MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best option for .44 mag?

Best option for .44 mag?

With current prices being what they are, what are my best options for a reasonable priced, reliable, "good" .44? I'd really like another JM but can not afford what people are asking for them. Henry "Skinner" is my current most likely candidate.

The local pawn shop had a marlin 1894with scope in 44 last I heard. My buddy tried to get them down with no result.

I still have my mid-70’s Marlin 1894. In the early 80’s I had a B-92 44 mag. Browning. Didn’t like the kick from the metal curved metal butt plate and was only shooting full loads back then so sold it. That would have been easily fixed with a lace on leather butt pad. And, now of course I seldom shoot full power loads anymore. Just my .02 to not count out the Jap. Win 92.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Henry all the way. Good products from a good company. The current Rossi rifles seem to do well but they aren't cheap anymore. Miroku Winchesters are well over a grand if you can even find one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    A buddy and myself just bought two Rossi 92, 24 inch. Shot them a little and took them to my cowboy smith for a little smoothing and trigger work. Paid 800 ish and another 100 to the smith. Smith said he was impressed at how well they were put together and fitted from the factory. Not at all like older ones he has seen. Same thing on the 357.
    I shoot a lot of 44 spl. handguns and they feed and function fine in the Mag. Both guns will chamber .432 swc in mag brass crimped in the groove. The 24 inch oct. barrel is a heavy gun for off hand work. If I were to buy another new gun and it was offered by Rossi I would certainly do so. I would opt for the 20 inch round barrel if just plinking or hunting. I think Elk Ammo and Arms are still in the $800 range last time I checked.
    Tony
    Edit-just checked at Elk, only thing in stock in wood is a 16 inch for $799. If you are interested just keep watching their site they come and go pretty regular.
    Last edited by ABJ; 03-25-2022 at 04:24 PM.

If $800-1000 is what you have for a new Rossi or Henry, I would bite the bullet for a JM or wait for a Ruger.

I love the Rossi 92s and made three very nice rifles with them back when they sold for under $600. For my purposes, they are better than the Browning 92 I always worry about scratching - no such concern with the Rossis. I like them better than the Henry because of their light weight, but would likely buy the Henry at current prices.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

The least expensive are the single shots. However everything has gone up in price. I do most of my upper deer hunting with a single shot .45 colt or a ss .44 mag. A .35 Rem Marlin gets to go a few times, i never put more than 2 in it, as it is accurate. Henry makes a very nice .44 single shot, but i am not sure what they go for $ wise.

Quote Originally Posted by upr45 View Post
    The least expensive are the single shots. However everything has gone up in price. I do most of my upper deer hunting with a single shot .45 colt or a ss .44 mag. A .35 Rem Marlin gets to go a few times, i never put more than 2 in it, as it is accurate. Henry makes a very nice .44 single shot, but i am not sure what they go for $ wise.
    The Henry SS's run around a grand when you can find them.
    They are a little heavy at 7.14 lbs, myself unless I was looking to scope said rifle.
    I'd pick the Rossi, I own 2 Rossis, and a pair of CF Henrys.

RP
    Last edited by Pereira; 03-26-2022 at 09:18 AM.

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Mold
    I really like my Henry .44 with a Skinner peep but I don’t know that I’ll hunt with it much as I tend to be “belt and suspenders” guy wanting a good scoped rifle when I’m in a tree.

I see CVA makes a single shot .44 as well. The specs I’ve seen say 7lbs.

I have one of the CVA pistols in .243 and it is heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have 2 Henry Big Boy's, a .44 mag and a .357 Mag, and they are quality rifles. I did change the iron sights to Skinner's peep's and they are perfect.

The rear Marble's sight is not my preference, and the factory front sight bead is so big,.... it is would cover a hog's head @ 50 yards.

The Skinner peep sights with their front-post sight are perfect for my shooting.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by UKFan37 View Post
    With current prices being what they are, what are my best options for a reasonable priced, reliable, "good" .44? I'd really like another JM but can not afford what people are asking for them. Henry "Skinner" is my current most likely candidate.
    Welcome to the board

Please check your private messages - I ran across one F/S @ very inexpensive, cost
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Ive got a Henry Big Boy and it's a nice rifle. Changed to Skinner peep sights and it shoots well with j words. I'm just starting to try and develop cast loads. Going to the range tomorrow to test some pressure / leading loads with a 240 gr GC and a 200 RFN plain base which I'm trying PB and with GC. Going to see if I can develop a load with Maxam CSB-1 using Universal data since I've got 8 lbs of it.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 03-28-2022 at 09:28 PM.

Love my Rossi's! I have four, one in .45 Colt and three in .357mag.

The .45 -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0022.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	298243

The .357's -

Name:	20180813_100808-1992x1494.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	298244

And you wanna talk heavy? This 30" Cimarron '73 in .45C is HEAVY! But she's beautiful.

Name:	20200314_083954-800x600.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	298245

I had a Henry BB in .41 Mag, always wanted a rifle in .41 Mag. I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. It couldn’t shoot better than my S&W 57’s at the same distances. The weight of the rifle is significant over Win/Miroku or the Italian guns I just can’t warm up to the Henry rifles,chunky,heavy are not qualities I desire in a lever gun. Still plenty of 94’s from Marlin and Winchester to go after for the same money.

Moderator Emeritus

If you like your JM Marlins, then I would suggest at least holding a Henry. I have a few JM's including the 44 and TO ME there is no comparison. I do have two Henry's but they are in 22's, pump and lever both new. No comparison to my Marlin and not because they are new. Shawlerbrook gave you good advice. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

Well we have a Henry 41. Bought it the first year it came out. Shoots very well ( better than our Marlin) and cycles every cast I have cast for it. Our Marlin CCL would only cycle RN !
    Plus we have not done any lifter modifications, forearm work, hanger bracket, or chamfer the chamber mouth like the Marlin needed.
    My first centerfire was a 336 in 32 Win Special and to me it was special. Worked great ! Shot fine. Was made about 1955.
    But that 41 CCL was like the other end on the pendulum swing.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 03-27-2022 at 08:46 AM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

For all its worth get a UGLY Rusty 44 Mag Rossi and rebarrel it to 41 Mag. You will end up with a real easy to carry, light and cheap 41 Mag carbine.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Thanks for all the replies!
    I have a Skinner Henry i'm watching on 'broker, if that doesn't work out i'll suck it up find a Marlin.

Moderator Emeritus

I would look for a new production Henry (post 2020), because that's when they switched to 1:20 twist barrels.
    Older Henry's and all Marlins have 1:38 twist, most people find that the slow twist just doesn't cut it, especially with boolits heavier than 240gr.
    That's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast