Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'll bet i don't do this again

Boolit Master
    WD40 works well, I use the GOOP Hand Cleaner. You can put on everything without concern for damage, leave for a day or so, wipe off. Of course, after all the sticky stuff is gone, a good detailed cleaning should be done.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    WD-40 is a great bug spray for hornets/wasps/yellowjackets. Wait till they go into the nest after sundown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what transformation the adhesive of old duct tape goes through but it turns into some solid material that even Goo-B-Gone has trouble getting off .
    I've tried Mineral spirits , acetone and Ed's Red Solvent ... and nothing easily removes it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

For blued steel only; Berryman's B12 carb cleaner will clean it. Wear gloves and glasses. As stated, I'd use WD-40 on the stock and anodized parts.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Home Depot sells this stuff - I'd never use it as an air freshener, it leaves a wet, oily residue. But it's GREAT for removing adhesives residues! When I worked for Home Depot, that's what we used for cleaning the price label residues off of the beams in the merchandise bays.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	607fab8f-d39f-4958-8448-665c8c84452a_2.16ca638180522b6f26869a5345dba54e.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	298239

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I like WD-40.

It also takes the idiot-stickers of motorcycle gas tanks,..."Use only gasoline, Not water."........"Must be 10 years old to ride"....."Organ-donor machine!"..."No Step."
    "Use only gasoline-not water"! That's a hoot. Almost as silly as the warning that came with the battery and acid for my 4 wheeler. The pack of acid said "not for human consumption" ! Who ever thought these things up must be kin to the guys that decided to put symbols on auto dashboard gages instead of spelling what they do.

Big thanks to all who gave tips on reclaiming a boo boo.

rondog, does that Pure Citrus take paint off with it? I have a friend who strips S&W revolver stocks and citrus it what he uses to get the old finish off.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Surprised nobody mentioned Hoppes #9 for taking tape residue off. Works good.

Boolit Master
    "Use only gasoline-not water"! That's a hoot. Almost as silly as the warning that came with the battery and acid for my 4 wheeler. The pack of acid said "not for human consumption" ! Who ever thought these things up must be kin to the guys that decided to put symbols on auto dashboard gages instead of spelling what they do.

After long consideration, I came to the conclusion that symbols on road signs and as mentioned above were put there to allow second language folks to survive. I have also come to the conclusion that the world would be a better place if those stupid warnings on labels were left off to allow Darwin to function as intended!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

The safest suggestions by far are WD-40 and mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is my go-to for removing adhesive residue because there is very little that it will damage but WD-40 works very well; I just don’t keep it on hand all the time.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

another vote for WD-40

jd

Boolit Master
    Well done murf, looks great! Like ghosthawk, I have a firearm, a 788 222Rem, I taped-up maybe 30 years ago, used masking tape (light camo spray paint over it). I am sure the "stickness" is long gone from the adhesive...not sure if that will make it easier or harder to remove....just keep avoiding finding out what has happened under that tape. I need to get after it and then try some cast in her.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Rondog, does that Pure Citrus take paint off with it? I have a friend who strips S&W revolver stocks and citrus it what he uses to get the old finish off.
    I couldn't tell ya, I've never used it on anything painted. Some paints are tough as steel, and some are real sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Well done murf, looks great! Like ghosthawk, I have a firearm, a 788 222Rem, I taped-up maybe 30 years ago, used masking tape (light camo spray paint over it). I am sure the "stickness" is long gone from the adhesive...not sure if that will make it easier or harder to remove....just keep avoiding finding out what has happened under that tape. I need to get after it and then try some cast in her.
    I will assure you that the "stickyness" was not gone from the mess I had on this shotgun. I had to use pliers to get a hold of a piece of tape and pull HARD! This was after had sprayed the 1st blast of brake cleaner on it. I am fortunate that I didn't damage the gun. With what I learned from this thread, I would use WD-40 or mineral spirits now.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12