_080342.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	298406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220331_082219_edit_223107046262831.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	298407

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    On that floor I’m guessing the brass is rolling pretty far after landing.

Boolit Buddy
    It may be rolling some but it actually lands that far away for the most part.

One has to remember that if they change spring weights in a semi auto their also changing the dynamics of what designing engineers(people far more knowledgeable than I) determined what works best in a particular handgun? So changer beware?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    If you have unusual case ejection, look at your extractor. Those sometimes need tuning for proper case ejection. They also have a limited life, so might as well get a second one and play!
    I’ve come across more complete information, but here’s something:
    https://m1911.org/technic2.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    One has to remember that if they change spring weights in a semi auto their also changing the dynamics of what designing engineers(people far more knowledgeable than I) determined what works best in a particular handgun? So changer beware?
    Steve
    The very reason I put the original springs back in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    If you have unusual case ejection, look at your extractor. Those sometimes need tuning for proper case ejection. They also have a limited life, so might as well get a second one and play!
    I’ve come across more complete information, but here’s something:
    https://m1911.org/technic2.htm
    The extractor is actually new. I replaced it when I changed out the springs. The " tuning " looks interesting.

Boolit Buddy
    The most accurate load for my wad gun is 3.8 WST under a 200 or 185 LSWC. Bullseye shooters swear by it. A 10-12 recoil spring will make sure it functions properly. Just under 2" groups at 50 yds. Bullseye and VV N310 powders are also premium choices. I don't know any competitors who use 231. Not that it's a bad powder or anything, just that there are better choices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The podcast is spewing horse pucky ... if the boolit is undercharged the boolit will not exit the barrel .
    A large pistol primer and no powder will shove the boolit into barrel throat . There will be no catastropic failure the case will not rupture with a powder charge that does not cycle the slide .
    Bring a range rod when dealing with low charges and check the barrel every shot to make danged sure the boolit has left the barrel .
    This info is from 40 years of shooting and reloading 1911 - 45 acp . 20 years NRA Bullseye Match Competition .
    Don't believe what the podcasters are saying ... it's just horse pucky to scare you .
    But ...make sure the barrel is clear , boolit stuck in barrel is real when working with powder puff light loads .
    Gary
    Detonation of a small charge in a large case is something that has been talked about as fact forever (probably because nobody wants to admit that they double charged a case) but has been dismissed as a urban myth by at least several reloading manuals I’ve read and they have tried in vain to duplicate this in the lab.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123