RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10-30 & 5-30 wright oil ?

10-30 & 5-30 wright oil ?

I have a 1998 Toyota PU , 4 cyl. It uses 10-30 wt oil. My 2003 Toyota car ( V-6 ) calls for 5-30 wt oil. Is there really that much difference? Can I run 10-30 in my later model 2003 Toyota. The PU has 44,000 original miles ( not driven much ), & the 2003 Toyota sedan has 105,000 miles. Both in excellent condition. I have had no problem getting synthetic oil, which has been all that I have used. Just in case oil gets hard to come by, is why I'm asking, from some one more informed on the subject than me.

Boolit Master
    Usually lighter weight oil is used in colder climates. Seeing you live in Montana, stick with the lighter weight in your car. Its what it calls for. The tolerances in the motor, set by the manufacturer, are also a factor. Some folks will say it doesn't matter, put whatever is available in it. I have been a believer in synthetic oil for a long time and use Mobil products. We had a family Suburban with the 5.3 go 250k with no leaks/issues, an SRX 275k no leaks/issues, etc. Use the weight the manual says to use according to the climate you in which you reside

With synthetic you can easily go to a lighter weight oil than what was suggested by the manufacturer. Why? Because it has higher film strength, and the thinner oil will give slightly higher mileage. That's the reason auto manufacturers suggested lighter synthetics, to boost fleet mileage. If you can find a 5w-20 you can use that too.

It's been years since I studied it. 15 years ago I could have given you a detailed answer, but it's gone from the grey matter. But what I gave you is the gist.

I'll take stab at accessing memory... The 5 is the way it acts at start up and the 30 (or 20) is the actual viscosity. I hope I got that right.

Synthetics are remarkable because they don't need to refine out the waxes that thicken in the cold. The base stocks are manufactured to be what the maker wants and they don't put waxes, part of what's in crude oil, into them. BTW, if your engines are in good condition the best oils are not what you find at the auto store. They're made by Amsoil. They will never take an OK sticker (can't remember the actual name, but it's a star emblem) because they exceed specs. An engine that uses oil shouldn't get Amsoil, but if your engine doesn't it's the best you can put in it.
    Last edited by BJK; 03-25-2022 at 11:39 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

Dealership told me the 5-30 was needed due to tight tolerances in the engine.

Boolit Grand Master

I would lay money your Toyota pickup manual says something along the lines of 10w30 above freezing temperatures, 5w30 in all climates.

5w30 has superseded 10w30 since at least the mid 80's. There's no good reason to use 10w30 anymore, and it is safe to use 5w30 instead.

Boolit Master
    I was at the NAPA a couple days ago after doing some repairs for the manager. Amsoil rack was right by the door. Bottom of the line oil was a little over $8/quart. Top shelf,literally, was $14.81/quart. Didn't look long enough to check for dust.

Boolit Master
    When SYNTHETIC oil is used, there is not much difference in cold weather starting, from 15W-40 to 0W-20. I used Amsoil many years before synthetics became easily available. I would run 5W-30 Synthetic in my gas engines without concern if I couldn't get the oil the manual suggests, or for simple convenience. Cold starting - below 0*F - is one of the major advantages of synthetics along with better mileage. I have run the numbers and the synthetics do pay for the extra cost in gas milage, engine wear, and cold starting ease. If your engine is not 'tight' they will find the leaks and end up on your garage floor. I have been told the 'thinner' oils do carry heat out of the engine better. Most of the synthetics at Walmart run about $5 a quart when you buy the 5 qt containers, 'regular' oils about 18 bucks for 5 qts. Based on my experience over about a million miles since 1986, in very cold winters, I'll go with the synthetics in the 'modern' vehicles (no oil leaks).

Boolit Master
    I bought a new 1998 Toyota Tacoma back in the day. It was spec’d for 5-30. I ran that in Mobil 1 for awhile, but moved it to 10-30, due to the Arizona heat. I ran that truck until it went over 300,000 trouble free miles in 2013. Currently running Mobil 1 0-20 in my Tundra. I’m sticking with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I run 5w-30 in most everything except my 04 Tundra (167K), in the Summer, then I usually go with 5w-40. My Duramax gets 5w-40 synthetic Rotella or Mobil 1. Tractors are usually 1/2 Rotella and half 15-40 dino oil (makes 50/50 blend syn/conv.)

