Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield SA-35/Hi-Power

Springfield SA-35/Hi-Power

Anybody get one of these yet? Thoughts? Seem pretty neat and reasonably priced.

Moderator Emeritus

From what I have seen on line and heard from others selling price is about 2x listed retail.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Yes.
    I got an early one and did a thread on here comparing it to my Browning Hi Power.
    Upshot is the barrel to slide fit at the muzzle of mine was VERY loose.
    For a defensive gun, probably doesn’t matter but it bugs me.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    It's in my plans, not gonna happen soon though.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Read in a gun magazine (take that for what it is worth) that they are 80% Tisas imported and finished here so SA can stamp their name on it. Springfield has been shady in my mind since they started so I will pass on this one unless I find it for the price of the Turkish gun which I think it is.

The Tisas story makes sense to me given how quick SA got onto this project as well as the timing with Tisas coming out with their version.

What gun magazine was this?

I called Springfield and asked them, "I know these are advertised as made in USA, which I assume means assembled in here...where are the forgings for the slide and frame produced?"

Lady at Springfield customer service: "the forgings for the slide and frame are both also produced in the USA by a manufacturer we are not allowed to disclose."

Me: "so some of the parts are imported?"

Lady: "yes, but not the slides for frames, and many of the small parts are made in the USA as well." (I neglected to ask who made the barrel).

I had trouble believing this, so I called back about a week later and asked to speak to a technical person, had to leave a number to call me back.

He called back and said that "Springfield has not used any imported frames or slides on any of our 1911s in at least 5 years and the SA-35 uses forgings produced in the USA."

So either Springfield is lying, or this unidentified gun rag is.

Looking at the Turkish produced Hi-Powers clearly the frame is not shaped the same way. There are significant differences in how the SA-35 frame is shaped, particularly at the rear of the frame, that are evident from photos.

"Upshot is the barrel to slide fit at the muzzle of mine was VERY loose."

This is indeed disappointing. I want one of these pretty badly, as a proper Hi-Power has never been made domestically to my knowledge. My father carried a Belgain produced Hi-Power rather than a "rattle trap forty-five" as he called them. And they have always been a neater, lighter pistol than the 1911. But the mag disconnect, poor ergonomics with safety and hammer bite, and high prices of quality models kept me away. I was once tempted to get a FEG (which are hungarian if I recally) but declined. I have a CZ75 presently, and she's a bit overwheight, and I always carry cocked/locked anyway.

My hope is that that Sprinfield will introduce a stainless or parkerized model.

Boolit Master

I measured the barrel/slide fit on one that I assume is from the latest production run. Barrel outside diameter is 0.499 inch and slide opening at the muzzle is 0.508 inch. The trigger pull is nothing to write home about either; the pull weight is fine, but it has three distinct stages before it finally gives a crisp break. I must admit, it does feel good in my hand.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Another alternative is a FEG P9R (or Israeli Kareen). They can be found on the used market. Thus far, all parts have been interchangeable with my Browning and Argentine HPs.

Boolit Buddy
    I got my SA-35 about a month ago. It's the least accurate pistol I have ever owned. At 25 yards, it will put six to eight bullets in a three inch pattern and the rest will hit five to eight inches away.

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago we bought a Springfield P-9 as it is a .40 SW. Was an ILL-ois state police trial pistol. There were 5 that came in and I got to pick. 2 mags and hardly a scuff. Still have it. As close to a P-35 as we have come.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
    I got my SA-35 about a month ago. It's the least accurate pistol I have ever owned. At 25 yards, it will put six to eight bullets in a three inch pattern and the rest will hit five to eight inches away.
    I had a Belgian Hi-Power that was nice to carry and had a decent trigger but it shot 3-4” groups at 25 yds. I got rid of it because my 1911 yielded 2” groups at the same distance. The SA-35 looks pretty cool but I don’t need another 9mm shotgun.

Boolit Master

I couldn't find a SA-35 anywhere for a price that was anywhere near retail, so after researching the Browning HP/Sa-35 "platform", I found a lot of info on the CZ-75 pistol.

Bought a new CZ-75B and I am very happy! Great price, easy to find. I like the way the CZ-75B fits in my hand,.... just feels "natural."

(Along the way, in my search for a CZ-75, I found a used, like-new, CZ Shadow 2. The dealer offered me a "deal I couldn't refuse..", and I bought it also.)
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Similar story here, Mr Hickok. A few years ago, I was ready to buy an original Hipower, but the seller backed out. So I bought a CZ-75B instead. Glad it worked out that way. Great gun at almost half the price. Not a bit sorry.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree that a CZ-75 is hard to beat. HP's have a classic look and feel, but so does the CZ. The palm swell grips do add a nice feel in the hand. The option of a compact model is a plus.

Boolit Buddy

I have both, a Browning HI Power and a CZ75. The CZ is noticeably more accurate than the Browning at 25yds.

Boolit Master

I went to the local shooting spot (old gravel pit, not a range) and ran four magazines of factory jacketed through the new SA-35.
    Too cold and windy to put up a target stand and paper. Paced off 25 yards and dropped a steel 3 lb. coffee can onto the ground. Went back to the truck, braced my forearms over the bed side, and looked for the can. Finally spotted where it had rolled to, with the shiny bottom still facing me (did I mention that the wind was blowing?) and sent six 115 gr. JHPs downrange. The can did not move.
    Annoyed, and wondering how far off the sights were, I walked over to inspect it, and found a nice 3-inch group punched into the bottom of the can. Went back to the truck, found the setting sun was now in my eyes, and proceeded to blast away with the rest of the 15-round magazine and then three more 13-rounders. Occasionally, the can would bounce. When I was done, I was quite cold and the can was quite riddled.
    Now, this is certainly not an exhaustive test, but I take great comfort in knowing my new pistol has, at the very least, service pistol accuracy.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I have been able to shoot one of the SA35 several times. The gun my friend bought was in the first thousand by serial number. With factory and reloads it has consistently been very accurate. If this gun would have been available on the market in 1970, the 1911 would be a footnote in firearms history. It has not jammed with any loads. We are at about 2 thousand rounds through it so far. He got it for retail and it was a heck of a bargain.

Boolit Master
    Two Hi Powers have passed thru my hands. I hate to tell you what I sold them for. The grip did not fit my hand. I have small hands and the double stack mag made the grip too wide, at least for me. I didn't shoot them enough to know how accurate they were.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    Old thread, but thought I'd weigh in since my long awaited SA-35 finally arrived at my dealer. I am very pleased with the look and feel of the gun and while the trigger did not make me say "Wow!", I do find it to be very acceptable. My tests have been very limited - only 3 mags of my Accurate 35-135A over 3.5 grns Titegroup fired at steel plates. Accuracy, like the trigger pull, seemed acceptable but my disappointment set in when I went to clean it. Lots of lead that came out in tiny slivers on a tight patch. I have used this same load in at least 6 different 9mm's, including a Springfield XDS 3.3 and have had zero leading in any of them. Given we're on castboolits, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this with their SA-35's? My alloy is WW+2% tin with White Label BAC. Would a few hundred rounds of FMJ possibly help? I feel like a traitor shooting FMJ but at least it's available and prices have moderated now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast