Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Identifying Enfield Part

Identifying Enfield Part

Seeking confirmation of a part as I replace wood in bubba sport Enfield.

Need to identify the metal band just behind the sight protector wings in this picture. This is the best image I could find showing the band. Wood I have has a location for this band so I need to put it in to cover the wood.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ishapore-2A1-Lee-Enfield-Rifle-7-62-NATO-308-Win-Made-1967.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	297964

I think that piece is part #37 in this schematic. Also requiring #38 and #39 to attach it.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...arts-list-no-1

Just looking for confirmation before I start ordering parts. I also wonder about what looks like tiny nails that go into the wood to pin the band in position. See them in picture and in wood but not in images of the inner barrel band or parts lists.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Mold
    Not quite. Part no. 37 in that schematic is a steel collar with a tapped boss that sits around the barrel under the stock and has a screw come through the bottom stock and thread into the boss. Its part of the complicated bedding system of the No1 Mk3. As far as i know the part that you need is not listed as a part, at leat in that schematic. Your best bet is to get a broken handguard and salvage the metal tab or get a good example and make your own.

Boolit Master
    Have a look at this, remembering the stock bolt sequence isn't correct.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Thanks. I still have some of the documentation you provided to drill down through but am starting to make a bit of progress. The screws and parts that one is missing when someone took a hack saw to the lower stock to "sporterize" the stock can make ordering replacement parts a challenge. Would be easier if my other No 1 Mk 3 wasn't in an actual sport stock which is nice enough but useless as an example for assembly.

I was able to stop the video at a point when the part was in clear view in the video. Will capture the image and see if by emailing it to some of the suppliers I can find one who has it. I'm going to be ordering a few parts so if I can get one more for same shipping that I don't make that is a "win".

If you mean use the metal tabs that hold down the handguard by clipping onto the barrel I can see where I might make that part from it. Might take a bit of work but I could see that being possible. They have that little metal band holding them to the barrel, I'm thinking that is what you are thinking of for wrapping the wood at the nose guard?

It also looks like I need that part that beds the barrel too. Along with spring and screw. Some other screws. Stacking swivel... and a partridge in a pear tree. BUT it is going to look so sweet once done.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Try this, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzF...K5qPxI5flVlOKA.

The official small arms identification chart. It takes a while to load.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    Try this, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzF...K5qPxI5flVlOKA.

The official small arms identification chart. It takes a while to load.
    Man I so love ctrl + to enlarge the browser contents. I see the part name there "Hand Guard Cap" That should help when it comes to searching for it. I can also see where the diameter and threads per inch are included for screws that should prove useful. If nothing else can possibly order one of them that is a longer machine screw of same size and threads to use by cutting it shorter or for wood screw possibly use something of right size from the hardware store if original can't be located. Although I'm guessing due to consistency of parts over time most stuff should be available someplace.

In a browser Ctrl + makes content bigger Ctrl 0 goes back to default size and Ctrl - makes contents smaller. Makes it easy to zoom in and read the fine detail in that excellent document.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 03-22-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Boolit Master

I believe you are looking for the front handguard cap and screws. During ww2 some were assembled with brass rivets. The items 37, 38 and 39 are the. Inner band, Inner band spring, screw and washer. Or the inner band group it should already be on the barrel.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    I believe you are looking for the front handguard cap and screws. During ww2 some were assembled with brass rivets. The items 37, 38 and 39 are the. Inner band, Inner band spring, screw and washer. Or the inner band group it should already be on the barrel.
    This rifle had the lower handguard cut off just in front of the rear barrel band, with the handguard also cut off under the band. I'm replacing that "sporterized" stock with proper military wood stock. I have nothing on the front end of the barrel but a blade sight. I have a nose guard with bayonet lug. Looks like I need that inner barrel band assembly, the handguard band, stacking swivel plus all the fasteners for the nose guard and stacking swivel. For some reason the parts schematic didn't have the handguard cap listed so I didn't know what to be looking or asking for.

Boolit Master

Check to make sure the barrel is of the correct length 25.18 inches. I rarely see a sporterized no1 with out the inner band assembly.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy

What you're calling "handguard cap" is part of the upper handguard, sheetmetal that is riveted to the front of the upper handguard to prevent / control splitting of the end of the upper handguard. It's not normally sold separately from the upper handguard.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    Check to make sure the barrel is of the correct length 25.18 inches. I rarely see a sporterized no1 with out the inner band assembly.

I reviewed the video and stopped as the handguard came off I I think I see that part back past the barrel band. I was under impression it went more toward the nose. I think I'm seeing some sort of pin behind the barrel band on mine that is where that inner band is located.

Attachment 298149

I don't need the handguard but... maybe with a call I can get the band alone OR a really crummy handguard that the vendor will check has that end cap for a better price. Even the poor quality handguards are significantly less than "good" handguards but I would want them to be aware of what part I really wanted from that damaged/poor handguard. Not just about the cost, which does matter.

There is also I can't throw out potentially usable parts and I'm trying to clear out the cruft I have collected not add to it. Is a real struggle. A good top hand guard I pulled the nose cap from would not be easy for me to pitch, it cost me money and it might be useful so better I don't buy it in the first place. I'm even selling or giving away tools. Have stuff I haven't needed to use in years selling it now I an turn the money into stuff I will use like casting and reloading or Enfield parts Besides I don't use a table saw enough to warrant two so I don't have to change to different type of blade as often. I don't do as many projects and I don't want to work that fast anyway.

I have a set of replacement wood already that is very nice and matches exceptionally well. Not likely to want to purchase a "nice" front hand guard for that small metal part. I'll call around a couple or three places and see what I can work out. If nothing else as suggested the clip for the rear handguard might be a good piece of metal stock to make one from, cheaper than front, have seen the rear handguard for sale with "ears" damaged for a very low price. I can if I have to fabricate with metal. Don't do enough in recent years to be good at it but have done it enough that I will tackle it if I have to. Been there, done that, just been awhile.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 03-25-2022 at 11:04 AM.