RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll bet i don't do this again

I'll bet i don't do this again

When I was a dedicated varmint /turkey hunter I put camo tape on my 11-87 Remington. That was about 10 of 12 yrs ago and yesterday I decided to remove it, yeah, right! It took the better part of 4 hrs to get this mess off the gun and it is a wonder that the finish stayed intact. It is certainly true that the Lord looks out for fools and children! This was done before I started using my dull finish 870 Express which patterns better anyway. This is the most sticky stuff I have ever seen.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Go after it with some mineral spirits and a shop rag.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Or goof ff , goo- gone

Vendor Sponsor

Easy off oven cleaner if it's been anodized. Put in a bag and spray it, let sit until clean.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I had a couple of these sticky messes come into the shop before! My opinion: strip the action down all the way, put it in a bath of mineral spirits, come back a day later, wash it with a rag till said sticky mess is all gone, blow it off till dry, re-oil it, reassemble, Done! And your shotgun will be clean. Wipe the stock with mineral spirits till clean, hopefully the finish won’t come off! Good luck to ya!

That solvent should take care of your problem.
    Last edited by Budzilla 19; 03-25-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

With a lot of the suggestions, you are getting you will be removing more than just the tape residue.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    With a lot of the suggestions, you are getting you will be removing more than just the tape residue.
    Be prepared for a refinish, Maybe new blue.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

WD-40 will get rid of that nicely

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    Be prepared for a refinish, Maybe new blue.
    You maybe right. I thought I would post this boo boo anyway so someone else would think twice before applying this stuff on their gun.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

WD-40 should remove the sticky but not the finish on the shotgun. I've had to use it when removing a comb pad off of an 870 Wingmaster. No indication it was ever there.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    ^^^^^^^^ WD-40 works great for sticker stuff, that and one other thing it's good for. It makes a really good bug killer with the red tube installed and a Bic lighter, nice mini flame thrower. That's it, that's about all it's good for!

Boolit Master
    I've found rubbing alcohol to work very good when removing the sticky residue from bumper stickers, etc.

Boolit Master

goof off or wd40

Boolit Master
    For others who might be thinking about doing something like this, they now make camo tape for guns that's like Vetrap, which sticks to itself but not other surfaces. No glues involved. It doesn't last as long as sticky tape, as it loses it's stretchy-ness it will come loose, but it doesn't leave a mess behind.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FJ32N4...36D886QA0WM4BJ

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had to clean a stick on pad from a shotgun many years ago. WD-40 was the primary chemical used. It did not mess up the finish on the stock either.

An acquaintance put some camo tape on a shotgun and after several years he had a rusty mess (KY).

After that I vowed never to use any type of tape on a gun except as a temporary means of marking positions for working on them.

Boolit Master

Mineral spirits then xylene /goof off. Acetone will work but evaporates too quickly, maybe a final wipe down. Be careful of saturating checkering and breaks/deep scratches through the finish. The solvent may expand the wood and break the bond of the finish in the area adjacent to the scratch.

Be mindful of the flammability and inhalation/absorption through your skin. This is best performed outside.

I must have anticipated this debacle when I taped the gun because I put electrical tape over the checkering. Believe me, this will not happen again and if any of you are contemplating camoing a gun, use the stuff ryanmattes recommended.Attachment 298199Attachment 298200 Walmart spray brake cleaner got it off but only after I tried it out on a very small and inconspicuous place. I didn't have any WD-40 but that advice is a good one-maybe all it is good for.

I have a Rem 870 special trap in 12 ga that I camo taped 40 years ago for goose hunting. I've looked at it a half a dozen times in the last years since I retired. As I have the time to put it right. But I keep putting it off.

The stuff I used suggested a well oiled gun and a good spray of WD-40 prior to taping.

Going to be interesting If I ever find the nerve to start peeling.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I must have anticipated this debacle when I taped the gun because I put electrical tape over the checkering. Believe me, this will not happen again and if any of you are contemplating camoing a gun, use the stuff ryanmattes recommended.Attachment 298199Attachment 298200 Walmart spray brake cleaner got it off but only after I tried it out on a very small and inconspicuous place. I didn't have any WD-40 but that advice is a good one-maybe all it is good for.
    Looks like a totally different gun.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I like WD-40.

It also takes the idiot-stickers of motorcycle gas tanks,..."Use only gasoline, Not water."........"Must be 10 years old to ride"....."Organ-donor machine!"..."No Step."
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast