MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Walther P-1 Mold / What do you use ?

Boolit Buddy

Walther P-1 Mold / What do you use ?

If you shoot a P-1 9mm, what mold have you found to work best in a P-1? TC or RN ? No defense carry, but want to shoot paper,cans,etc.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Not owning a Walther, I cannot state for a fact that I know which is preferable. But I do have 11 9mm Handguns ranging from a 1938 Mauser Luger to a 2021 Kimber Micro 9. And I have never read of any quirks associated with reloading for the P-38/P-1 pistols.

In 9mm's in general, I have two favorites: The NOE copy of the LEE 356-120TC and the Lyman 358-242, 122 grn. (also called 356-242) RN. IME, they are equally reliable and as accurate as most 9mm ammo that you can buy. I use 3.7 grains of Titegroup or 3.9 gains of WW-231 with either, loaded to a COAL of 1.065.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-24-2022 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add weight of lyman boolit
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

The original 9mm Parabellum ammunition specified for the P-08 Luger was loaded with a 124 gr J-boolit that featured a long parabolic profile. The same ammunition was specified for the Walther P-38, and although I never cast for my P-38 handloads, I always bought 124 gr cast or plated cast boolits with that same long parabola form and never had a problem. Not. Once. That goes for my BHPs, SIG P210A Standard, P225/P6, P226, P228, s, a DW 1911, several Glock 17s and 19s, and a few classic S&W autos.

Boolit profile similar to that of this rounds:

HTH,

Noah

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot a 1942 Walther P-38 ... it prefers Truncated Cone ...it likes the following , all sized to .357"- 50/50 COWW-soft lead , air cooled .

1). Lee 358-105-SWC (more TC than SWC nose) the light boolit over 4.7 grs. Unique shoots to the pistols fixed sights . Light recoiling , good for paper targets and tin cans , accurate pleasant shooting load .

2.) Lee 356-120-TC . Plain base, truncated cone , boolit good for mid range velocities , say below 1,000 fps ...nice little boolit feeds fine and accurate .

3.) NOE 358-124-TC-GC . Gas Check , truncated cone boolit , the gas check allows higher velocities 1,000 - 1,200 fps loads with no leading. softish alloy and GC helps with proper seating . 124 gr. wt. & TC nose was the original 9mm Luger design ... I like this one too .

I have tried RN design , I personally like the original truncated cone design or the Lee 358-105-SWC which is more TC than SWC .
    Just never did like RN boolits but my P-38 will feed them Okay and feeds TC just as well .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-24-2022 at 04:03 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Surprisingly, the actual original 9mm Para service bullet was a truncated cone of 124 grains of so. Entering service in Germany in 1908, it was replaced in 1911 by the RN as there was some thought that the TC might be considered a violation of international conventions at the time. What the developmental loadings were prior to adoption I am not sure.
    Last edited by Drydock; 03-25-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Both my P1 and P38 shoot great with a Lee 356-124 truncated cone, which I then PC using Smoke's clear. The truncated cone feeds very nicely in the P1/P38 types.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I've tried many cast bullet designs in the 9mm; most accurate so far is cast from an obsolete Lyman .38 Special mould (#358212), a 150 grain round nose sized to .358". It shoots very well in several pistols including the P4 version of the P38. I use Bullseye powder but HS-6 does pretty well, too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I've tried many cast bullet designs in the 9mm; most accurate so far is cast from an obsolete Lyman .38 Special mould (#358212), a 150 grain round nose sized to .358". It shoots very well in several pistols including the P4 version of the P38. I use Bullseye powder but HS-6 does pretty well, too.
    I also have used that 150 groin boolit-- but while it works well in my Taurus 9mm it does not work very well in my P1. 0.358 jams in my mags and they don't feed very good.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I also have used that 150 groin boolit-- but while it works well in my Taurus 9mm it does not work very well in my P1. 0.358 jams in my mags and they don't feed very good.
    I don't know what would cause that and I suppose you have already tried varying the seating depth. I use this bullet sized to .358" (or maybe a hair larger) in three 9mm pistols, the Walther, a Beretta, and a 226 Sig. I don't recall it not working perfectly in feeding or chambering. Good luck-

Boolit Master

I have several post war Walther P38 barrels, and all of them measure about .3575" groove diameter. They Lead like mad with a bullet any shorter than that. What I have liked most in recent years is the Lee 358 125 RF. The chambers and throats cause no trouble with that bullet. I have the same issue with groove diameter in the Beretta 92.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee #356-125-RN in P-4, P-1 & P-38.
    Functions perfectly.
    Growing up We used the Lyman #356242 & #356402.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life