Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Parts for Lyman Sizers

Boolit Grand Master

Parts for Lyman Sizers

This is a question that I'm not sure where I should post, but I'll try here and see what happens. I'm interested in locating some repair parts for older (#1 and 45) Ideal and Lyman sizers. Does anyone know of a shop or even a hobbyist who might have parts for sale or trade? I'd happily receive information on this thread or by PM if anyone can give me a source. Moderators: this is not a solicitation directly to buy an item, just a request for information.

TIA~Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Lyman lists parts for the 450, the compression screw fits the 45….. just ordered one a while back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM sent

Lyman is good for supplying replacement parts. Just got some for the 55 dropper.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Lyman is good for supplying replacement parts. Just got some for the 55 dropper.
    Thanks, but the part I need now was last used on the #45 Sizer, a unit discontinued over 50 years ago. My immediate need is the cast iron cap on top of the lube reservoir to keep the pressure screw aligned. I need one for one of my #1s, but it looks like the same part was carried over to the #45, just painted orange. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Froggie
    Froggie

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Thanks, but the part I need now was last used on the #45 Sizer, a unit discontinued over 50 years ago. My immediate need is the cast iron cap on top of the lube reservoir to keep the pressure screw aligned. I need one for one of my #1s, but it looks like the same part was carried over to the #45, just painted orange. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Froggie
    Froggie
    The 45 had two or three different designs of Reservoir cap and there was a change in the top of the pressure screw to allow for the different design. Also, The top of the pressure screw of the #1 and the 45 are different and I believe the reservoirs have different ODs, so the reservoir cap is different. This all pertains to you wanting the correct reservoir cap, mostly likely you can make an incorrect one to work with some mods.

Fun Fact: the steel reservoir cap for the current 4500, sits inside the reservoir and can be easily made to work on all Lyman/Ideal sizers by drilling the hole to fit whatever pressure screw you have, but it's ugly.

I had a large box of spare parts for the 45, but sold them all as one lot to another member a few months ago...but sorry, can't remember his user name?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Froggie

over the years I've accumulated an Ideal #1 and 3 different #45's.. some of them needing repairs, up-grades and parts replacement.
    an older #45 has the same open casting reservoir cap as the #1.. I used a new pressure screw, O-ring pressure nut and flat machined reservoir cap, having BuckShot machine them as needed. I think he had to turn down the new reservoir cap so that the old casting would slide over it, and maybe open it as the pressure screw is now longer ? it's maybe been 15-20 years, so I'm doing my best to recall the details. but,
    the current Lyman parts; pressure screw, pressure nut(?) and reservoir cap will work (as a group) on the 45's

the lady that ran Lyman customer service was great at her job, even if at times she reminded me of a one armed paper hanger in a room full of cats at the rocking chair factory. She knew her stuff and once even called me back to tell me she had found what obscure item I had requested, and it was in the mail.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master
    Froggie
    Is this the part you are looking for? This came off of a Lyman 45 I bought new in 1960. It is the only part I have left from that sizer.If this is the part you are looking for let me know..

Boolit Grand Master
    To avoid questions, I thought I’d show a picture of the missing part, as borrowed from a “complete” unit. It just sits down on the reservoir tube, and with 4 big holes is obviously not air tight. As far as I can tell, it just keeps the pressure screw straight and upright.

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BF7AD8D5-1068-4A5E-971B-82F3467249F9.jpg   A9386279-2307-40C9-B942-DC75CFFA1FC9.jpg