Boolit Master

Amsoil is just one brand of synthetic oil. There are many reputable, quality synthetics. On our last two Toyota Avalons, I used Schaeffer's synthetic oil. It has a great reputation. I've seen quotes that said Mobil 1 was great in Toyota's. I don't know how they determined that but finally started using it in the second Avalon because Schaeffer's' was difficult to find. I had to buy it from a dealer in farm lubricants in Skullbone, TN(It was close to home).
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

If it's warm / hot weather and your car calls for 10W30 and all you can find is 5W30 ...just add a can of STP Synthetic Oil Treatment to beef-up the lighter weight oil ... it will add some extra protection with the lighter weight oil .

I'm an old school gear head (driver is 1968 Chevelle 327 v-8) and don't understand 0W16 & 0W20 motor oils ... 3-in-1 Oil ?
    Or maybe WD40 ?
    In August I'll run 20W50 + a can of STP at the drag strip !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-26-2022 at 05:18 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The definitive place for oil info:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The definitive place for oil info:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/
    That's where my information in post #10 came from.

Just google BITOG
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I was at the NAPA a couple days ago after doing some repairs for the manager. Amsoil rack was right by the door. Bottom of the line oil was a little over $8/quart. Top shelf,literally, was $14.81/quart. Didn't look long enough to check for dust.
    I bought Mobil 1= 10w30 yesterday at $7.99 per quart and Kawasaki 10w40 for $6.99 and 10w30 Pennzoil for 3.99. Oil filters were higher than normal. The wrong oil and filter can make lifters peck on a cold start.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 03-27-2022 at 12:02 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Toyota spec's 5W30 for my 05 Matrix (1.8 ltr)
    Toyota spec's 0w20 or 5w20 for my 08 Rav4 (2.4 ltr)...BUT they say 0w20 is best for most situations.

I follow what the manufacturer specs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    My 2001 Chevy truck with 68,00 miles calls for 5w-30. I've been using 10w-30 in it for MOST of those miles. NO problem

For what it's worth, I use 15w-40 in my old tractors, and have seriously considered using the same in the Chevy truck. I do know people who run the 15w-40 in everything they own with no issues.

Personally, I think the 5w-30 is just too thin and doesn't provide enough protection.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I just bought 2 jugs of Valvoline high mileage partial syn for less than $18 each at walmart. The Valvoline ranked near the top of oils in testing for protection. All i use now.

The oil weight depends on temp. Id agree with others here that part or full synthetic 5w30 would be the way to go. 5w30 fossil would be my choice unless i lived in the desert during the summer and did heavy towing then maybe 10w30 but probably still not
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

All you ever wanted to know about oil and his ratings on various oils and their ability to prevent wear. You need to scroll a long way down to get to the ratings part but there is some very interesting reading on the way. Basically you want the thinnest high quality oil that will allow you to maintain the proper oil pressure. The most wear happens to your engine on start up, thinner oils get to parts quicker.
    https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

The 2017 Avalon specs 6.4 qt of 0W-20. Toyota also recommends Toyota Genuine Motor Oil(TGMO on the site linked above). It does have a great reputation. The 2013 Tundra specs 7.9 qt pf 0W-20. I'm guessing that most will just put 8 qts in. The dealer probably sets the pump for 7.9. I'm guessing that the increased crankcase capacity has more to do with engine durability than small variations in oil specs. Two gallons of oil is a lot to be splashing around down there, especially when most pickups are driven like cars. Mine too.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

I am sure loving these motor oil threads. Everyone has such differing opinions.
    alamogunr mentions capacity...
    My Toyota Matrix had a manufacturer "bulletin" come out after the engine sludge buildup scandal that Toyota had about 15 years ago. They changed the oil capacity of my car, increased it by 1/2qt (was 3.9qt and now it's 4.4qt). They even offered Matrix 1.8 Ltr engine owners a new dip stick with higher marking. That increased capacity was suppose to eliminate the sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    The 2017 Avalon specs 6.4 qt of 0W-20. Toyota also recommends Toyota Genuine Motor Oil(TGMO on the site linked above). It does have a great reputation. The 2013 Tundra specs 7.9 qt pf 0W-20. I'm guessing that most will just put 8 qts in. The dealer probably sets the pump for 7.9. I'm guessing that the increased crankcase capacity has more to do with engine durability than small variations in oil specs. Two gallons of oil is a lot to be splashing around down there, especially when most pickups are driven like cars. Mine too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast